Why become a member? ×

EB3 strings

Sheq

[color=#34495E][font=Lato, sans-serif][size=4]OK, rather than spend loads of money on a P-sound, I thought I'd try and change the strings on my Epiphone EB3. This one is white and is apparently a short scale. So I thought. I've measured the scale length from nut to bridge and it's 32", then I measured from nut to 12th fret and doubled it, and that's 30". So now I don't know if I need short scale or medium scale strings (going for flatwounds so I want to get it right).[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#34495E][font=Lato, sans-serif][size=4] [/size][/font][/color][color=#34495E][font=Lato, sans-serif][size=4]Anyone know? :blink:[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Sheq' timestamp='1501619664' post='3346028']
[color=#34495E][font=Lato, sans-serif][size=4]OK, rather than spend loads of money on a P-sound, I thought I'd try and change the strings on my Epiphone EB3. This one is white and is apparently a short scale. So I thought. I've measured the scale length from nut to bridge and it's 32", then I measured from nut to 12th fret and doubled it, and that's 30". So now I don't know if I need short scale or medium scale strings (going for flatwounds so I want to get it right).[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#34495E][font=Lato, sans-serif][size=4] [/size][/font][/color][color=#34495E][font=Lato, sans-serif][size=4]Anyone know? :blink:[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]
hi,you need to measure from the nut to the bridge saddles,that will give you your Scale length

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1501674085' post='3346435']
hi,you need to measure from the nut to the bridge saddles,that will give you your Scale length
[/quote]

No it won't. You need to measure from the nut to the 12th fret and double it. This is the only accurate way of doing it.

Of course scale length doesn't take into account the extra non-speaking portions of the the string, which depending on the construction of your bass may require you to fit strings longer than the scale length would normally dictate.

Edited by BigRedX