Why become a member? ×

Calling me Al

archie_the_cat

Hi

I’d like my bass to sound like the bass in Paul Simon’s You Can Call Me Al –

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULjCSK0oOlI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULjCSK0oOlI[/url]

(the bass break is at 3:46).

What equipment, settings, effects and talent would I need to make that happen?

[quote name='archie_the_cat' timestamp='1501354605' post='3344256']
So, what are you saying, that bass break is done with some sort of backwards tracking?

Is the whole bass line constructed that way or just that bit?
[/quote]

It's just the solo.

The second part of the break is the first part played backwards.

Verses are thumbed and choruses are played finger style.
On the studio version you can hear it more distinctively with headphones.
On that live version, sound wise it's more obvious, not to mention visually. :)

Great groove, on both versions.

Edited by lowdown

I've told this story on here before, but hey-ho. I saw Paul Simon live a couple of years ago. When it came to the famous bass-fill Bakithi Kumalo, clearly asleep at the wheel, utterly ballsed it up. He and the whole band just roared laughing and carried on. Now that's the spirit. Yes we're professionals and we want to do our best, but we're also human and nobody dies if there's the occasional cock-up.

[quote name='archie_the_cat' timestamp='1501357780' post='3344273']
OK, so that’s the first thing then - it’s fretless and played slap.

But I’m assuming that’s not the clean sound, straight out the guitar.

How is it processed?
[/quote]

They recorded it and then it's played backwards.
Just the break.
You can't really replicate it.

Did I read somewhere that his bass at the time was a cheap POS Washburn?
If you've not heard this before, it'll give you a good idea of what the bass sounds like in isolation

[media]http://youtu.be/OMJbJJldSNw[/media]

This is all great, and thank you all for engaging, but I feel we’re rambling away from the question.

I’m not interested in how to play You Can Call Me Al, great though it is. What I’m asking is what set-up I can use to create that bass sound.

What equipment and what effects and what settings will make that sound?

It would surprise me if he used any effects, these were African musicians with humble gear. Yeah Bakithi played a POS Washburn fretless, probably through some hired amp in the studio, maybe a B15 if he was super lucky.
I seem to remember that Paul Simon is credited with 6 string bass on the record on that tune....whenever I listen to it, I think perhaps that refers to the plucky high notes played with Bakithi's bass part after the bass break....dunno though.
But yeah, Washburn Fretless, no effects, hired amp of unknown brand (possibly straight into the desk though for the recording ).
The Graceland DVD is his Washburn fretless, but don't recall seeing a specific amp.

Si

I agree with poster above, of use a fretless jazz bass with a lot of Bridge pickup and a hint of neck, played at the bridge with a firm set of fingers. You're looking to play right hand with a lot of attack and the left hand silly smooth in a flowing, fluid motion. Chorus and compression (it's the 80s, eh?). This is all about nailing a Jaco-ish tone.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1501366981' post='3344337']
Did I read somewhere that his bass at the time was a cheap POS Washburn?
If you've not heard this before, it'll give you a good idea of what the bass sounds like in isolation

[media]http://youtu.be/OMJbJJldSNw[/media]
[/quote]

Great clip.

Does the OP know how to introduce some [i]heft[/i] into the overall tone of the subject piece - YCCMA?

[quote name='SICbass' timestamp='1501362928' post='3344308']
I've told this story on here before, but hey-ho. I saw Paul Simon live a couple of years ago. When it came to the famous bass-fill Bakithi Kumalo, clearly asleep at the wheel, utterly ballsed it up. He and the whole band just roared laughing and carried on. Now that's the spirit. Yes we're professionals and we want to do our best, but we're also human and nobody dies if there's the occasional cock-up.
[/quote]

That anecdote should be in the topic that follows if it isn't already;
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/308645-punters-dont-know-the-difference/

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1501355906' post='3344262']
Slapped fretless, innit?

Incidentally, I just got the Hyde Park blu-ray the other day. It's bloody marvellous.
[/quote]

My poor old Vantage lost some of the black finish on the finger board because of my trying to copy that style with roundwound strings back in the eighties when I was young and had no sense. Today of course I am older and I've less sense than ever before. OP - If you don't want to see that sort of wear on yours, use flats and it should be easier on the wood. I have nylon wrapped RotoSound flats on these days so I'm totally slap-happy with my fretless.

Oh yeah, nearly forgot the obvious, I am guessing that the original artist was using flats now that I've had thirty years to think about it.

Edited by SpondonBassed