Why become a member? ×

DI Box

Guest gazzatriumph

Guest gazzatriumph

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Hi all, I recently sold my back up amp and generally downsized my gear. I was thinking about getting a DI Box as a back up in case my amp/cab went down. If the worst happened and the amp packed in can I plug the bass in to the DI Box and then in to a small PA ? will only be playing small venue's. What would the PA have to have to play bass through. Can anyone recommend a cheapish but fairly decent DI Box for my needs, cheers[/size][/font][/color]

Radial StageBug SB-2, super small passive DI that is affordable and will do what you need. I have one and it has saved my bandmates a few times now in live situations when we needed and extra DI for keys, synth or an acoustic guitar.

The SB-1 is the active one that needs phantom power to operate and is a good alternative if you are using a passive bass only, without any pedals or a preamp.

Edited by Byo

[quote name='Byo' timestamp='1501111657' post='3342648']
Radial StageBug SB-2, super small passive DI that is affordable and will do what you need. I have one and it has saved my bandmates a few times now in live situations when we needed and extra DI for keys, synth or an acoustic guitar.

The SB-1 is the active one that needs phantom power to operate and is a good alternative if you are using a passive bass only, without any pedals or a preamp.
[/quote]

This. I also have the SB-2 and it's great. Passive, sounds great, built well. I don't think I'll ever sell mine!

Whilst these are all excellent suggestions, it seems like you're wanting this as an amp replacement or a backup? In that case, maybe you want more of a bass preamp with a built in DI? What about the industry standard Tech 21 Sansamp, the MXR M80 or the Hartke Bass Attack as suggestions?

The PA would idealy need subs (to carry the bass frequencies to the audience) and monitors (so you can hear yourself). If it's just a mixing desk into speakers (with no processing) then the bass sound through a 'proper' di box will be very dry and sterile, hence my suggestions for bass specific DIs above.

Guest gazzatriumph

I've decided on either the Radial SB1 or 2 I have a Warwick corvette double buck but only use the passive option on the bass, should which one should I go for.

Well the SB1 is phantom powered...will you have guaranteed access to phantom power in all the situations you'll be using it? If so then go for it. How long a distance do you usually have to cover from the DI box to mixer/interface? If you're having to cover really long distances then the active SB1 is the better choice but if your cable runs won't be that long then you have very little to lose by going for the passive SB2.

I have the SB2 and it's great; compact, bulletproof and great sound. I love the simplicity of a passive box.

Unless your passive mode has a very low output, the SB2 will be fine (see also the cable length factor above but that's never been an issue for me, despite some pretty big venues)