Why become a member? ×

Hofner '67 Selmer Era Violin Bass and Case sold pending
£795

ash

Here is my 1967 Hofner Violin in excellent condition. It plays and sounds great and is strung with LaBella flats. It comes with original case and the original Selmer strap. The case smells a bit musty owing to the age but it works well. The bass is a superb example, very easy to play and in great cosmetic condition. The bass has the later larger control panel and blade pickups. One pickup is a modern Hofner replacement however the original is included. It will need a rewind/attention as it's low output hence the replacement. A reluctant sale but I am downsizing. A nice vintage Hofner at a realistic price. No trades please. Pickup preferred. UK only.

Edited by ash

To clarify some queries - the bass was purchased as a '67 violin however it's difficult to confirm exact dates. The Selmer era had a pretty arbitrary and non-sequential serial number system. Identifiable by 4 digits stamped on the headstock. Hofner experts tend to date these basses on the sum of their parts and features. There are many anomalies as Steve Russell's excellent Hofner book will confirm. The serial could make it as early as '66 and as late as '71 however the machinehead type, preh pots, logo engraved blade pickups and panel details would suggest it as a '67. Other features suggest a later date. The logo has a small gold script and thus may be a transitional logo. The fretboard has binding and dots. The nut has the earlier black and white material and the truss rod cover is the bell type. The case and Selmer strap would also suggest late '60s.
So to ensure no one is disappointed I would say this is a Selmer imported bass from between '67 and '71.
It remains a classic bass in superb condition and a bargain price.

Cheers

That's right. The Hofner basses of the time are impossible to date as precisely as say Fenders. Things have changed now. Amongst mine, I have one I call a mid 70s 500/1 because it is definitely after 1970 and definitely before 1979. I don't even have the Selmer stamp to go by.
Point is if you are going to want it looking exactly like Sir Macca's you have to check every feature and you won't go past 64-65. The 70s tend to be cheaper because of the visual differences to McCartney's one: darker sunburst, black control knobs, metal tuners, blade pickups...
But ultimately you are still buying an original, iconic (and idiosyncratic) hand made instrument which is collectible whilst sounding awesome, I haven't seen this one but at the price it seems a no brainer: a vintage bass for the price of mass produced a Asian ones....

Thanks Rabbie - I've owned two 64's with different features, different logo types and pickup frames one with a Selmer era serial stamp and one without. I also owned a '70s one with a small silver sticker with the serial number on. Hofner themselves weren't really bothered about serial numbers in the early days although there are body number stamps on some sixties basses apparently but you have to use a dental mirror to see them as they are hard to reach!

I'm pretty sure that's a '67. Hofner experimented with a one-piece back in 63/64, discontinued, tried again in 1967, then ceased for a long time.

Every '68 and '69 I've ever seen had the more common two-piece back.

Mind you, as already pointed out, Hofner had zero interest in consistency and ran fairly large parts bins. It's quite possible that your bass has a one-piece back made in 1967 but which was not incorporated into an actual bass until a few years later. If so, then that would be the first example I've ever seen, but it's perfectly possible.

More importantly, that price for a genuine German-made Hofner is excellent [[i]trans. - "cheap"[/i]], regardless of the exact date. My lovely 1964 means that I really can't justify buying this, but GLWTS.

Thanks Jack - whoever gets it won't be disappointed. I have done a lot of research on the subject and owned several Hofner Violin basses. Very early 60's through to late 80's and three reissues - all have had unique characters very different from the feel of Contemporary Series or Ignition basses. This one has the nicest action and neck of any 60's Hofner bass I've owned. It is a reluctant sale but I need to shift it hence the low price.