Why become a member? ×

Your Business Plan

blue

If you were starting your own business, A working Rock Band. What would your model look like?

Where would you start,

How would you finance or get the capital,

How much capital and primary investments

How would you recruit musicians.

How and where would you book the band

What type and size venues

You don't work a full time job and can dedicate all your time to your venture.

You band should be ready to hit the road in one year with a sound mission statement.

No need to get granular. Just give us a high level summary of your ideas or what you think you would do.

Blue

Edited by blue

[color=black]I’ve started numerous working bands before. It’s pretty easy if you dedicate the time to it and doesn’t feel like a job at all.[/color]
[color=black] [/color]
[color=black]The financial investment would be quite a way down my list of priorities. Obviously there will be some funding required in respect of advertising (setting up website, promo etc) but this isn’t a huge outlay in my experience.[/color]
[color=black] [/color]
[color=black]Having a good image is everything in today’s market - unfortunate as it may be.[/color]
[color=black] [/color]
[color=black]Musically, I would definitely use a click track to keep the tempos on an even keel – been let down by too many drummers in the past.[/color]
[color=black] [/color]
[color=black]Rehearsals once a week to begin with and then once a month once band has a calendar of gigs. I would target bars to begin with, moving on to festivals.[/color]
[color=black] [/color]
[color=black]I would have an album of original material too once the band has developed a sound, this will help secure support slots for larger acts as most aren’t interested in having a cover band open up for them.[/color]

It would have to be a tribute band. Targeting large clubs. A year would be far too long. I'd expect professional musicians to be up to speed with a two hour set within a week of whole day rehearsals.

Financially you'd need enough money to pay for a solid week of rehearsals, rooms and musicians. I'd be expecting to hire a PA in for each gig if required otherwise I'd expect the venue to have PA.

Couple of hundred quid for stage clothing.

5th man would be sound engineer.

1st gig would be a promo gig, photographed, videoed and sound recorded. £2k for production of materials (video, website, etc) from the gig.

Write, or know someone who can write, great songs. The rest follows. Its no secret that the vast majority of successful acts have great songs, thats how they become successful. If you have great songs the music business throws money and opportunity at you. The technology for making quality demmos is available to all so It can easily be done without you having to borrow anything. If you have the songs.

Edited by mikel

[quote]I'd expect professional musicians to be up to speed with a two hour set within a week of whole day rehearsals. [/quote]

[color=black]I think that is even too long. If I were to hire a band of professional musicians and pay them for rehearsal, I’d expect them to know the material as per the original recording for the first play-through. The rehearsal would be necessary only for amending arrangements (which in theory could be done in advance too with demo recordings or simply performance notes the song in question)[/color]

[color=black] [/color]

[color=black]All the above assuming it’s a covers band type setup.[/color]

Once I secured the $100,000.00 I would start researching how other successful bands started.

I haven't spent any money yet. I've never done this so I'm being very careful.

Finding a consultant might be where I start.

Blue

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1501073146' post='3342255']

[color=black]I think that is even too long. If I were to hire a band of professional musicians and pay them for rehearsal, I’d expect them to know the material as per the original recording for the first play-through. The rehearsal would be necessary only for amending arrangements (which in theory could be done in advance too with demo recordings or simply performance notes the song in question)[/color]

[color=black] [/color]

[color=black]All the above assuming it’s a covers band type setup.[/color]
[/quote]

I haven't defined my band yet, however I'm thinking when I get to hireing musicians and a band manager I'll recruit from s hooks like Berklee & Juliard.

Blue

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1501058750' post='3342069']
Write, or know someone who can write, great songs. The rest follows. Its no secret that the vast majority of successful acts have great songs, thats how they become successful. If you have great songs the music business throws money and opportunity at you. The technology for making quality demmos is available to all so It can easily be done without you having to borrow anything. If you have the songs.
[/quote]

Good idea.

I haven't defined what type of band mine is. Inn bit sure what comes first band concept or songs.

Blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1501058709' post='3342067']
It would have to be a tribute band. Targeting large clubs. A year would be far too long. I'd expect professional musicians to be up to speed with a two hour set within a week of whole day rehearsals.

Financially you'd need enough money to pay for a solid week of rehearsals, rooms and musicians. I'd be expecting to hire a PA in for each gig if required otherwise I'd expect the venue to have PA.

Couple of hundred quid for stage clothing.

5th man would be sound engineer.

1st gig would be a promo gig, photographed, videoed and sound recorded. £2k for production of materials (video, website, etc) from the gig.
[/quote]

I don't think anyone is off to great start, including me

Tim is the only one that has defined his band and venue target. I'm not sure his research indicated whether or not there's a viable market for tribute bands in large clubs.

For the sake of this exercise, let's say there is.

Tim your further along than most of us.

Blue

Edited by blue

start from where you want to get to and work backwards: It's not "I've got $100k, how far will it get me?" it's "I want the band to be playing X nights a week at Y sized venues, getting paid $Z, how much investment do I need to get there?"

It's going to be the interaction between X, Y and Z that sets a lot of the rest. And to find out realistic numbers you're going to have to do a lot of market research.

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1501087309' post='3342413']
start from where you want to get to and work backwards: It's not "I've got $100k, how far will it get me?" it's "I want the band to be playing X nights a week at Y sized venues, getting paid $Z, how much investment do I need to get there?"

It's going to be the interaction between X, Y and Z that sets a lot of the rest. And to find out realistic numbers you're going to have to do a lot of market research.
[/quote]

Agreed, you should know how long it's going to take to pay back the loan and turn a profit.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1501087309' post='3342413']

[/quote]

Yes. When you start a project, you have a plan and then work out how much it will cost, whether it's viable and then trim the plan to suit.

The only problem with all this planning and expenditure is.....its the music business, its art. You can have all the gear and all the musicians in place, but if the gig promoters and punters dont buy into it you are sunk. Oh, and 100k in debt. If you have the songs, on demo, and the music business likes them, everything else follows.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1501101367' post='3342584']
The only problem with all this planning and expenditure is.....its the music business, its art. You can have all the gear and all the musicians in place, but if the gig promoters and punters dont buy into it you are sunk. Oh, and 100k in debt. If you have the songs, on demo, and the music business likes them, everything else follows.
[/quote]

My band might be what I'll call a regional or national bar band. Not sure how I'll spend the money yet.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1501084396' post='3342380']
Once I secured the $100,000.00 I would start researching how other successful bands started.

I haven't spent any money yet. I've never done this so I'm being very careful.

Finding a consultant might be where I start.

Blue
[/quote]

I would suggest reading a book called something like Dangerous In Any Company before hiring consultants.

Edited by ead

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1501101367' post='3342584']
[/quote]

Quite. I'd limit any project to 3 months. If it's not flying by the middle of the second month I'd be looking at an exit strategy.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1501103435' post='3342603']

I would suggest reading a book called something like Dangerous In Any Company before hiring consultants.
[/quote]

Good idea. I can't seem to come up with much of any kind of plan.

Blue

The way I see it, you can do all the planning and have all the mission statements but the music business has never worked like: A to B to C to D to E = success and money.

To me the music business works like: Talent..... Being in the right place at the right time,..... Luck,.........Longevity,.......Hard work = success and possibly, If you are really lucky, money. Put that business plan to a bank manager.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1501115622' post='3342655']
Good idea. I can't seem to come up with much of any kind of plan.

Blue
[/quote]

It's a tricky business. I think were i to be asked to do something like this I'd start from the 'sales' plan. That is to say answer the following questions:

What am I selling?
What is the competition?
What is the market value of my product/service?
How can I differentiate my offer?
Where/how do people buy these products/services?
How can I best deliver my product/service?
What do I want to get out of each transaction?

Once you think you have the basic answers to the above then I think it might help you work out what to do next.

Looking at it from a business perspective, and given a $100,000.00 budget, I think starting a rock band would be very far down on the list of projects advisable to invent in.

The market is extremely saturated by bands (both covers, and originals) and the glass ceiling you will inevitably hit is, for the most part, dictated by luck and the fancy of the higher ups.

For example: there's a million Ed Sheeran's out there (some far more capable than him and with better songs) and yet he's making millions and they're not. Why is that?

My advice would be to invest the $100,000 into a more viable business, unless you can afford to take the chance.