Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker Bass Gets Outed For What It Is

I searched every music shop in that London in '73 to buy a Ricky, coulnd't find a good one :rolleyes: ended up with a beautiful Italian Blonde - Gherson B) B)

Yes - Dave tells it like it is :happy:

Edited by KiOgon

This is a bit old, but doing the rounds again.

He's rambling on about Roger Glover, but RG still has a Ric.

He also mentions Geddy Lee; Geddy still has his.

He bought one in '75 for $700; I bought one in '77 for £220 (it wasn't new, though).

I used Rotosound Swing Bass strings on mine.

It kindof pleases me that the RIc bridge upsets him. The bridge is just a variation on the tune-o-matic and people don't complain about Gibson height adjustment. Once it's done it's done; it's not like you're twiddling with the intonation every day, is it?

He doesn't like the machines - ho-hum.

"Rickenbacker do not publish any setup specs" - I thought they said the neck straight?

He can't find the right wrench for the truss rods - heck, maybe he needs to check his tools... But when he gets his act together, he does acknowledge the two truss rod adjustment.

He seems to like the Ric sound and can handle "Anthem".

He makes a comment about the difference in volume between the two pickups, but that's a characteristic; if you use stereo/Ric-o-Sound it doesn't matter. Of course, the more recent ones have the vintage/modern switch to give you the choice.

For me, the Ric is the best looking, best made, best finished, best sounding bass there is.

Blaming it for being different is kindof missing the point.

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1501500719' post='3345020']
This is a bit old, but doing the rounds again.

He's rambling on about Roger Glover, but RG still has a Ric.

He also mentions Geddy Lee; Geddy still has his.

He bought one in '75 for $700; I bought one in '77 for £220 (it wasn't new, though).

I used Rotosound Swing Bass strings on mine.

It kindof pleases me that the RIc bridge upsets him. The bridge is just a variation on the tune-o-matic and people don't complain about Gibson height adjustment. Once it's done it's done; it's not like you're twiddling with the intonation every day, is it?

He doesn't like the machines - ho-hum.

"Rickenbacker do not publish any setup specs" - I thought they said the neck straight?

He can't find the right wrench for the truss rods - heck, maybe he needs to check his tools... But when he gets his act together, he does acknowledge the two truss rod adjustment.

He seems to like the Ric sound and can handle "Anthem".

He makes a comment about the difference in volume between the two pickups, but that's a characteristic; if you use stereo/Ric-o-Sound it doesn't matter. Of course, the more recent ones have the vintage/modern switch to give you the choice.

For me, the Ric is the best looking, best made, best finished, best sounding bass there is.

Blaming it for being different is kindof missing the point.
[/quote]You're right about the bridge, once set, it's fine; at least for me. Rics are quirky and some of the finishing is plain lazy (my bridge pickup and surround were not fitted on straight). However, it is these quirks that make it iconic and different. My 4003s is a beast to play compared to my Maruszczyks (which are a lesson in build perfection), but it is fun to play.

Nothing I have ever seen has persuaded me to want one. I just think something that expensive should be perfect in every way

I'm really glad he's not being uber critical just for the sake of it though

Edited by Geek99

I have never got on with Rics, think they are too much money for too little bass. I needed one some years ago for a Mod covers band. Bought a retrovibe for a fraction of the cost, sold it as soon as the band finished. P bass all the way, thank you very muchly.

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1501500719' post='3345020']

[/quote]

Best finished bass out there? That's a hell of a stretch.

I've owned quite a few Ric's and played even more. I'm still a Ric owner and no way would I describe them as the best finished bass there is. Quite the opposite in fact.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1501507462' post='3345121']
A Rickenbacker isn't a Fender... What a surprise!
[/quote]

My first proper bass was a 1993 Peavey Foundation that cost around £260, it was FAR better made than ANY Ric I've ever seen in the flesh, the design and construction was great with good fret work and paint finish along with a functioning bridge and nothing sharp to rip my fingers open on, the only cool thing about a Ric is the look of it.

I had one in early 80's and it was a reasonable enough build quality. Don't recall any great issues with it.
My main gripe was that it was a one trick pony to me. It couldn't give me the same variation of tones that other basses could.
Think i bought a Jazz bass after it.
Must admit to loving the look of them and nearly bought one last year but decided to go for Fender PJ instead.
Might still get one tho. They are an iconic looking bass.

Dave

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1501486440' post='3344876']
I searched every music shop in that London in '73 to buy a Ricky, coulnd't find a good one :rolleyes: ended up with a beautiful Italian Blonde - Gherson B) B)

Yes - Dave tells it like it is :happy:
[/quote]
Bought mine in 1972 - you snooze you lose! ONE out of all the ones I tried in the Denmark Street area was a nice instrument, so I bought it. Traded for a Travis Bean a few years later because it was chewing the skin off my right forearm!

Edited by ivansc