Why become a member? ×

Hofner Violin maniacs, need help!

Hello.

Someone maybe know, what model is that? Year? 60'?
I think it's a Hofner, with some modification with electronic.

More photos.
[url="http://imgur.com/a/n0IeK"]http://imgur.com/a/n0IeK[/url]

Thanks.

Edited by Guest

Hi Hofner Violin basses normally have a set neck joint rather than a bolt on? Is this another modification? Does the bass have any other labelling rather than just the headstock faded logo? Have you had a look at the pickups and electronics?

I know for sure, bass was used in the sixties by bassist from Komeda Sextet.
The pocket for electronic is the same like in Hofner. Only pickguard is bigger made by luthier many yeeeears ago.

Edited by Guest

There are no vintage Hofners with bolt-on necks.

If you know this to be a 60s bass, then it's not a Hofner.

If it's by someone else, then it's not an Eko or a Kent, because it's too closely based on the Hofner design and uses too many Hofner parts.

In truth, to me it looks like a buggered-about Chinese-made modern copy.

Is it a true hollow body (unlikely with a bolt-on) or is there a block of solid wood running down the middle?

Its a hollow body.

Like I said bass was used in 60' and it's a fact :)
Lacquer cracks and that wood show that, but I dont know why photos are in that bad quality on imgur.

Thanks for help guys.
Investigation mode: ON!

:yarr:

Edited by Guest

I'm no expert but there are a few things which can be seen if compared with a 60's Hofner, pre or post 1968:

* Pick-ups resemble the 1963-64 511 small frame but the screw-head pole pieces are a bit large.

* Closed back tuners with metal heads as here were introduced in 1968. Difficult to tell from images but face of tuner casings looks a bit flat rather than curved. Trapezoid shape to tuner knobs compared to Kolbs which have six sides like the old Fender / Schaller tuners

* Neck heel - binding does not continue across leading edge

* Bolt on neck with no neck binding

* Body binding - but no thin inner black line / pinstripe

It looks old but - no offence to owner - this [i]might[/i] be a late 60's (???) or 70's Japanese copy.

Even so, it's a pretty little bass :)

Edited by skankdelvar

Thanks for all the infos, guys!

[i]'It looks old but - no offence to owner - this [i]might[/i] be a late 60's (???) or 70's Japanese copy.'[/i]
Bass was used in sixties.

[quote name='Fabrocker' timestamp='1501626106' post='3346117']
Thanks for all the infos, guys!

[i]'It looks old but - no offence to owner - this [i]might[/i] be a late 60's (???) or 70's Japanese copy.'[/i]
Bass was used in sixties.
[/quote]

Then it's probably a 60's Japanese copy of a Hofner. :)

Looking through the splendid [url="http://www.fuenfhunderteins.de/index1.htm"]funfhunderteins.de[/url] galleries (there went my evening), I'm wondering if this might be a 65-ish Hofner body (note the two-piece back) that's had a replacement neck made for it at some point. I can't see a good match for the neck's skunk stripe, or the size and placement of the neck plate, or the long fretboard extension, in any of the real Hofners or clones they have pictures of...

Regardless of what it turns out to be, it's a nice-looking bass that's obviously got an interesting story behind it, and I hope you get it up and running again :-)