Why become a member? ×

Can nowadays pop perform at this level?

SH73

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1501441368' post='3344694']
I'm a Maiden fan but always liked Level 42. The music and singing is spot on. Something a modern pop band nowadays struggle in the nowadays money grabbing music industry.
[/quote]
Someone like Bruno Mars, yes imo.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1501442266' post='3344706']
That nowadays money-grabbing music industry, eh? It's such a recent phenomenon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BKt07B3A6U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdSmokR0Enk

...etc.
[/quote]
Milly vanily wasn't quite an artist...

Level 42 probably not the best choice for comparison of modern pop. They came from quite a serious Jazz-Funk background. Pop acts back in there day were bands like Steven Tintin Duffy, Dead or Alive or Baltimora. As with Highfox suggesting Bruno Mars, Level 42 would compare much more closely with him, or Pharrell Williams.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1501442413' post='3344709']
Milly vanily wasn't quite an artist...
[/quote]

Mmmmm I think that's the point.

I do not know how old you are but I am sixty and alongside all the "artists" That we all know and love...Beatles ,Stones ,led zeppelin...erm ...Maiden , er ...oh I don't know ..whomever you think is cool (groovy baby!) there has always been "pop" acts... that have been contrived to "make money".

Indeed all the great acts "made money" when they could...it's what made the world go around.

I have a friend who was a part of the original Black lace ..Agadoo and all that pap....He is a brilliant guitarist and musician that made a lot of people happy with his " pop"music ....

You don't have to like it ...but hey ...somebody does...and that's the whole point of music...well I think so anyway.

Enjoy your career...I have enjoyed mine and I genuinely wish you well.

[quote name='Raymondo' timestamp='1501444064' post='3344722']

Mmmmm I think that's the point.

I do not know how old you are but I am sixty and alongside all the "artists" That we all know and love...Beatles ,Stones ,led zeppelin...erm ...Maiden , er ...oh I don't know ..whomever you think is cool (groovy baby!) there has always been "pop" acts... that have been contrived to "make money".

Indeed all the great acts "made money" when they could...it's what made the world go around.

I have a friend who was a part of the original Black lace ..Agadoo and all that pap....He is a brilliant guitarist and musician that made a lot of people happy with his " pop"music ....

You don't have to like it ...but hey ...somebody does...and that's the whole point of music...well I think so anyway.

Enjoy your career...I have enjoyed mine and I genuinely wish you well.
[/quote]
I was around during 80s and probably the artists worked harder than they do nowadays. I see your point though.

I don't think much has changed in what's on offer , you just can't find everything on the same shows anymore .

There's great inventive acts all all genres , great bands and front people , and there's lots of commercial 4 chord songs with boring production and safe singer

Despite pants like Bananarama and Timmy Mallett etc the 80s was a good time for pop. Much more varied than what's on offer today what with most writing and playing their own stuff e.g. Wham, Spandau's, Duran, ABC . Quite a lot of pop acts were on independent labels so weren't at the mercy of avaricious manipulators like Cowell plus there wasn't this TV culture of endless crap singing competitions spawning vanilla chart fodder. No, I'm not a rose tinted bespectacled old fart but Olly Murs isn't in the same class as George Michael.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1501441368' post='3344694']
. . . the nowadays money grabbing music industry. . . .
[/quote]

Nowadays? There has always been a "money grabbing music industry". One that at best "uses" and at worst "shafts" the artists.

From Malcolm McLaren to Simon Cowell and Colonel Tom Parker to Norman Petty, Don Arden to Alan Klein etc etc and right back to the beginning.

The very next day, after that guy discovered the log sitting outside his cave made a good sound if he hit it in a particular way, an agent turned up offering to make him rich for a stupidly large percentage.

Modern pop bands struggle these days because there is no music industry any more and the great public expect their music to be free. For too many of them music is just a background noise that has no relevance in their lives other than to prevent and break up the silence.

Nothing changes much. For every song or act you like there will be dozens that make you cringe.

It was probably easier for us back in the 60s and 70s. Radio, vinyl and cassette were the mediums of the day, with Whistle Test on TV. Now? There is so much music out there on so many different mediums, and so many more distractions for our attention, its not surprising that music is struggling and "Talent" shows are the main feeder for pop contracts.

Edited by mikel

I've never really followed pop music and detest "Top 10" style lists; I honestly couldn't say who is in the charts right now.

There are lots of recorded live shows on Sky Arts and other channels, typically from archives, as opposed to current live performances.

It's all Pop, really. Having been watching these things for decades now, I am firmly of the view that the concept of Art for Art's sake where the music industry is concerned is almost entirely rhetorical. Obviously, we all recognise the 'manufactured' pop of Stock, Aitken and Waterman et al but the reality is that the same 'gimme the money' ethos drives most of the music business. The details differ but the drive for sales is pretty much universal whether we are talking Miles Davis or David Bowie, Van Halen or Pink Floyd. Having a hit is media driven (exposure and image) rather than content driven and how good something is musically is almost entirely academic.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1501511771' post='3345158']
...Having a hit is media driven (exposure and image) rather than content driven and how good something is musically is almost entirely academic.
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more, well said

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1501511771' post='3345158']
It's all Pop, really. Having been watching these things for decades now, I am firmly of the view that the concept of Art for Art's sake where the music industry is concerned is almost entirely rhetorical. Obviously, we all recognise the 'manufactured' pop of Stock, Aitken and Waterman et al but the reality is that the same 'gimme the money' ethos drives most of the music business. The details differ but the drive for sales is pretty much universal whether we are talking Miles Davis or David Bowie, Van Halen or Pink Floyd.[b] Having a hit is media driven (exposure and image) rather than content driven and how good something is musically is almost entirely academic.[/b]
[/quote]

Depends what you mean by good. Define good music.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1501527862' post='3345316']
Depends what you mean by good. Define good music.
[/quote]

On a scale of 0-10..?

Tweets, 'The Birdy Song': 0.5
Clash, 'London Calling': 2.5
Bach, Toccata and Fugue in D Minor: 9.0
Schubert, Symphony N° 9: 11

Next question..?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1501528301' post='3345320']
On a scale of 0-10..?

Tweets, 'The Birdy Song': 0.5
Clash, 'London Calling': 2.5
Bach, Toccata and Fugue in D Minor: 9.0
Schubert, Symphony N° 9: 11

Next question..?
[/quote]

But the Birdy song has a great bassline :)

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1501530221' post='3345340']
music is like food , you either like it or you don't , and experts can debate the pros and cons of each , but does it mean tomatoes shouldn't exist just because I don't like them
[/quote]

Love tomatoes, especially the big ones in Greece with Feta cheese, heaven.