Why become a member? ×

Stingray Classic - pre amp upgrade options?

JD1

Any suggestions to upgrade a SR Classic 5 preamp? Ideally no mods so would need to fit in the existing cavity (I've not looked yet but I'm guessing it will be tight) and be a three pot config (e.g. stacked treble n bass and mid + vol). Obvious choice would be an Aguilar OBP3 but I'm not sure it would fit.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this.

Cheers.

John East make one modelled after the original Stingray pre with a few improvements, and an added mid control. It is said that a large part of the Stingray tone is due to the preamp, so I would go this route if you just want to add a mid control. The Aguilar will no doubt sound great but it might sound rather different to what you already have, but then again you may want that!

Thanks - will check the East out. I have a love hate thing with Stingrays. Love the look, playability and build quality but the eq / preamps I've never been 100% on. This is my second Classic and I knew I wouldn't get on with the preamp. Just too much extreme low end and high boost that isn't really usable (at least for me) and I like my mids!

[color=black]A small caveat re the East MM preamps – there is no centre detent on the EQ controls. There’s a reason for it, as the Bass and Treble boost is not linear, however I found this ever so slightly annoying as I am very much a ‘set and forget’ style player.[/color]