Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker Bass Gets Outed For What It Is

Well, for all of their foibles, they're a great bass IMO. Shame they're so flaming expensive.

Yes, the saddles are a complete pain to adjust, the mute system is useless, the bridge pickup cover generally gets binned, but they still have plenty of fans. And if you like the look, but not the old style of the 4001/4003, there's always the 4004.

They're expensive though... even more so now.

Dave does come across as a bit of a grumpy old chap. :D

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1501528869' post='3345323']
He doesn't seem keen on it
[/quote]

But it IS his bass, and he has owned it for over 40 years! Maybe no one will take it off his hands. I've never had any interest in Rickenbackers, I think they look garish and toy-like. Gibson Thunderbird, now THAT's a real bass guitar!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1501532229' post='3345364']
But it IS his bass, and he has owned it for over 40 years! Maybe no one will take it off his hands. I've never had any interest in Rickenbackers, I think they look garish and toy-like. Gibson Thunderbird, now THAT's a real bass guitar!
[/quote]

I was under the impression he was setting it up for the owner.

I must admit attention may have drifted slightly, but I thought it was his own bass. Either way, I have spent decades as a Fender player and have now defected to Gibson, but can't imagine me playing a Rickenbacker!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1501567386' post='3345496']
Who exactly is this "Dave" bloke, and why is his opinion even remotely of value?
[/quote]

Come on, there's no need to be like that. It's just a bit of fun. He's not fan and he's entitled to his opinion.

As far as I understand it, he was a player himself and is now a guitar tech. He's performed some pretty neat fixes on some of the instruments he's worked on. I seem to remember there was one bass with a twisted neck that he managed to pull apart and set in a vice after gluing it back together again. He just likes getting things back to a playable order. He's a bit grumpy, but you could probably empathise with him?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1501517620' post='3345200']
A full-size photo pinned to the wall could scratch that itch, perhaps..?
[/quote]
and you could throw darts at it and hope to hit a high-quality component or well-made or well-finished section :P