Why become a member? ×

Bad back - bigger cab?

AntLockyer

I've been struggling with my back for a while and the worst part is bending from hte waist. My current Genz Benz 2x12 has been spot on for every gig I've played with it over the last couple of years and being on tilt back casters easy tomove about for a normal person. For me though it means bending down to reach the handles, putting me at a very awkward and painful angle. My idea then is to get something that is a 1 hand carry or a little left field taller than the 2x12 so I don't have to bend forward to wheel it around.

Any recomendations? Head is an EBS Reidmar.

I did consider DIY maybe a 15" with something else up top. As long as I can lean it over onto my car boot opening I can transport it.

thanks

I think handles that mount on the current handles might the the bodge I need. I'm 6'1" but when the can is angled back it's pretty low down especially if you are trying to get over uneven ground.

I was looking at an Ampeg 6x10 on Ebay that gave me the idea for the additional handles.

This might seem like daft question as I don't know your medical history. Have you been to see the doctor about your back? I've tried different therapies including seeing a chiropractor and also physio. The latter having had a lasting effect on my lower back health. I think a tall 2x12 is the best route to go and you are there already. If it is a light weight cabinet then even better. I also use a trolley when necessary as mentioned above. It's one with nice big wheels on that doesn't get stuck on grass etc.

For my small cabinets, yes I do have a pair of Berg HD112's which are nice and manageable despite not being 'neo', but when it comes to helium filled and big sounds, the Barfaced BB2 is super wonderful. If you want a much bigger 2x12, the the Big Twin II is a great cabinet, again, helium filled.

This isn't a post about telling you to buy something new, but if you get a chance to handle different cabinets, you might find that it's where the handles are on your cabinet that is making you bend in a certain way? Make it a bit taller (stand it on a Gramma Pad for example) and you might find it easier to lift.

I don't know the nature of what your back injury but speaking generally, IME you can never make a bad back 100% again. The best most of us can do is to stabilise it, ie stop it getting any worse. With that in mind, going heavier is a crazy thing to do with any back problems.

Firstly, the obvious. . . . bend from your knees, not your waist. I assume you already know that. Then wear a wide belt around your waist if you are lifting, like weightlifters do. Then only hoist, ie lift when your other hand/arm is supporting you on another object. So one arm on a flat surface and lift with the other. That way during the lift phase, which is the dangerous bit, you're taking the weight across your back, shoulder to shoulder and not up your spine.

Move to good quality, more powerful, smaller, lighter cabs (30lbs or less), and use several of them. I've been on multiple 112 cabs for the last 10 years and as a strategy for a back injury it really works.

Always use a good trolley and try Pilates. It works.

You might be able to remove the slide up handle mechanism from a suitcase and fix it to the back of the cab, but I'd recomment a lightweight folding sack truck. If it won't slide under your cab then just get some bigger feet fitted to lift it a little.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1501513016' post='3345167']
I'd recomment a lightweight folding sack truck. If it won't slide under your cab then just get some bigger feet fitted to lift it a little.[/quote]
You can tip the cab slightly and the trolley will slide right under.

I have the Ashdown RM414 (a 4ohm 410) and have put some 4" castors on it. It makes it a doddle to wheel about. Getting a set of decent castors will add height to your cab, plus make the actual moving about of it so much easier. I`m 6 foot and the height of the 410 inc the castors is 29"/74cm, and pretty simple to get about. So thinking of the Genz 212 which seems about 78cm you`d add at least 10cm plus make the moving of it way easier.

Another option would be to house the cab in a lightweight flight case - something like this http://www.bcsmanufacturing.co.uk/backline01.html

That way the cab can stand on the wheel base and the top cover can have whichever handles you need and wherever you need them.

Of course, you'll add a little weight, but the portability and height will both increase.

Greg

Only 2 small 'tilt' ones on the back edge (easy to remove to fit into more permanent base of case) - the case option potentially solves the suggested issues (height of cab and accessibility of handles).

Edited by five-string.co.uk

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1501587495' post='3345683']
For the same reason I'm looking into a 6 x 10" tilt back cab , as I have a van , even though the weight would be considerably more as long as the venue doesn't have stairs it should be easier to wheel about .
[/quote]

I`m surprised you`ve not already got the RM610, Kevin. Great cabs, I had a blast through one last year at the LBGS, had a really nice sound to it, punchy and focused. Must admit, if any spare cash comes my way I might end up with one for bigger gigs.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1501623542' post='3346080']
I`m surprised you`ve not already got the RM610, Kevin. Great cabs, I had a blast through one last year at the LBGS, had a really nice sound to it, punchy and focused. Must admit, if any spare cash comes my way I might end up with one for bigger gigs.
[/quote] As soon as I get my house move out of the way , I'll be looking for a old ABM 6 x10 , I prefer the bigger wheels & steel grill especially after a bit of a prang we had in the van ;) But I will try one .