Why become a member? ×

Old midi keyboard help

lojo

Hi i have an old midi keyboard controller which id like to use to trigger a simple 80s saw wave type sound live

If I buy a midi to Jack lead and run into into my markbass synth will that work ?

Alternatively what about a modern keyboard controller ?

I don't want to have to buy an all singer dancing bass synth keyboard

Thanks for any help

Edited by lojo

No.
Assuming you mean a regular MIDI controller keyboard, this keyboard only sends out MIDI data, not sound.
The MarkBass Synth has only one input, and it's not for MIDI data but for bass guitar sound, and as such is rather undifferent from an effects unit.

If the MarkBass Synth provides a saw, then you should be set already, as it has true bypass.
If you need a saw from another box, then you'll need to buy another box.

Of course, all of this may be wrong if what you call a MIDI keyboard controller is not what I assume it is.
Just lemme know, and I can see if can help any further.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1501315492' post='3343934']
I know I can convert midi to usb with a coverter for use with my mac, so if I can convert to Jack that solves it

Otherwise would a cheap modern keyboard controller send a Jack signal like a guitar ?
[/quote]

Nope. Don't mix the physical form of input and output ports with the data that flows through them.
Out of a MIDI keyboard comes MIDI data, which is command data. It tells other stuff what to do, but the other stuff will do it.
Only receiving gear that needs MIDI data will respond to it. Also, that receiving gear does not translate or convert that data; it only uses the data as commands to know what it should do.

Along the same lines, the MB Synth needs "sound" at its input for it to work, and it will not respond to MIDI data. Sound, unlike MIDI data, does not tell the Synth what to do. The synth itself just takes the sound and does unspeakable things to it and with it.

In this, the type of jack does not play any role at all.
I revert you to post #2.
Just ask again if it isn't clear yet. I'm here, and so, assumedly, are others

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1501316006' post='3343939']
My multiamp which has the synth in has midi In and through , this might work ?
[/quote]

I don't know what it will do, as I was unaware of amps using MIDI data (will have to read up on that one), but it will not work along the lines you described earlier.
The MIDI THRU will only pass on the MIDI data it receives at the MIDI IN port - without converting it to working sound.

As others have said it will not work (for all the noted reasons above)
If your MIDI Controller has internal sounds and Audio sockets out as well, yes you can use the Audio out into the Audio in on the MB.
That's ok if you have cheesy sounds on the Keyboard and you want to manipulate that through the MB.

I am not sure what you are looking for, or aiming to do. Is the intention to get better Bass Synth sounds ?

Thanks for all the replies

My goal is to play keys bass through my bass amp

I have a good synth in the multi amp

If I can trigger the synth with a cheap 2 octave key board that's great , otherwise I'm looking to have to buy a bass station keyboard just for one sound

Last gig i took a full size Roland which was over kill as I play electric on most songs

This is a one of gig , most likely my last ever so I want to keep costs down

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1501316006' post='3343939']
My multiamp which has the synth in has midi In and through , this might work ?
[/quote]

No, the midi in the multiamp is probably there to change the channels / options, not for any form of sound creation.

If you just want one sound, go to ebay, do a search for "sound module" - there will be a load of sound canvas's and korgs, buy the cheapest one, and connect the keyboard to that.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1501316706' post='3343947']
I don't know what it will do, as I was unaware of amps using MIDI data (will have to read up on that one), but it will not work along the lines you described earlier.
The MIDI THRU will only pass on the MIDI data it receives at the MIDI IN port - without converting it to working sound.
[/quote]

The Ashdown Superfly used MIDI data but that was to adjust the EQ.

MIDI just covers switching events, like the pressing of a key or button or the turning of a dial, but it does not carry audio.

You can think of it as being a bit like a remote control - when you press channel 001 on your remote, the remote doesn't know that it's time for Eastenders on BBC1; its job is just to blindly send signal 0, then 0, then 1.

With MIDI, when you press the C key on a MIDI keyboard (aka Controller) it sends a signal down the wire saying Key C1 is pressed and when you take your finger off it sends another signal saying Key C1 is released; that's pretty much its most basic functionality!

Now, the thing listening at the other end (the MIDI module) will receive that and act accordingly; it could be a MIDI organ and play a lovely pipe sound, it could be a drum synth and play the kick drum, it could be a lighting unit and turn on a parkan, it could be to switch on a feature on an FX board, or some other function which someone decided to produce something for. MIDI itself doesn't carry the sound/flash/whatever.

It's a really simple system which can be interconnected to make complicated things happen. (When you add in the possibility of a computer program generating events, then it takes on an extra dimension.)

Thanks again , I know midi is binary on and offs , but I thought the midi in on my amp might handle all the required commands , which it obviously doesn't , just a few commands . Would it be much more expensive for a multi amp effect unit to be able to process midi data ?