Why become a member? ×

Rechargeable batteries.

ambient

Any recommendations as to which are the best and most reliable?

An effort to try and reduce our unsustainable, throw it away lifestyle.

I've been using Duracell Industrial batteries in my bass and my ebow, I know I do an awful lot of playing, but they don't see to last.

The battery went in my bass on Sunday afternoon, a bit annoyingly because I didn't have a spare. I hadn't realised that my brother had appropriated the last two in the box, and left the empty box in the cupboard. I got there and the cupboard was bare, as the old nursery rhyme goes :).

:)

What size are we talking?

I use eneloop AAA for my smoothhound and they last 'kin aaages

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-eneloop-BK-3MCCE-8BE-Batteries/dp/B00JZBX8DQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1501581612&sr=8-8&keywords=eneloop+aaa

ah but you say for your bass,,, so do you mean PP9? can't help there I just use duracell for me active Yamaha...its been in there about 3 years so far.....

These will do the job ...

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-Energizer-9V-PP3-Block-Rechargeable-Battery-175-mAh-/300480470746?epid=224766396&hash=item45f6081eda:g:sg0AAOSwn-tZEt1I"]Ebay: Energizer HR22 ...[/url]

I use a Leckium version; they last quite a while before needing recharging. Best to have two or more, though, if running low is a possibility, so as to always have one charged up, ready to go (Ever Ready..? ;) )

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1501583051' post='3345634']
These will do the job ...

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-Energizer-9V-PP3-Block-Rechargeable-Battery-175-mAh-/300480470746?epid=224766396&hash=item45f6081eda:g:sg0AAOSwn-tZEt1I"]Ebay: Energizer HR22 ...[/url]

I use a Leckium version; they last quite a while before needing recharging. Best to have two or more, though, if running low is a possibility, so as to always have one charged up, ready to go (Ever Ready..? ;) )
[/quote]

Thanks :), I was planning on getting 3, so I'd have a spare.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1501582892' post='3345630']
They're 9 volt rectangular batteries.

I'm getting maybe 2 months use.

Do you know if they're Amazon's own?
[/quote]

No, Eneloop are made by Panasonic and are regarded as high performance rechargeables.

One thing to bear in mind is that the rechargeable ones dont deliver as much in the way of voltage as a conventional battery. If 9volts is the limit of what your kit can cope with, it becomes a bit hit-and-miss. I went back to Indistrial duracells or Kodak commercials after struggling with the rechargeables.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1501582892' post='3345630']
I'm getting maybe 2 months use. . . . [/quote]

That's not good. The battery on my Lakland used to last more than 12 months. I don't know if this made a difference, but I kept the volume on the bass low and pushed up the master on the amp to compensate.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1501604646' post='3345868']
I'm using eneloop and 7-day-shop's own brand AAs, AAAs and PP3s.

But not for bass preamp batteries. They seem to be lasting literally years, even for basses I play a lot.
[/quote]

Not for bass preamp?

I was looking at the 7 day shop ones on Amazon earlier.

Even factoring in that I'd need to buy a charger, I'd pretty soon get my money back.

No rechargables for me, just seems like a pain in the butt.

The other thing, I'm not good with the terminal connections on 9 volts.

Everytime I go to switch out the 9 volt in my G&L ASAT bass, I risk damaging the female connectors.

Maybe it's just the nature of this older bass (1991). It's so tight trying to separate the connecting terminals I usually pull the small male connector out of the battery.

If that battery goes dead the bass is useless.

BTW,the active pre-amp is really quiet.

Blue

It's true that a rechargeable won't last as long as a dry cell, and that I'm not gigging with mine, but I use one rechargeable for my active basses (a Cort fiver. and a Douglas six-string..) and my guitar pedals (various Boss-type stuff...). I don't use 'em at the same time, so only need the one. Not used every day, either, but I'm only charging it up every six months or so; it's never clapped out on me whilst playing. If I was gigging, I'd do the same, but have a charged-up spare, just in case, and maybe charge up the night before. It's been a very, very long time (several decades...) since I last bought a 9v battery..! ;)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1501605508' post='3345875']
It's true that a rechargeable won't last as long as a dry cell, and that I'm not gigging with mine, but I use one rechargeable for my active basses (a Cort fiver. and a Douglas six-string..) and my guitar pedals (various Boss-type stuff...). I don't use 'em at the same time, so only need the one. Not used every day, either, but I'm only charging it up every six months or so; it's never clapped out on me whilst playing. If I was gigging, I'd do the same, but have a charged-up spare, just in case, and maybe charge up the night before. It's been a very, very long time (several decades...) since I last bought a 9v battery..! ;)
[/quote]

I'm quite well organised, and worry a lot. I think I'd get into the habit of recharging them all every night before a gig. It just seems a wast of money throwing stuff away, when I can use re-chargeables, but it's not too environmentally friendly.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1501606435' post='3345886']

I'm quite well organised, and worry a lot. I think I'd get into the habit of recharging them all every night before a gig. It just seems a wast of money throwing stuff away, when I can use re-chargeables, but it's not too environmentally friendly.
[/quote]

The energiser ones come charged and once charged hold their charge, unlike the old ni-cads. All you need to do is charge one up when it comes out of your bass.

And remember to take it out of the charger once it's fully charged, it's no good if you've left it at home. :D

Got some 9v PP3 style ones and some Eneloop AAs and AAAs all from Amazon, they've been great, no problems at all. in fact, I cant remember when I last changed the 9vs over tbh

**edit** they aint called PP3s anymore are they? Lord alone knows why not. Who here knows what an HP7 is? No-one in my family does, and they look at me gone out whenever I mention it :)

Edited by sprocketflup

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1501623150' post='3346074']
Got some 9v PP3 style ones and some Eneloop AAs and AAAs all from Amazon, they've been great, no problems at all. in fact, I cant remember when I last changed the 9vs over tbh

**edit** they aint called PP3s anymore are they? Lord alone knows why not. Who here knows what an HP7 is? No-one in my family does, and they look at me gone out whenever I mention it :)
[/quote]

**another edit** go for lithium Ion batts if you can, they have no memory point so you can charge them from any point in their discharge cycle with no ill effects .