Why become a member? ×

Warwick Rockbass - any experience?

King Tut

Has anyone got one of the later Warwick Rockbasses? I've got a real hankering for a Fortress but they seem to be as rare as rocking horse pooh at the moment.

I had a look at Warwick's youtube vid of their Rock Bass Fortress and it all looked quite spiffing, but £800 odd seems a bit much to pay for what was once their budget range . . . .

thoughts?

Had a Rockbass. Thought I liked it, then found the Custom shop gear to be sooo much better - see #50 in the attached thread:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/295661-warwick-streamer-advice-please/page__st__30__p__3294212__hl__best%205%20string__fromsearch__1#entry3294212

I managed to get a lovely Warwick $$ second hand (no way was I in the market for a new one - they're about £2,500+) for a similar price to what I paid for a new Rockbass and which Grangur has kindly restored to mint (for a modest fee - much better value than on the high street - so a little freebie plug for my fellow BCer!).

The difference between the Custom made Warwicks and their Rockbass models is, for me, a lot more than difference between a Fender American and a Fender Mex.

I bought a new Streamer Std 5 a couple of years ago, got it from an Italian site for about £280! Prices have shot up to around £500 since but it looks like the bass is identical.

The pickups are very low output on this particular model, but I don't think this applies to the rest of the range. I had to had an active pre, but it now sounds great. The carolena body is light but very soft and easy to ding.

But onto the good bits that would be common across the range - it's the most comfortable 5 string neck I've ever played, it's nice and light, the neck is very stiff, the fretwork is great and the neck pocket as tight as can be. It's very well built and the low B rings out like a bell.

The Fortress looks to be priced well above this one, but with nicer woods and electronics. I expect you'd be very happy with one!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1501167193' post='3343020']
The carolena body is light but very soft and easy to ding.
[/quote]

Avoid "carolena"! We all would if they called it by its better known name. There's a reason it is light and dings easily: it's just "pine".