Why become a member? ×

Quick review - Protection Racket Gig Case

franzbassist

In shopping for a decent quality gig bag under £100, I came across this new to me model from Protection Racket - the Gig Case.

It's light, slimline, and well padded with high density 10mm foam on the front and back, but lacks the internal frame its more expensive cousins have.

The entire headstock area inside is lined with a hard wearing "Racketex" material, as is the bridge area, while the rest of the bag is lined with "Velvetex", which is a soft but durable brushed cotton. The neck is cradled in a large, movable, firm neck cushion that keeps angled headstocks off the back of the bag.

Like the Mono Vertigo, it is a top loader.

It has a strong and comfortable handle.

Decent protection on the outside of the base, and I should add that inside the case there is a thick bolster to cushion the bottom of the bass: no chance of damaging your end strap pin if you drop it.

What don't I like? Well, the way the strap harness is designed you can only really wear it comfortably on your back, rather than on just one shoulder, but it's certainly not a deal breaker for me. When it is worn on the back it is very comfortable and sits quite low too.

Also, the two pockets on the front are only really suitable for charts (main compartment) and perhaps strings (headstock pocket): you couldn't fit anything substantial in them like a strap with straplocks fitted, let alone an amp.

But overall, for £50, if you want something lightweight and sleek, as long as you are happy to carry the rest of your gubbins in a different bag I think this is hard to beat :)

Edited by walbassist

They also make a semi-rigid (oo-er) foam gigbag/case for a bit extra:

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Protection-Racket-Bass-Guitar-Foam-Case-Standard/KHX"]http://www.gear4musi...se-Standard/KHX[/url]

I have one of these and find it offers almost the same protection as a standard hard case, but with shoulder straps and without the bulk and weight!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1501237816' post='3343483']
They also make a semi-rigid (oo-er) foam gigbag/case for a bit extra.
[/quote]

Indeed they do, but as the Gig Case was new I thought it was worth highlighting as an option. It is also considerably less bulky than their regular cases.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1501237896' post='3343486']
Indeed they do, but as the Gig Case was new I thought it was worth highlighting as an option. It is also considerably less bulky than their regular cases.
[/quote]

I have the more bulky version and indeed, the bulk is a drawback - but it's the only drawback. It's a superb gig bag if the bulk doesn't matter.

For me, trying to fit it behind car seats etc, it was too big, so I ended up buying a Mono which is much slimmer but not any better made.

If this new Protection Racket bag had been available when I bought the Mono, I think I'd have went with the Protection Racket one at half the price of the Mono.

Thanks for the review.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1501264634' post='3343738']
I have the more bulky version and indeed, the bulk is a drawback - but it's the only drawback. It's a superb gig bag if the bulk doesn't matter.
[/quote]

+1. All my basses, electric and acoustic, are cased in Protection Racket cases and I've never once doubted their durability. This new one may have to be next on the shopping list. Now I just need a new bass to put inside it...

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1501262032' post='3343724']
This looks like a direct competitor to the Mono sleeve at half the price. Have you used the Mono? And if so how would you compare the two?
[/quote]

Yes, I've had the Sleeve. It's a good bag - I love Mono build quality and style - and you can fit more in the pocket for sure, plus I suspect the outer is a bit more durable, but I prefer this bag as it's smaller all round, and unlike the Sleeve you can definitely use it for angled headstock basses.

On balance, and at less than half the price of the Sleeve, I think the Protection Racket wins.

Hmmm...as an owner of a couple of angled headstock basses, that alone is enough in favour of the Protection Racket. Why is it that the Mono doesn't work so well with angled headstocks? Is it just that it doesn't have any raised support for the neck?

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1501282503' post='3343862']
Hmmm...as an owner of a couple of angled headstock basses, that alone is enough in favour of the Protection Racket. Why is it that the Mono doesn't work so well with angled headstocks? Is it just that it doesn't have any raised support for the neck?
[/quote]

Correct. I tried one and the whole top of the bag angled back. I felt if it fell over it was too much of a risk. Perfect for Ps and Js though...

• 2 weeks later...

I've looked everywhere including their site and cannot find any dimensions for the Pro Racket bag. My Jaguar V is longer and wider than many and the only bag I could find at the premium end was the aforementioned Mono Bass Sleeve in which it fits snugly.

Had some very early issues with the Tuners digging up the lining but I have it in writing from Mono, if the lining fails they will replace the bag!

If I'd seen the PR Gig case a month ago and I knew my Bass would fit, then I'd have saved £75!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1501236580' post='3343469']
In shopping for a decent quality gig bag under £100, I came across this new to me model from Protection Racket - the Gig Case.

It's light, slimline, and well padded with high density 10mm foam on the front and back, but lacks the internal frame its more expensive cousins have.

The entire headstock area inside is lined with a hard wearing "Racketex" material, as is the bridge area, while the rest of the bag is lined with "Velvetex", which is a soft but durable brushed cotton. The neck is cradled in a large, movable, firm neck cushion that keeps angled headstocks off the back of the bag.

Like the Mono Vertigo, it is a top loader.

It has a strong and comfortable handle.

Decent protection on the outside of the base, and I should add that inside the case there is a thick bolster to cushion the bottom of the bass: no chance of damaging your end strap pin if you drop it.

What don't I like? Well, the way the strap harness is designed you can only really wear it comfortably on your back, rather than on just one shoulder, but it's certainly not a deal breaker for me. When it is worn on the back it is very comfortable and sits quite low too.

Also, the two pockets on the front are only really suitable for charts (main compartment) and perhaps strings (headstock pocket): you couldn't fit anything substantial in them like a strap with straplocks fitted, let alone an amp.

But overall, for £50, if you want something lightweight and sleek, as long as you are happy to carry the rest of your gubbins in a different bag I think this is hard to beat :)
[/quote]

I've just bought one of these - I'd love to tell you how much but I'd just be putting myself at risk of abuse....

Needless to say it was a good buy..