Why become a member? ×

NBD - the Psilos Bass...

TheGreek

:D[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color] :D[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color] :D[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color] :D[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color] :D[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][i]Sorry...can't get this stupid grin off my face.... :D[/i][i] :D :D :D :D[/i]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So following a pretty sleepless night as a result of anxiety, anticipation and some gunfire and helicopters ([i]I kid you not[/i]) I'm up at the crack of dawn to get everything sorted for the arrival of the Psilos Bass - oh yeah...and Andy....[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]He arrives with Bass in hand ([/font][/color][i]well, case actually[/i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]) and we get ready to reveal the Bass.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"[/font][/color][i]What's the problem[/i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]" you ask, "[/font][/color][i]you've been following the build thread so you know what you're getting"[/i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]...That's just it, already having a bass built (re-built?) for me by Andy tells me that it's bound to exceed my expectations. And so it does....[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I open the case that it has arrived in and take the bass out. Well I think I do because at 7lb and a few little bits it feels like it's floating away. By far the lightest bass I've ever had my hands on and it makes everything that's gone before it feel like the core of a collapsed Sun. Only when you have this in your hands do you realise that there's probably no reason to have 10lb basses.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Next thing that hits me is the texture/finish of the timber - that satiny feel that comes with craftsman built instruments - reminding me why I'm buying back my old green Overwater from Ben in France. Obviously the neck profile is going to be spot on, it's borrowed from a Bass Collection Nanyo which are my favourite low budget basses, IMHO the best [/font][/color][s]value[/s][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] basses on the market. Combine the feel and the profile and it's like the bass is playing itself. This is helped by the DR Neon white 40 gauge strings and within seconds I'm feeling the Bass's "character" - that immeasurable quality that comes with all instruments but is more profound in exquisitely hand built items like this. Anybody who's picked up an ACG, a GB or similar quality items knows what I mean.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So I'm playing it sitting down. Near perfect balance, not even a hint of dive from either end, sits perfectly comfortably on the knee which may be a bit surprising really as it doesn't conform to any of the more common shapes you'd associate with a bass. I feel the bass playing itself - my hands flying up and down the strings and frets effortlessly - it's almost erotic.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Andy insists we put it on a strap to see how it feels. Again the balance is spot on, the Bass hangs exactly where you'd want it to. Obviously more of the Andyjr1515 magic he instils in every instruments he touches. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Andy explains what each of the controls does, master volume, pan and tone for each of the pick ups - a Piezo and the Martin Herrick designed individual coils ([/font][/color][i]nice one Martin[/i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]) - each adjustment subtle yet distinct - Andy adjusts as I play till we find what, for me is the perfect tone. I'm surprised, yet not.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The Bass has that irresistible, indefinable quality that not every bass has. You know, those basses which you can't put down. Andy's explaining stuff and TBH I'm only half listening, engrossed in feeling the Bass playing my hands and fingers, only being interrupted with Shalla (my dog) baying for attention - it's time for her to go out. Damn!! another case of SWMBO getting her own way, again.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So we're back.....lock the doors, turn off the phones, to all intents and purposes I've left the planet...send me a letter, go through my agent, I'm unavailable....I'm renewing my relationship with the Psilos Bass.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Andy has worked his magic again...[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Many thanks, sir...cos one is certainly not enough. [/font][/color]

[quote name='mark76' timestamp='1501182451' post='3343212']
NO PICTURES. NO BASS :angry:
[/quote]
I think I can oblige.... :D

On the strap:

And on the knee - with Mick's dog, Shalla, realising she may not be the only apple of his eye now ;) :

Edited by Andyjr1515

You'll have to forgive the dreadful sound quality of my phone - live this sounded stupendous - here is Mick with the Psilos on the strap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84asdOSV34g

..and here with it over his knee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_U9VkTxXos

• 3 weeks later...