Why become a member? ×

Metal and classical together - any thoughts

dmccombe7

Not really my bag, and he's got a massively overinflated ego. If you want classical mixed with rock you might want to check out Ozzy's first two solo albumns (Blizzard of Oz and Diary of a Madma)n - Randy was classically trained and he integrates classical lines into proper rock.

To be fair i don't usually go for this kind of thing but on occasion it sounds good. I had no idea who the guitarist was when i first saw it on Facebook. Wasn't highlighted.
The one i attached had his name on it.

Dave

Guest bassman7755

There arnt many guitarists who can make a guitar gel with an orchestra but malmsteen is one of them. Another of my favourite unorthadox guitar backings is brian setzers big band ..
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APvfSRKTZQQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APvfSRKTZQQ[/url]

I'm a fan of most Deep Purple eras but just didn't enjoy that orchestral drivel. Maybe its just the VID quality but not for me. :unsure:

As for the Iron Maiden clip .............not exactly the same comparison and i sense some tongue in cheek with that one :lol: New album aint bad tho.

Dave

No, to my ears the mix of metal - or any rock for that matter - and classical is a total abomination and praps a cynical ploy by those metallers trying to seek approval from the CM community. I enjoy a good old bit of unpretentious thrash and groove metal but symphonic metal is too much too swallow

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1501503261' post='3345064']
To answer the original question, technically, it's impressive. Musically, it's empty. Imho, of course.
[/quote]

This could be said of pretty well any musical genre, and beyond, if we want to include sculpture, architecture, water-colours... A lot of 'metal' is also, perhaps, technically impressive but bereft of substance, as is a fair amount of 'classical' music, or 'jazz', or 'pop' or ...

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1501489609' post='3344905']
No, to my ears the mix of metal - or any rock for that matter - and classical is a total abomination and praps a cynical ploy by those metallers trying to seek approval from the CM community. I enjoy a good old bit of unpretentious thrash and groove metal but symphonic metal is too much too swallow
[/quote]

Well I won't be sharing my new material with you then! :on_the_quiet: