Why become a member? ×

August Composition Challenge - GET WRITING

Skol303

[color=#800000][size=5][b]August’s Composition Challenge is now underway![/b][/size][/color]

[size=5]We had three winners last month: [b]Dad3353[/b], [b]Mornats[/b] and [b]lowdown[/b] (congrats guys!), with this month’s picture chosen by lowdown on a first come first served basis :)[/size]

Click on the 'Spoiler' button below to read the usual rules and caveats:

[spoiler]By entering the competition you agree to the Basschat Terms and Conditions and Forum Guidelines, which are designed to help ensure the forum remains free of offensive and/or illegal behaviour and material. In a nutshell:

[b]1) Please avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive.[/b] If your track contains explicit lyrics, then please warn other forum users so they can choose for themselves whether to listen to it.

[b]2) Please make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds included in your track[/b] (ie. sounds that you have not recorded yourself, such as samples of other people's music). The owners of Basschat accept no responsibility for infringements of copyright or other forms of legal ownership, which are solely the responsibility of competition entrants.

[b]3) Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition[/b], taking inspiration from the photo provided. No cheating!

If you have any questions, just ask.[/spoiler]

[b][color=#800000][size=5]The deadline for entries is midnight on Thursday 24th August.[/size][/color][/b]

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1501594003' post='3345740']
I reckon that picture is crying out for Mornats' DOOM array! ;)
[/quote]

Don't encourage the so-and so..! :o

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3](... but he'll do 'Doom' just the same; just you wait and see... [/size][/font][/color] :lol:[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] [/size][/font][/color] :P[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] )[/size][/font][/color]

Here's mine, too, equally inspired by the beast's progression ...

[url="https://soundcloud.com/dad3353/inexorable-what-goes-up-must-come-down"]Inexorable (What goes up must come down...) ...[/url]

Something of a tone poem, really, or atmospheric piece, rather than EDM. I was looking to create a sense of both the immediate and yet the eternal; the ephemera and the timeless. A touch of human in an insentient landscape, an incongruous passage past the immobile monuments. There's a couple of 'jokes' in there, too, in both the form (a pyramid waveform...) and the repeated rising and falling of both the 'melody' and the key; some may recognise the Circle of Fifths being once again abused. Incidentally, the scale used is not authentic Egyptian, despite its familiarity; it's really the Hungarian scale, which better serves my purposes, being symmetrical (the twelve semi-tones are spaced 1-3-1-2-1-3-1...), as is a pyramid..!
Kontakt 'World Percussion' for the darbukas (playing in 7/4 and 4/4 time...), a Ruby acoustic bass, Kontakt Pearl piano, a snatch of Desert Song and some home-generated samples of oud snippets, all sanded down with some slightly complex desert winds, made up of three instances of the Wind module by Xoxos (Sounds Of Nature...).
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy. B)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1501782636' post='3347365']
I'm in...

https://soundcloud.com/gxmix/pyramids

Found inspiration from it quite easily & tried to take it from a camel rider's perspective. :lol:
[/quote]
I started listening to this and I fell into a deep trance when I came to.... I was standing outside my local mosque. Powerful stuff.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1501813017' post='3347528']

[url="https://soundcloud.com/dad3353/inexorable-what-goes-up-must-come-down"]Inexorable (What goes up must come down...) ...[/url]

Something of a tone poem, really, or atmospheric piece, rather than EDM. I was looking to create a sense of both the immediate and yet the eternal; the ephemera and the timeless. A touch of human in an insentient landscape, an incongruous passage past the immobile monuments. There's a couple of 'jokes' in there, too, in both the form (a pyramid waveform...) and the repeated rising and falling of both the 'melody' and the key. Incidentally, the scale used is not authentic Egyptian, despite its familiarity; it's really the Hungarian scale, which better serves my purposes, being symmetrical (the twelve semi-tones are spaced 1-3-1-2-1-3-1...), as is a pyramid..!
Kontakt 'World Percussion' for the darbukas (playing in 7/4 and 4/4 time...), a Ruby acoustic bass, Kontakt Pearl piano, a snatch of Desert Song and some home-generated samples of oud snippets, all sanded down with some slightly complex desert winds, made up of three instances of the Wind module by Xoxos (Sounds Of Nature...).
[/quote]
Beautiful, for a moment I was Santiago whilst my Fatima awaited.

[quote name='bassinvader36' timestamp='1501889125' post='3348103']
i cant see the picture?!
[/quote]

Listen to the compositions, then; they'll conjure the picture up for you..! ;)

No, seriously; if you can't see the picture, we'll need to know what system you're using (PC, Mac, other..? OS..? Can you see other pictures..?) Tell us more...

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1501887467' post='3348096']
I started listening to this and I fell into a deep trance when I came to.... I was standing outside my local mosque. Powerful stuff.
[/quote]
:D
I often seem to be able to write music that put's people to sleep. I don't know if that's a good thing or not! :lol:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1501813017' post='3347528']

Something of a tone poem, really, or atmospheric piece, rather than EDM. I was looking to create a sense of both the immediate and yet the eternal; the ephemera and the timeless. A touch of human in an insentient landscape, an incongruous passage past the immobile monuments. There's a couple of 'jokes' in there, too, in both the form (a pyramid waveform...) and the repeated rising and falling of both the 'melody' and the key. Incidentally, the scale used is not authentic Egyptian, despite its familiarity; it's really the Hungarian scale, which better serves my purposes, being symmetrical (the twelve semi-tones are spaced 1-3-1-2-1-3-1...), as is a pyramid..!
[/quote]

It is always my policy not to listen to other entries till mine is done , I'll have to try not to read them now as well as I had exactly the same idea as that ,word for word :(

Yeah , right :lol:

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1501922750' post='3348210']
It is always my policy not to listen to other entries till mine is done...
[/quote]

Another reason for getting stuff done [i]early[/i]; I can now listen and enjoy all the entries, as they come in, and see who's been [s]copying[/s] inspired by [i]mine[/i]..! :lol:

Edited by Dad3353