Jump to content


Quick review - Protection Racket Gig Case


18 replies to this topic

#1 walbassist

    No Wals any more, just wonderful Franz basses :)

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,928 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NE Hampshire

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:09 AM

In shopping for a decent quality gig bag under £100, I came across this new to me model from Protection Racket - the Gig Case.

Posted Image
It's light, slimline, and well padded with high density 10mm foam on the front and back, but lacks the internal frame its more expensive cousins have.

The entire headstock area inside is lined with a hard wearing "Racketex" material, as is the bridge area, while the rest of the bag is lined with "Velvetex", which is a soft but durable brushed cotton. The neck is cradled in a large, movable, firm neck cushion that keeps angled headstocks off the back of the bag.

Like the Mono Vertigo, it is a top loader.

Posted Image

It has a strong and comfortable handle.

Posted Image

Decent protection on the outside of the base, and I should add that inside the case there is a thick bolster to cushion the bottom of the bass: no chance of damaging your end strap pin if you drop it.


Posted Image


What don't I like? Well, the way the strap harness is designed you can only really wear it comfortably on your back, rather than on just one shoulder, but it's certainly not a deal breaker for me. When it is worn on the back it is very comfortable and sits quite low too.


Posted Image


Also, the two pockets on the front are only really suitable for charts (main compartment) and perhaps strings (headstock pocket): you couldn't fit anything substantial in them like a strap with straplocks fitted, let alone an amp.


Posted Image


But overall, for £50, if you want something lightweight and sleek, as long as you are happy to carry the rest of your gubbins in a different bag I think this is hard to beat :)

Edited by walbassist, 28 July 2017 - 11:36 AM.

Basses: Franz Sirius fretless 5 // Franz Sirius DC fretted 5 // Sigma BMC1-STE // Hora Slimline Upright
Amps: Markbass CMD Super Combo K1 // Markbass Little Mark 800 // Markbass Traveler 123 cab //

My Basschat Feedback

Basschat Terms and Conditions / Forum Behaviour Guidelines / Rules and Guidelines on Marketplace Use

#2 dannybuoy

    Fingering Am

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,353 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cambs

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:30 AM

They also make a semi-rigid (oo-er) foam gigbag/case for a bit extra:

http://www.gear4musi...se-Standard/KHX

I have one of these and find it offers almost the same protection as a standard hard case, but with shoulder straps and without the bulk and weight!

Edited by dannybuoy, 28 July 2017 - 10:34 AM.


#3 walbassist

    No Wals any more, just wonderful Franz basses :)

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,928 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NE Hampshire

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:31 AM

View Postdannybuoy, on 28 July 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

They also make a semi-rigid (oo-er) foam gigbag/case for a bit extra.

Indeed they do, but as the Gig Case was new I thought it was worth highlighting as an option. It is also considerably less bulky than their regular cases.
Basses: Franz Sirius fretless 5 // Franz Sirius DC fretted 5 // Sigma BMC1-STE // Hora Slimline Upright
Amps: Markbass CMD Super Combo K1 // Markbass Little Mark 800 // Markbass Traveler 123 cab //

My Basschat Feedback

Basschat Terms and Conditions / Forum Behaviour Guidelines / Rules and Guidelines on Marketplace Use

#4 CameronJ

    Fully fledged member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London

Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:13 PM

This looks like a direct competitor to the Mono sleeve at half the price. Have you used the Mono? And if so how would you compare the two?
Yamaha BB1025x
Ibanez BTB33
Yamaha RBX774
Tanglewood TAB 1 CE (Acoustic Bass)
TC Electronic BH800
Tecamp Puma 900
TKS 1126
Phil Jones BigHead
Probably too many effects...

Roland FA-06
TC Helicon Voicelive Touch 2

#5 machinehead

    Very Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:N. Ireland

Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:57 PM

View Postwalbassist, on 28 July 2017 - 10:31 AM, said:

Indeed they do, but as the Gig Case was new I thought it was worth highlighting as an option. It is also considerably less bulky than their regular cases.

I have the more bulky version and indeed, the bulk is a drawback - but it's the only drawback. It's a superb gig bag if the bulk doesn't matter.

For me, trying to fit it behind car seats etc, it was too big, so I ended up buying a Mono which is much slimmer but not any better made.

If this new Protection Racket bag had been available when I bought the Mono, I think I'd have went with the Protection Racket one at half the price of the Mono.

Thanks for the review.

Frank.
My feedback: http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry3072762


Bass guitars by Fender (American Standard Jazz 2010, American Standard Precision 2008, American Standard Jaguar 2014, American Vintage Hotrod 70s Jazz 2013, Musicman (USA SUB 2005) and Steinberger XT-2.

Amps by Thunderfunk (TFB550), EBS (Reidmar 750), GK (MB200).

Cabs by Barefaced Audio. (BB2 G3), (Super Midget G3) and (One10).

#6 CameronJ

    Fully fledged member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London

Posted 28 July 2017 - 06:39 PM

View Postmachinehead, on 28 July 2017 - 05:57 PM, said:

I have the more bulky version and indeed, the bulk is a drawback - but it's the only drawback. It's a superb gig bag if the bulk doesn't matter.

+1. All my basses, electric and acoustic, are cased in Protection Racket cases and I've never once doubted their durability. This new one may have to be next on the shopping list. Now I just need a new bass to put inside it...
Yamaha BB1025x
Ibanez BTB33
Yamaha RBX774
Tanglewood TAB 1 CE (Acoustic Bass)
TC Electronic BH800
Tecamp Puma 900
TKS 1126
Phil Jones BigHead
Probably too many effects...

Roland FA-06
TC Helicon Voicelive Touch 2

#7 walbassist

    No Wals any more, just wonderful Franz basses :)

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,928 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NE Hampshire

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:19 PM

View PostCameronJ, on 28 July 2017 - 05:13 PM, said:

This looks like a direct competitor to the Mono sleeve at half the price. Have you used the Mono? And if so how would you compare the two?

Yes, I've had the Sleeve. It's a good bag - I love Mono build quality and style - and you can fit more in the pocket for sure, plus I suspect the outer is a bit more durable, but I prefer this bag as it's smaller all round, and unlike the Sleeve you can definitely use it for angled headstock basses.

On balance, and at less than half the price of the Sleeve, I think the Protection Racket wins.
Basses: Franz Sirius fretless 5 // Franz Sirius DC fretted 5 // Sigma BMC1-STE // Hora Slimline Upright
Amps: Markbass CMD Super Combo K1 // Markbass Little Mark 800 // Markbass Traveler 123 cab //

My Basschat Feedback

Basschat Terms and Conditions / Forum Behaviour Guidelines / Rules and Guidelines on Marketplace Use

#8 CameronJ

    Fully fledged member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:55 PM

Hmmm...as an owner of a couple of angled headstock basses, that alone is enough in favour of the Protection Racket. Why is it that the Mono doesn't work so well with angled headstocks? Is it just that it doesn't have any raised support for the neck?
Yamaha BB1025x
Ibanez BTB33
Yamaha RBX774
Tanglewood TAB 1 CE (Acoustic Bass)
TC Electronic BH800
Tecamp Puma 900
TKS 1126
Phil Jones BigHead
Probably too many effects...

Roland FA-06
TC Helicon Voicelive Touch 2

#9 walbassist

    No Wals any more, just wonderful Franz basses :)

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,928 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NE Hampshire

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:02 PM

View PostCameronJ, on 28 July 2017 - 10:55 PM, said:

Hmmm...as an owner of a couple of angled headstock basses, that alone is enough in favour of the Protection Racket. Why is it that the Mono doesn't work so well with angled headstocks? Is it just that it doesn't have any raised support for the neck?

Correct. I tried one and the whole top of the bag angled back. I felt if it fell over it was too much of a risk. Perfect for Ps and Js though...
Basses: Franz Sirius fretless 5 // Franz Sirius DC fretted 5 // Sigma BMC1-STE // Hora Slimline Upright
Amps: Markbass CMD Super Combo K1 // Markbass Little Mark 800 // Markbass Traveler 123 cab //

My Basschat Feedback

Basschat Terms and Conditions / Forum Behaviour Guidelines / Rules and Guidelines on Marketplace Use

#10 CameronJ

    Fully fledged member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:19 PM

Oh dear, that's no good for me then. It's a shame as the Mono sleeves are great looking but on a practical level that is pretty disastrous. You'd think they would have tested for that, especially given how much the Monos cost!
Yamaha BB1025x
Ibanez BTB33
Yamaha RBX774
Tanglewood TAB 1 CE (Acoustic Bass)
TC Electronic BH800
Tecamp Puma 900
TKS 1126
Phil Jones BigHead
Probably too many effects...

Roland FA-06
TC Helicon Voicelive Touch 2

#11 TheGreek

    ..Seeking enlightenment..

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,075 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The French Village, Hertfordshire
  • Interests:...Winning or Inheriting a lot of money...

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:44 PM

I had one of their bags for an acoustic bass - I felt 100% confident in it doing it's job. I miss the case more than I miss the bass TBH.

I value everybody's opinion...especially when it's the same as mine



For Sale:

http://basschat.co.u...iot-headscombo/

http://basschat.co.u...500-with-cover/


See what others have to say: http://basschat.co.u...k-for-thegreek/


#12 CameronJ

    Fully fledged member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:42 PM

Does this Protection Racket bag have any rigidity to it? Clearly the front "door" is able to flop down indicating the answer is probably no, but is there much stiffness to the sidewalls?
Yamaha BB1025x
Ibanez BTB33
Yamaha RBX774
Tanglewood TAB 1 CE (Acoustic Bass)
TC Electronic BH800
Tecamp Puma 900
TKS 1126
Phil Jones BigHead
Probably too many effects...

Roland FA-06
TC Helicon Voicelive Touch 2

#13 walbassist

    No Wals any more, just wonderful Franz basses :)

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,928 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NE Hampshire

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:57 PM

The front and back panels are actually quite firm and don't flop down at all. There is no rigidity in the side panels.
Basses: Franz Sirius fretless 5 // Franz Sirius DC fretted 5 // Sigma BMC1-STE // Hora Slimline Upright
Amps: Markbass CMD Super Combo K1 // Markbass Little Mark 800 // Markbass Traveler 123 cab //

My Basschat Feedback

Basschat Terms and Conditions / Forum Behaviour Guidelines / Rules and Guidelines on Marketplace Use

#14 CameronJ

    Fully fledged member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:01 PM

Ah, that's good. If I had to choose, I'd much prefer to have rigidity in the front and back than the much thinner sidewalls.
Yamaha BB1025x
Ibanez BTB33
Yamaha RBX774
Tanglewood TAB 1 CE (Acoustic Bass)
TC Electronic BH800
Tecamp Puma 900
TKS 1126
Phil Jones BigHead
Probably too many effects...

Roland FA-06
TC Helicon Voicelive Touch 2

#15 yorks5stringer

    It ain't what you do.....

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,801 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bruton, Somerset.
  • Interests:The rest, as they say, is history.

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:12 PM

I've looked everywhere including their site and cannot find any dimensions for the Pro Racket bag. My Jaguar V is longer and wider than many and the only bag I could find at the premium end was the aforementioned Mono Bass Sleeve in which it fits snugly.

Had some very early issues with the Tuners digging up the lining but I have it in writing from Mono, if the lining fails they will replace the bag!

If I'd seen the PR Gig case a month ago and I knew my Bass would fit, then I'd have saved £75!

KBass/Shuker 5 Stringer
Fender Telecaster Bass 4 String
Squier Jaguar Sunburst VM 5 String
Markbass CMD121P
Markbass Minimark 802

TalkBass British Bassist #20

Replies to posts are always welcome, if I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you!

#16 ProjeKtWEREWOLF

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:18 PM

Not strictly bass, but I have a full set of Gen 1 Protection Racket cases for my Yamaha Stage Custom drum kit. I dropped one of the (cased) kick drums down a full flight of stone stairs and it was totally fine afterwards. Protection Racket is good gear. I hadn't considered that they made bass/guitar cases.

#17 TheGreek

    ..Seeking enlightenment..

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,075 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The French Village, Hertfordshire
  • Interests:...Winning or Inheriting a lot of money...

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:10 PM

View Postwalbassist, on 28 July 2017 - 10:09 AM, said:

In shopping for a decent quality gig bag under £100, I came across this new to me model from Protection Racket - the Gig Case.

Posted Image
It's light, slimline, and well padded with high density 10mm foam on the front and back, but lacks the internal frame its more expensive cousins have.

The entire headstock area inside is lined with a hard wearing "Racketex" material, as is the bridge area, while the rest of the bag is lined with "Velvetex", which is a soft but durable brushed cotton. The neck is cradled in a large, movable, firm neck cushion that keeps angled headstocks off the back of the bag.

Like the Mono Vertigo, it is a top loader.

Posted Image

It has a strong and comfortable handle.

Posted Image

Decent protection on the outside of the base, and I should add that inside the case there is a thick bolster to cushion the bottom of the bass: no chance of damaging your end strap pin if you drop it.


Posted Image


What don't I like? Well, the way the strap harness is designed you can only really wear it comfortably on your back, rather than on just one shoulder, but it's certainly not a deal breaker for me. When it is worn on the back it is very comfortable and sits quite low too.


Posted Image


Also, the two pockets on the front are only really suitable for charts (main compartment) and perhaps strings (headstock pocket): you couldn't fit anything substantial in them like a strap with straplocks fitted, let alone an amp.


Posted Image


But overall, for £50, if you want something lightweight and sleek, as long as you are happy to carry the rest of your gubbins in a different bag I think this is hard to beat :)

I've just bought one of these - I'd love to tell you how much but I'd just be putting myself at risk of abuse....

Needless to say it was a good buy..

I value everybody's opinion...especially when it's the same as mine



For Sale:

http://basschat.co.u...iot-headscombo/

http://basschat.co.u...500-with-cover/


See what others have to say: http://basschat.co.u...k-for-thegreek/


#18 richardjmorgan

    Fully fledged member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:39 AM

Does anyone know of anything similar to this, but with a pocket big enough for my amp (Tonehammer 350)? I'm in the market for a new case/bag but would prefer not to have to lug the amp separately.
Aria Pro II CSB-380
Encore LTD 83
Borrowed amps
(Assorted guitars & big amps because I'm not a proper bassist)

#19 CameronJ

    Fully fledged member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:45 AM

You'd have to upgrade to the bigger brother case which is a bit bulkier but has "proper" pockets which will fit an amp head. It offers more protection than this sleeve version too. Costs more obviously, but it's definitely worth it.
Yamaha BB1025x
Ibanez BTB33
Yamaha RBX774
Tanglewood TAB 1 CE (Acoustic Bass)
TC Electronic BH800
Tecamp Puma 900
TKS 1126
Phil Jones BigHead
Probably too many effects...

Roland FA-06
TC Helicon Voicelive Touch 2





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users