Why become a member? ×

Your Business Plan

blue

[quote name='progben' timestamp='1501157854' post='3342910']
For example: there's a million Ed Sheeran's out there (some far more capable than him and with better songs) and yet he's making millions and they're not. Why is that?
[/quote]
"Better" is such a meaningless description when applied to a song. They've got to write songs people like more than they like Ed Sheeran's songs then they'll make their millions.

My business plan all those years ago went thus:-

I'm never going to make money out of my music so settle down to forging a career and play music for enjoyment. Retired from career and still enjoying playing music. I'm comfortable, so in retrospect not a bad business plan.

Mind you. Out of our five- piece one became a successful songwriter, Cliff, Hollies, Elvis; singer recorded, including TV sigtunes, her husband went into music and manufactured hifi. So did our drummer who also toured. And the baby joined Dire Straits.

Still think I got it right tho'

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1501196295' post='3343335']
Well If anything I've learned that business is not my thing. I failed. I couldn't come up with anything.

Blue
[/quote]

Worth the try though, mate.

Probably because for musicians its not a "Business", its a calling. You could have the best bar band in the state but If a bar owner wants to put on a band who will play for nothing, Instead of your band that needs to earn to live, there is nothing you can do about it. You may believe your band is better , and worth there money, but If the bar owner thinks the punters will still get drunk and dance to a free, or cheaper band than yours, he will do it.

The only "Music business" is run by the record companies and promoters.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1501235522' post='3343457']

Worth the try though, mate.

Probably because for musicians its not a "Business", its a calling. You could have the best bar band in the state but If a bar owner wants to put on a band who will play for nothing, Instead of your band that needs to earn to live, there is nothing you can do about it. You may believe your band is better , and worth there money, but If the bar owner thinks the punters will still get drunk and dance to a free, or cheaper band than yours, he will do it.

The only "Music business" is run by the record companies and promoters.
[/quote]

Well, I certainly don't think my band is any better musically than other regional bar bands, far from it.

We are however IMO better at certain things like booking. We also have a young female front, lead guitarist and lead vocalist that sets us apart from many other blues/rock bar bands. She alone keeps us away from what I call " 4 old guys on stage" syndrome.

We're also drama free and ego free.The only time we see each other is at gigs. We don't take ourselves that seriously. I've been in bands that had drama and ego issues and IMO it's laughable and a big joke. Also the main reason many bands fall apart.

BTW, you guys refer to drinks a lot. We don't see much of that at all. You get a DUI over here, your looking at 10 grand minimum after all is said and done.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1501245198' post='3343553'] Well, I certainly don't think my band is any better musically than other regional bar bands, far from it. We are however IMO better at certain things like booking. We also have a young female front, lead guitarist and lead vocalist that sets us apart from many other blues/rock bar bands. She alone keeps us away from what I call " 4 old guys on stage" syndrome. We're also drama free and ego free.The only time we see each other is at gigs. We don't take ourselves that seriously. I've been in bands that had drama and ego issues and IMO it's laughable and a big joke. Also the main reason nany bands fall apart. BTW, you guys refer to drinks a lot. We don't see much of that at all. You get a DUI over here, your looking at 10 grand minimum after all is said and done. Blue [/quote]

welcome to British drinking culture!

Drunk driving is very much frowned upon, and (in theory at least) you can get a prison sentence just for sitting behind the wheel of a stationary car if you're over the limit, and beyond that is completely socially unacceptable (not that people don't do it). Speaking personally I always understood that the choice was drinking [b]or[/b] driving, never both, so I never learned to drive. I have never regretted that decision.

Possibly the other thing (and I'm speculating here) is distance - typically we don't go too far to drink and if we don't have a sober driver it'll be within train, bus or taxi distance to get home. So we can concentrate on drinking and not worry about needing to drive afterwards.

However, I had a chat (in a pub) about this not long ago with a friend who is from your side of the pond - she was telling me that her sister (who has had a drinking problem since teenage years) has now recognised that she is an alcoholic and has stopped drinking booze and started going to AA. I, only half jokingly, told her how I couldn't imagine how to cope with a social life where i couldn't drink any more - a lot of seeing friends, playing in bands, etc involves being in the pub at some point, and how can you do that if you know you can't ever drink alcohol?

She patiently explained to me that 1. it is possible to go to the pub and not drink alcohol (still not sure I believe her on that one, unless you're the designated driver); and 2. the idea that going to the pub means shoving beer into your face until you: a) puke; b ) fall over; or c) puke and fall over, isn't the culture on the other side of the Atlantic, and that people will go to a bar just to meet friends and have a coffee or have a meal.

You are a strange people.

Edited by Monkey Steve

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1501245198' post='3343553']
Well, I certainly don't think my band is any better musically than other regional bar bands, far from it.

We are however IMO better at certain things like booking. We also have a young female front, lead guitarist and lead vocalist that sets us apart from many other blues/rock bar bands. She alone keeps us away from what I call " 4 old guys on stage" syndrome.

We're also drama free and ego free.The only time we see each other is at gigs. We don't take ourselves that seriously. I've been in bands that had drama and ego issues and IMO it's laughable and a big joke. Also the main reason many bands fall apart.

BTW, you guys refer to drinks a lot. We don't see much of that at all. You get a DUI over here, your looking at 10 grand minimum after all is said and done.

Blue
[/quote]

I wasnt saying you did think you were better, I was simply putting it from a gig or bar owners perspective. If they can get music cheap, or free, they can and will. Thats why you can plan everything to the max, but in the end its out of your hands.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1501248979' post='3343617']

I wasnt saying you did think you were better, I was simply putting it from a gig or bar owners perspective. If they can get music cheap, or free, they can and will. Thats why you can plan everything to the max, but in the end its out of your hands.
[/quote]

Understood

Cheap is a relative term. In my neck of the woods free is unheard-of out side of charities,benefits and the few originals clubs.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1501257879' post='3343680']
Understood

Cheap is a relative term. In my neck of the woods free is unheard-of out side of charities,benefits and the few originals clubs.

Blue
[/quote]

Whatever, good luck man, and keep on keeping on. :)