Why become a member? ×

Is there another Bass Selling Market better than BassChat.?

bubinga5

I think for general purchase BC is the best in Europe. But market is not monolithic. For ex, in Italy we have mercatinomusicale.com. i think IT is the best marketPlace for certain kind of instruments, like italian production of course. This is true for mid80's italian Electric basses and more for High End Double basses.

Edited by concertoni2

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1502051511' post='3349040']
Somebody sent me details of this forum/site when I was looking for something specific. Some really nice gear available.

[url="https://www.zikinf.com/annonces/liste.php?rub=7"]https://www.zikinf.c...liste.php?rub=7[/url]

Edit: [b]DON'T LOOK!!![/b]

I will not be held responsible for your GAS when you see what's available here. I'm having GAS issues and I really don't need anything!
[/quote]

Yeah thanks!
I can't unsee this now....
https://www.zikinf.com/annonces/dispannonce.php?annonce=1447254
Brother in law lives nearby...

I have to say that selling on a couple of bass specific sales groups on Facebook has yielded quicker results for me than BC. The same with eBay, but of course the cost is the downside there.

Selling on those FB groups with collection only (or a close to home meet up) has worked well tbh & totally free. The ability to post on those directly with hi-res photo's I reckon helps too, together with ease of access as most people go on FB via their mobiles.

I understand the reason why, but the compressed photo's on here just don't look as good & clicking onto say a Photobucket link or similar can quite often be a ballache.

Saying that, stuff does sell on here & I probably look at the Marketplace every day (whilst wishing I was wealthier!).

BC's Marketplace is still definitely a valid place to advertise bass gear but regrettably, I'm not convinced it's the best option anymore.

[quote name='bassatnight' timestamp='1501178594' post='3343164']
Basschat used to be a great place to buy or sell gear 8-10 years ago and I made a lot of bass playing buddies through sales but as it grew in popularity, so did the amount of time wasters and jokers who think helpful comments about the gear your selling flourished. I used to buy and sell a lot on here about 7 years ago but just got fed up with meaningless messages and comments that potentially scupper your sale with personal unhelpful opinions. But having said that it's still a great place for more realistic prices as opposed to eBay.
[/quote]
[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1501232855' post='3343421']
I. Would have to agree with this I have been messed about on bc that much that I have given up selling basses and bigger items on the site it's not the sites fault but like every thing the site has grown and thus more idiots and lowballers on the site I'd rather pay the eBay fees and still get the same amount of money or more than I would on bc
[/quote]

Interesting thread

I agree with these two comments

• 2 months later...

I prefer to buy on here, I do definitely find that items sell better and faster on Facebook though, and often for more money. I was threatened with getting banned on here recently for adding an item to a sales advert. I genuinely didn't realise that you couldn't do that. Anyway I put the offending item on to Facebook and it sold within 10 minutes, for more than I was asking on here.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1508240310' post='3390718']
I prefer to buy on here, I do definitely find that items sell better and faster on Facebook though, and often for more money. I was threatened with getting banned on here recently for adding an item to a sales advert. I genuinely didn't realise that you couldn't do that. Anyway I put the offending item on to Facebook and it sold within 10 minutes, for more than I was asking on here.
[/quote]

Sledgehammer...nut?

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1508240310' post='3390718']
[/quote]

Yeah I had a similar experience myself re: adding items to a sale thread. Had no idea it was against the rules!

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1508345725' post='3391558']
Yeah I had a similar experience myself re: adding items to a sale thread. Had no idea it was against the rules!
[/quote]

An extract from the Marketplace Rules & Guidelines the full version is linked to in my Signature below...

[quote]...
9) The following will result in an advert being removed without prior notice.

i) Adding any extra items to any pre-existing advert.
ii) Adverts containing multiple items not having a valuation amount that reflects the combined value of those items.
iii)Trade adverts that do not show the cash equivalent of the item being traded.
[/quote]

I would presume that either these R & G were not read before posting ads, or were not clear enough to be understood. What can be done to make things more evident, to avoid such 'issues' in the future..?
I've not come across any case of infraction that gives rise to a ban, without there being some sort of 'back story', such as repeated misdemeanours, and even then only for serious misconduct.
Just sayin', for balance. :mellow:

In this digital age, do any of us read the R&G's in any fine detail, especially if from a hand -held device?

If for example ( like I did last week) I added a hard case to my Bass Sale Advert to sweeten the deal, is that an infraction? Taken at face value and literally according to (9i) quoted above, it would appear so...?

Not being (too) pedantic here but maybe the rules need to be clearer: just sayin :D

I actually revived this thread to highlight a positive experience so I'm not just 'havin a go'!

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1508348260' post='3391597']
In this digital age, do any of us read the R&G's in any fine detail, especially if from a hand -held device?

If for example ( like I did last week) I added a hard case to my Bass Sale Advert to sweeten the deal, is that an infraction? Taken at face value and literally according to (9i) quoted above, it would appear so...?

Not being (too) pedantic here but maybe the rules need to be clearer: just sayin :D

I actually revived this thread to highlight a positive experience so I'm not just 'havin a go'!
[/quote]

Adding a (free...) hard case as a sweetener would be OK. Adding a hard case and upping the price, or offering the case as a separate item, would not.
It's especially flagrant when we see ads for a whole shed load of pedals, for instance, with a list that changes as the items are sold and new'uns added. Pays for one ad, gets (in theory...) an infinite number of sales..! Not on, we say; not on. Honest mistakes can be catered for, with a PM to any Mod, but ignorance of the T & C's is usually spotted, and a reminder is the usual 'first response'. It keeps us Mods on our toes, though, so it's not [i]all [/i]bad..! :rolleyes:

[quote name='bassatnight' timestamp='1501178594' post='3343164']
Basschat used to be a great place to buy or sell gear 8-10 years ago and I made a lot of bass playing buddies through sales but as it grew in popularity, so did the amount of time wasters and jokers who think helpful comments about the gear your selling flourished. I used to buy and sell a lot on here about 7 years ago but just got fed up with meaningless messages and comments that potentially scupper your sale with personal unhelpful opinions. But having said that it's still a great place for more realistic prices as opposed to eBay.
[/quote]

I feel the same way about Talkbass. While I've talked with people there that seem to be nice, some of the longer term members feel some sort of right to post snarky comments about what you're selling, and even get snarky about your opinions. I don't buy $5,000 basses and don't feel a need to brag about my worth or status as a musician. Yeah, you'll find a lot of high end basses for a lot of money. But try to sell one there? Just wait for the bitchy comments to roll in. A $400 bass you'd like to get maybe $200 plus shipping-- you'll get nastygrams asking why you're 'ripping off' on the price.

eBay is really no better, there are so many scoundrels there that eBay has to have strong rules to contain all the scammers, and it's actually worked against me. Recently I placed a bid on a bass and as I pulled the trigger I had buyer's remorse. I immediately selected "cancel transaction" and was kindly informed that eBay will do everything possible to cancel. Well, guess what-- they did nothing. So now I have a bass coming to me that I properly cancelled and some woman from India informed me in pig English that I'll have to do the whole return thing and pay for shipping back.

So most places are a crap shoot at best. Hard to beat in person sales. Does Thomann sell used? They seem to have a sterling reputation.

Good luck with your hunts.