Anyone get fret buzz with Rotosound Trubass

5 replies to this topic

#1 markdavid

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Interests:Bass Playing, Music , Spicy Foodstuffs , Real Ale , Classic Fenders

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:31 AM

Hi

Have just tried Rotosound Trubass on one of my basses, I was really pleased to find that this bass that is usually a little out with intonation is now strangely pretty much bang on however I have found that there is fret buzz at 12th and 15th fret of the A and D string that is not there with other strings, is a little annoying but I can live with it as I rarely go that high on the neck.

Have tightened the truss rod but has made no real difference, I remember reading somewhere ages ago about fret buzz with Rotosound Trubass , does anyone here have this issues with these strings?
My action is a hair above 2mm on the E string and slightly under 2mm on the G, I may raise the action slightly to counter the buzz but really hoping I dont have to raise it too much

#2 Johnny Wishbone

I was saying Boo-urns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:49 AM

At the risk of asking a silly question, wouldn't you get more buzz if the truss rod is tightened, as you're straightening the neck and effectively moving the frets closer to the strings?

I would have thought loosening the truss rod (more neck relief) would have been the way to go?

Edited by Johnny Wishbone, 02 August 2017 - 10:49 AM.

#3 markdavid

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Interests:Bass Playing, Music , Spicy Foodstuffs , Real Ale , Classic Fenders

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:01 AM

View PostJohnny Wishbone, on 02 August 2017 - 10:49 AM, said:

At the risk of asking a silly question, wouldn't you get more buzz if the truss rod is tightened, as you're straightening the neck and effectively moving the frets closer to the strings?

I would have thought loosening the truss rod (more neck relief) would have been the way to go?
Hi, I tightened the truss rod as ime usually fret buzz on the upper neck (frets 12-15) means there is too much relief and buzz on the lower frets (1-6) usually means the neck needs more relief

#4 The59Sound

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:01 PM

View PostJohnny Wishbone, on 02 August 2017 - 10:49 AM, said:

Me too...

#5 Nodd

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:40 PM

Trubass strings have a lot less tension than Swing Bass etc.
They have a wider vibration and rotation when plucked,
I think you may need to increase the height of your action.
Nodd
Basses - All Lefty
'75 Fender Precision, '06 Musicman Bongo HS, '09 Squier Precision Spec
'81 Eko AB4FL with K&K True bass transducer
Framus EUB, Dean Pace EUB
Amplification - Aria Loco 6162 Combo Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout15 Scout12 EA Wizzy12
FX - Emma Discumbobulator EHX Micro Bass Synth Behringer Reverb Sans Amp BDDI Digitech MultiChorus
Fishman Platinum Bass EQ EHX Soul Food Wooly Mammoth Clone HB PowerPlant Powerbank

http://www.thebluesissue.co.uk/

http://www.ashortstay.co.uk/

#6 hubrad

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:58 PM

^^ that.
Or play a bit lighter. Learn which works best for you.
I have a bass with nylons on pretty much all the time, quite different from anything else.
www.myspace.com/hughbass for me

User and endorsee of Picato and Innovation strings

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users