Why become a member? ×

Sterling 5H - Where are they all?

Muppet

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1501144112' post='3342753']
I can also agree that if you want a Sterling 5, and you have to order, you may as well get the HS.
[/quote]

Is the "H" pickup in the same position in a HS configuration as in a standard H or is it moved closer to the bridge to accommodate the addition of the single coil pickup in the neck position?

By the way, I've got a Sterling 4H and it is indeed a wonderful thing. I also have a Spector Euro 5LX and at some point I might even consider swapping that for a Sterling 5 stringer.

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1501277979' post='3343845']

Is the "H" pickup in the same position in a HS configuration as in a standard H or is it moved closer to the bridge to accommodate the addition of the single coil pickup in the neck position?

By the way, I've got a Sterling 4H and it is indeed a wonderful thing. I also have a Spector Euro 5LX and at some point I might even consider swapping that for a Sterling 5 stringer.
[/quote]

Yep it sure is!!

I have a Sterling 5er. Marvellous thing and weighs around 8.5lbs. I had Andyjr1515 put a P pickup in the sweet spot (with reversed treble side), routed out a little wood under the new pickguard to offset the extra weight - it still weighs around 8.5lbs. And, importantly, it is black with a maple neck, too! :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1501317853' post='3343957']
Ha mine is Black with a maple neck too so I have got that bit right then :D
[/quote]

I chose a sunburst with rosewood over a black with maple Sterling 4H when I bought mine... :unsure:

• 1 month later...

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1501060912' post='3342099']

Best of luck searching for an ST5 - you could always order a new one - if it was me I'd go for an HS - adding the single coil to the single pick up Sterling sound adds significant bottom end and warmth to the sound when desired, gives a single coil option and you still get the single humbucker Magic as well when wanted.
[/quote]

The quest continues and I'm getting close to ordering a new one. For a regular (i.e. not custom build) model they're as rare as hen's teeth on the second hand market. . I am really hoping it's because owners just never want to move them on. Looks like you can't get a new HS 5 string now, just H or HH. So, It's down to colour and neck I guess......

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1504699787' post='3366665']
If it has a Rosewood board you'll have to factor in the cost of the export paperwork and the delay it will cause to the seller being able to ship it to you.
[/quote]

Good point - think the ebay one was ebony....

One thing that has always bugged me about the Stingray 5 is the shape of the headstock - the position of the lower tuner seems wrong somehow - however the shape of the Sterling 5's headstock is ok and to me looks more like a MM 5er should look. Am I alone in this? :huh:

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1504697464' post='3366634']
So to order, HH with matching headstock is £2,250 and six months wait time!!

There's a nice starry night on eBay in the US that would come in significantly under that, even with duty etc......
[/quote]

WHATTT!?!

The wait time I understand; the guitar side of MM has rocketed recently.

I hate to make the situation worse but I paid around £900 less than that for a Sterling 5 HS in tobacco burst/with rosewood board, and it was only a few years back.

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1500979011' post='3341409']
Ouch! is that why they're not so popular? Or are they not that good a bass?

Can you recommend somewhere good to order through?

Thanks

Steve
[/quote]

Make no mistake, the sterling basses are bloody amazing. I have small hands, so I can't get on with a stingray neck. Without ordering a new stingray with the slo (Sterling neck profile) neck, a Sterling was all I could get... LOVED it!!!!

The only reason I sold it was to fund the purchase of a second stingray 5 as this was now my main bass and wanted to concentrate on playing 5's

One reason you won't see many sterling 5's is due to the crazy design team at MusicMan. The original stingray 5's had an alnico pickup same as the stingray 4. Then around '92 they swapped to ceramic pickups, essentially making them more of sterling 5 than a stingray 5 (despite looking like neither bass, it really should have been a silhouette bass 5). They then switched the pickups back to ceramic In the stingray 5 (sometime around 2008 I think) also around this time the sterling 5 was release with ceramic magnets.

So if you can't find a sterling 5, try picking up a stingray 5 from 1992-2008 and you should get VERY close to the sterling 5 sound.

I've never played a sterling 5, so can't attest to the neck profile, but given it is already 17.5mm string spacing on the stingray 5 I can't see it being any smaller.

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1505302563' post='3370853']
Just on the HS config

Just be mindful, the main humbucker comes wired in series only, whereas the standard H has the three way option of parallel-single coil-series. Thus making it more difficult to nail the classic stingray 4 sound as you can't get the parallel wiring.
[/quote]

How is the HH wired? You can't order a HS from new any more it seems.

I'm not 100% on that as I seem to recall someone saying you have the option on the HH to select series or parallel on the bridge H, then the furthest position is the neck H isolated. The remaining positions were different combinations. But then the sr5 HH that is currently for sale on here says it is series only, so maybe there are different options?