Why become a member? ×

Ibanez BTB 1806

Guest subaudio

Guest subaudio

I'm researching bass gear to buy and re enter the bass world, and in my potential budget I keep coming back to these ( on paper, there are no shops to speak of anywhere near me )

Initially I was looking at a 5 string but something about these basses screams 6 strings to me.

I will over time buy more traditional basses as well, as funds allow, but these look great for the money.

I'm OK with a 6, my main bass for a long time was a Tobias Pro 6.

Any thoughts/experience with them please?

Edited by subaudio

Tried the close cousin of this bass a couple of years ago - the 1405. It sounded great although it had the nordstrand big singles as opposed to the Aguilars which the new series have, so make of that what you will. The neck is very flat but very wide, even on the fivers. Like an aircraft carrier deck. If you aren't used to that kind of width you may be in for a shock! If you are used to it then you'll feel right at home.

Guest subaudio

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1500821144' post='3340367']
Tried the close cousin of this bass a couple of years ago - the 1405. It sounded great although it had the nordstrand big singles as opposed to the Aguilars which the new series have, so make of that what you will. The neck is very flat but very wide, even on the fivers. Like an aircraft carrier deck. If you aren't used to that kind of width you may be in for a shock! If you are used to it then you'll feel right at home.
[/quote]

Thanks for that, the spec on the 6 is 17mm string spacing, the same as my old pro 6 from what I can find, which sounds maybe a bit easier than the 5, which I think is 19mm, my old Warwick LX5 was 16mm iirc and that was comfortable.

I had a jap Yammy BB 5 string, maybe a 1000 model, can't quite remember the model, but the string spacing was way too tight for me on that (it was my 1st proper bass so didn't know better)

I'm not up to speed on Nordstrom or Aguilar pickups I'm afraid, but what little video I've seen/heard of the 1806, they sound like they are played through an amp with some slight overdrive, not a clear, clean tone.

Would you know if that's how Aguilar's of the type in the 1806, actually sound through a clean amp?

Edited by subaudio

BTB series offer a hell of a lot for the money. I have not tried this particular model, but the ones I tried all were highly playable tone monsters that put a smile on my face. Personal opinion, you can't go wrong with these for the money they cost especially the Premium versions.

Guest subaudio

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1500825664' post='3340405']
BTB series offer a hell of a lot for the money. I have not tried this particular model, but the ones I tried all were highly playable tone monsters that put a smile on my face. Personal opinion, you can't go wrong with these for the money they cost especially the Premium versions.
[/quote]

Nice one, that's good news :)
Any insight on the clarity of Aguilar pups?

Guest subaudio

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1500827566' post='3340422']
I have the DCBs in one of my Bogarts, full, transparent, modern sounding pickups. Contemplating sticking them in all my Bogarts, i.e. Replacing the Barts they came with!
[/quote]

Nice one, cheers for that.

I've just been checking them out on other basses' videos, they sound cool.
Quite dark to my ear, a bit like something of a Warwick Thumb type tone, in a good way, dark and growly?

I wouldn't say they are particularly dark, they are quite even across the sonic spectrum and to me sound like a halway house between the warm tones of a Bart and the direct transparent nature of the EMGs. I could imagine that a "growly" bass would still be growly with the DCBs because they do not add or change much frequency wise. My Bogart is graphite necked with a composite body that sounds remarkably woody, the DCBs certainly do not sound overly dark in it. Warm yes, dark no.

I could btw imagine that in conjunction with an OBP pre they could sound a bit darker, Aguilar does tend to make their pre's on the darker side of the spectrum. I use a Glock 3 band pre, but often play passive which sounds great with the DCBs.

Guest subaudio

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1500831728' post='3340472']
I could btw imagine that in conjunction with an OBP pre they could sound a bit darker, Aguilar does tend to make their pre's on the darker side of the spectrum. I use a Glock 3 band pre, but often play passive which sounds great with the DCBs.
[/quote]

Cool, the vids I saw didn't go into which preamps, from what I've figured so far I like them :)
Good to see the love for them on here :)

• 5 weeks later...