Why become a member? ×

Gear For Music Archer Professional Bass thoughts

All thumbs

Hi!

I'm buying me a double bass and am getting snow blind very quickly.

I like the look of this - http://www.gear4music.com/Woodwind-Brass-Strings/Archer-3-4-Size-Professional-Double-Bass-by-Gear4music/8UV

Here's a video of the same bass...
https://youtu.be/GChtRjv9-fM

It sounds great to my ears. The action looks way higher than I'd like, so I'd be removing some material from that bridge.

Anyone got any thoughts on the pros and cons of this bass?

Thanks in advance...

Before you splash the cash based on an old review, there are a couple of things worth bearing in mind;
- Gear4Music are sourcing their double basses from an anonymous far east source, this doesn't automatically mean that they are bad, but there is no guaruntee that if you buy what they are listing today, that it will be the same product as what they were selling back in 2010.
- Factory produced instruments usually need proper setup work to make them truly playable, every retailer that sells stringed instruments has a different standard as far as what they consider setting up a new instrument entails - box shifters don't invest the necessary man hours to bring instruments to their full potential, and much of the time what they consider "set-up" equates to borderline unplayable.
- Double basses are very idiosyncratic due to the sheer size of the bits of wood used in their contruction.

I would strongly recommend you take a road trip to the Gear4Music showroom in York and take a look in person at what they are selling before pulling the trigger, and also make the effort to play at least one double bass that has been set up properly by a good luthier so you know the difference.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1501578464' post='3345580']
And there is a very nice looking bass for sale in the DB section, a Michael Poller, for £650. Personally I'd snap that one up.
[/quote]

+++1

Ususally second hand instuments have had most issues sorted and you get more for your money. Plus, Leeds is closer to you than York ;)

Thanks for the replies!!

After a lot of searching around, I still had a good feeling about the Archer. I took a trip out yesterday and 1st tried the bass mentioned in Leeds, which was very nice and the chap selling it is a diamond (highly recommend). I then carried on to York to check out the G4M Archer.

They had several DBs out on display (none setup properly so you have to see through that). After playing them all, the Archer REALLY stood out with tone to die for, even with the sh*t factory strings and a mile high action. I said if I bought it, I wanted that actual bass which turned out was no problem. They even brought a few more basses out of the warehouse, unboxed them and let me compare so I could pick the best one! They all sounded great although it did look like the boxed ones were from a completely different builder/factory!!

The guy I dealt with did me a great price and with their 30 day no quibble money back guarantee and two year warranty I was actually very impressed.

Anyways to cut to the chase I purchased the original display one and am one very happy bassist right now!! :-). Getting her setup this morning with Spirocores.

Will report in after a little time to let you know how it's working out...

Thanks again sincerely for all the input here.

Edited by All thumbs

[quote name='The Jaywalker' timestamp='1501661626' post='3346227']
Yeah, I would definitely agree. The bass in the classifieds here will have been played and setup etc. For the amount of cash you'd throw (away?) on the Archer plus setup something reliable will definitely turn as a private sale. Plus, you get the fun of trying different basses and chatting/hanging with bassists ;-)
If there's any luthier close to you, ask them if they know of anything for sale or any bassists who might know.

The Archer sounds pretty poor in the video - although the setup also looks poor to say the least. At the end of the day, "professional" basses aren't made in some Chinese factory and sold at that price. You might find a good one, but I'll bet my mortgage and both kids that the differing quality between the instruments will be considerable.
I would avoid Gear for Music like the plague due to prior experience. I took a punt on ordering a cello (billed as advancing student model) for my daughter and had to send the original and it's replacement back to them as they arrived with serious problems resulting from piss-poor construction. One had a loose neck with a cracked block, the other had the table detached from the oversized bottom ribs. GFM promo at the time was "not made in some cheap Indian factory"..."work with European craftsmen"...Yeah, made in a cheap Chinese factory instead - said Yangtze River Music Company on the box! GfM were also extremely difficult when I asked for a refund instead of a further replacement, insisting that I had no idea what I was talking about and their products were top quality. Guy even denied they were cheap Chinese imports and claimed they were made in Europe....
These guys have a reputation for being crap-peddling cowboys for a reason ;-)
[/quote]

Hmmm. Sincere thanks for the input, but good or bad, I bought the Archer already - I'm very happy with my purchase so far but I guess time will tell...

Edited by All thumbs

[quote name='petebassist' timestamp='1501862534' post='3347895']
Good luck with the new bass mate. The new Spiros will make a big improvement over the factory strings. What gauge did you go, for just out of interest?
[/quote]

Cheers! It's GREAT! The Spiros arrived today (weich) and they have made a huge difference. The tone is stunning imho. Got the action lovely and playable too.

Genuinely very pleased with it. :-)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1501943375' post='3348385']
Ooh that looks very pretty!
[/quote]
[quote name='Burg' timestamp='1502001803' post='3348649']
That's a lovely looking bass.
[/quote]
[quote name='Lazurus' timestamp='1502090678' post='3349148']
Great colour for a "new" one.
[/quote]

Thanks for the comments. :-)

I'm really loving it so far...

[quote name='All thumbs' timestamp='1502097239' post='3349226']
Thanks for the comments. :-)

I'm really loving it so far...
[/quote]

What musical direction are you heading with it, Scott? (If you don't mind me being nosey :))

Edited by TPJ

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1502098985' post='3349242']
What musical direction are you heading with it, Scott? (If you don't mind me being nosey :))
[/quote]

Not at all. I played upright many years ago with initially a view to playing jazz, but inevitably got more into slapping the thing playing swing/jump/rockabilly stuff.

This time round, it's more of a tone choice. I've turned down/lost sooooo many studio dates & gigs because they wanted upright (sometimes just on one album track but it means I lose the entire session) that I decided it's time to get another.

I'll always be primarily an electric bass player I guess as I've spent so many years dedicated to it, but I'm working harder than ever this time round to be a 'proper' double bass player too. The wonders of YouTube - it's really helping me use the correct technique and posture this time round - last time I had to find my own way (certainly couldn't afford lessons back then, in fact I could barely make the monthly payments on the bass lol).