Why become a member? ×

60s Precision Replacement Pickups... Recommendations needed!

I have tried most of them at one time or another and the Fralin P I currently have is the best for my tastes.

Having said that, I also really , really like the Wilkinson ceramic P, which costs about £15. I think its a question of trying a load and finding something that sounds like the sound in your head. Cost does not necessarily always mean better tone with pickups IMO.

Sorry, its not a hugely helpful answer.

From the start Lindy Fralin always got good reviews. I tried SD and Bartolini pickups on my P bass about 30 years ago and the Barts are still there.

There are loads of Fender replacement pickups that sound amazing, but, to my ear, Fender pickups have a sound that just takes me back. Not all of them are great pickups and you'd have to do some homework to find the ones that were the best and suited you but when I plugged my Fender Jazz in for the first time and got that Fender sound again it was like a time machine back to when bass just sounded right.

• 2 weeks later...

[b]I've always used Duncan antiquities. The "Pride" pickup is near identical to the tone of Fenders L series pups, but with a more defined and tighter low end..
I always remove the stock Fender jobs, they never have enough punch and the bottom end sounds sterile and flabby to my ears. I have an original '63 jazz under the bed, I'd change the pickups on that too, but its never been touched.
I'll go against the grain: Had a set of Frailins in one of my jazz basses. Can't say I was that fussed.
Good luck with it......[/b]