Why become a member? ×

newbie here

marc1966

hi guys,i pick my first bass guitar up tuesday so im a total beginner as a starter ive bought a Axe Bass Guitar any tips would ber greatly appreciated. :)below is my new bass guitar any thoughts on this for a beginner please.ps.it was made in korea.

Edited by marc1966

Good afternoon, Marc, and ...

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167528]

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share. Nice bass; good call. Lessons, even a couple, from a genuine bass teacher, are worth every penny. None near you ..? Maybe have a look in the BC [url="http://basschat.co.uk/forum/26-tutors-available/"]Tutors Available ...[/url] section..?

Edited by Dad3353

Welcome Marc,

Plus one to the comment above. The earlier you can get to put your new knowledge into an ensemble situation the better. Play-alongs with recorded tracks are okay but only up to a point. You will only really know what the bass does for a piece of music by playing with other musicians.

Enjoy the trip..... because it [i]is[/i] a trip. (S'Express)

Hi
Here's the stuff I needed to know when I started and didn't get:[list=1]
[*]The role of bass is to play chords, just like a guitar, only you play each note rather than strum as you would on a guitar
[*]You can get away with playing root notes to start. So for a C chord, just play a C note in time to the music /drums. You can build from there.
[*]You may have to learn the basics playing along to songs in your bedroom but get into a band ASAP
[*]Don't assume the local bass teacher is any good. He may be, or he can be a great player with no idea how to teach.
[*]There are really good online courses for free (talkingbass.net) and paid for (Scotts Bass Lessons)
[*]Have fun. With all due deference to other commentators, starting with learning scales is NOT the way to go at first.
[*]If confused or stuck, ask on here.
[/list]

Edited by lownote12