Why become a member? ×

When this happens...and Bernie Goodfellow is a life saver

bassjim

Ok probably more of a "get it of me chest" rant but I'm gonna share...

Dont you just hate it when..

Last night I ended up in a venue which had about 7-8 coked out of their minds, pissed up, big and mean enough, yobos all shouting at each other , constantly reaffirming their undying love for one another whilst simultaneously threatening to beat the living sh*t out of one and other. Not exactly a great atmosphere. The landlord , let them get on with it. Probably because they were the only punters in the place. Unsurprisingly any one poking their heads in, unless also yobo on coke, would do a u turn and off they went.

When not talking/shouting utter sh*t to each other they danced in a piss take kind of way up close and in front of our female petrified dep singer.

Again , all fine with the landlord.

By the end of a long night (play till 1am policy) finally its the last number. To be fair by now there are probably about 30-40 people in total have drifted in there , most of which are also of the same mentality. The yobs have managed to keep it an almost women free environment. Bit like a football screen pub. Only a couple of either brave or emotionally attached to said yob fest are there.

Could not wait for that stagnant atmosphere sh*t of a gig to end. Usually a good gig at this place to play so disappointed that a few were allowed to reign supreme. Its now very possible we as a band will vote to not go back there again because of it. Shame as we have had some blinding gigs there in the past but it would seem its now yob territory. If other bands on this circuit we know affirm this is the case then thats it, defo no more playing here.

They weren't openly doing coke in front of anyone but I have been around long enough to know when folks are wired. A trip to the bogs for a top up and it keeps on going.Its just dangerous when these sort get on it. One sudden paranoid instance and it all kicks off.

All the talk we do here about tone, string height, what amp, where to place it, jazz, precision, fender good, fender bad, you name it ect ect suddenly dissipates into meaningless nothing when attempting to "entertain" the brain dead.

Bernie the life saver:

To add salt to the wound, a few hours before leaving for the gig, I changed my strings. Or at least I tried to as the machine head for the E string decided to break. I called Bernie as I have at the moment, no back up bass. (It is on its way but thats another story). He very kindly waited for me to arrive instead of going home for the evening, and not only repaired it but lent be a back up bass in case the worst happened. Then he changes the strings for me!!! How about that!!! What a guy eh? Bloody fantastic bloke.

All this extra behind the scenes activity to make sure the show goes on and to be the best I can be......for what?

maybe there is a funny side to this but I haven't reached it yet.

Utter deflating experience. Ok we got paid but quite frankly Id have rather of gone to see a mates band play or even better than that done the gig with him ( I dep for his band when I can).

Tonights venue however is a really nice place in a nice area so at least I can look forward to that.

Thanks for reading.I feel a lot better now. :D

Yes, I can second the OP recommendation. I bought my Rumour from another BCer but the bass was at Bernie's shop at the time having a set up. The seller used a heavier string than I do, Bernie kindly changed the strings to my specification even though I wasn't giving him any money. He even sent the bass to me - not sure if he actually received any money from the seller.

Each time I've spoken to Bernie he's been incredibly polite and civil even though, (I don't think) I've ever given him any money.

[quote name='6feet7' timestamp='1500745287' post='3339952']
Thats why I haven't played a gig (or even gone to one) in Brighton in years.
[/quote] it was eastbourne. last few gigs i did in brighton this last month were really good. no yobs

I've just moved to Eastbourne, will be avoiding that venue :(

Bernie is a top gent, he repaired my HD350 recently at a very reasonable rate, would absolutley recommend him.

Also, having tried one of his Spitfire 5 strings at the South East Bass Bash last year, it's on the list of basses I must own at some point.

Edited by Graham

yobs can afford coke up there?

to be fair, don't blame the coke. A yob is a yob regardless of his drug of choice.

I know plenty of coke users who are decidedly NOT yobs.

Like when people blame alcohol for their fighting. No, the alcohol just removed some of your inhibitions, your wish to fight is already there, waiting......

It's a shame when a pub gets known as a place that turns a blind eye to drugs or druggie behaviour. That's got to be difficult to turn around for the replacement landlord or landlady after the sh!t inevitably hits the fan and the management is sacked.

I hope this is the exception to the rule for you though. Although I think it would be hard not to come across nights like that occasionally in any given circuit.

That your singer was "courted" by those lummoxes... is that sort of thing still regarded as being an occupational hazard? Even if it is I'd understand why, as a band, you'd opt out of further bookings. Solidarity alone would dictate that.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1500898228' post='3340894']

[b]yob[/b][list]
[*]n. [i]Chiefly British Slang[/i] A rowdy, aggressive, or violent young man.
[/list]
[/quote]

Thank you.
I could have googled myself, but I trust the Basschat wisdom more than google ;-)

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1500847054' post='3340635']
I always thought Eastbourne was for retired wrinklies, and that it was yob free because of the said wrinklies
[/quote]

The wrinklies ran them out of town?? I know that you're supposed to respect your elders but I didn't think Yobs would... :D :D

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1500847054' post='3340635']
I always thought Eastbourne was for retired wrinklies, and that it was yob free because of the said wrinklies
[/quote]

I was there a couple of years ago. It's quite a vibrant place, even in late October. I was surprised.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1501079046' post='3342317']
Our local 'coke' pub now has carpet firmly glued to any useable surface, including the cistern lids. Still, where there's a will there's a way...
[/quote]

Hahahahaha! It must be like a throw back to the seventies! Anyone remember floor to ceiling carpeting? Carpeted bath panels? Cork tiling?

Er, would the last one to leave please switch off the lights?