Why become a member? ×

Most appropriate Bass for Country/Country Rock/Folk

Rocker

Blue nailed it. Its what you play not the instrument.

Several decades of country rock and straight country under my belt to prove it.
I have used a P/J, a Travis Bean, a Rickenbacker 4001 stereo and all three sounded just fine with me on the other end.
And remember that the number of songs that you will get to play that actually ARE just root 5 are vanishingly small if you are playing them right.
C/W is deceptive.

The foam under the bridge works for getting the thump, but it's more versatile to palm mute or in my case, thumb mute. I use fretless and flats, but any bass will do. It's all in how you play it and what you play (or don't play).

These days Country ranges from Jim Reeves to Jason Aldean and beyond.

From 4 to 5 strings, any bass will do just fine and the same bass can cover everything. Thud and clank can work but clarity is important.

But mostly it's how you play the song sound that counts, so just play good lines.

Hmmmm, don't know the country scene so well so let's have a look at the basses used in some fave classic and modern folk/folk rock bands...

Fairport Convention: P bass, Jazz bass, Ricky, Steinberger copy, Riverhead Burns Flyte-alike, Ibanez Soundgear, Carvin
Jethro Tull: P bass, Jazz bass, Ibanez Soundgear, Wal, Goodfellow,
Iona: Chapman Stick, Wal, Warrior, Steinberger, Stingray, EUB
Steeleye Span: Ricky, Fretless Jazz, Overwater, Fender Mustang, Tele bass, Gibson SG double neck
Jamie Smith's Mabon: Stingray, Wal, EUB
Oysterband: DB, Fender PJ, Squier jazz, Fender P bass.

So I think we can conclude that the best bass is whatever you like (probably avoid BC Rich and Dean though!).

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1501541480' post='3345458']

So I think we can conclude that the best bass is whatever you like (probably avoid BC Rich and Dean though!).
[/quote]
And nowt wrong wirh a B.C. Rich mockingbird, bich or eagle either. Dean does some great affordable basses for all styles too :)

Gear snobbery aside...
[url="http://www.thatericalper.com/2014/12/11/watch-two-musicians-play-a-guitar-made-from-a-broom-and-bass-made-from-a-shovel/"]http://www.thaterica...-from-a-shovel/[/url]
It isn't country but the geezer on the left could cut it.

The site itself looks interesting. I'm off to look at this bit now;
[url="http://www.thatericalper.com/category/isolated-tracks/"]http://www.thaterica...solated-tracks/[/url]

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1501569544' post='3345507']

And nowt wrong wirh a B.C. Rich mockingbird, bich or eagle either. Dean does some great affordable basses for all styles too :)
[/quote]

Indeed. I always wanted Neil Murray's quilted maple Mockingbird when I was starting out on bass... lets just say it was more of an "aesthetic" comment than a tone, quality or VFM one!!! :D

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1501342968' post='3344165']
On a serious note ([size=2][i]badum-tish[/i][/size]) if I ever went back to Country I think I'd string a P up as B-E-A-D.

It might make root-fiving in E and G a bit more convincing.
[/quote]

Hmm interesting. Might just try this, since I have recently joined a Country band by accident.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1501964309' post='3348554']
Hmm interesting. Might just try this, since I have recently joined a Country band by accident.
[/quote]

I have a US Standard P bass strung BEAD that I am considering selling....

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1501964309' post='3348554']
[/quote]

I wish I could get into the same sorts of accidents as you seem to. Good luck. It sounds like fun.

Stingray 5 worked perfectly for the country artist I was playing for a year or so ago. As blue has said, your understanding of how country bass is played is far more important than the bass you choose - technique and eq can get any bass close enough, but if the feel isn't right it's going to be a train wreck!

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1501342968' post='3344165']
On a serious note ([size=2][i]badum-tish[/i][/size]) if I ever went back to Country I think I'd string a P up as B-E-A-D.

It might make root-fiving in E and G a bit more convincing.
[/quote]

That's why I found the stingray 5 so useful!! You can go above or below the root with ease. Just have to watch, a B can be a bit thunderous on a quiet song 😂