Why become a member? ×

Fender P bass 1965 or 1972

william

I have the chance to buy a 65 P bas, the only thing is years ago i messed around with a 72 P bass and fell in love with it, so my mind has always been focused on a early 70´s P bas..

My question is, what are the differences between the 2?? Is there any difference sound wise, how does the low, mids and highs compare..

The 65 feels nice and light, 8.1lbs!!!

I like to play Motown, Pink floyd and REM.

Cheers

Oh dear - I'd better fetch the popcorn for this thread

You'll get a lot of information

Maybe post some pictures as the colour can indicate wood choice which will influence the sound to an arguable extent.

Edited by Geek99

The first thing you've done properly is play the guitar - many people don't, particularly with imported guitars.

As the owner of a few ridiculously expensive guitars, I'd suggest buying the one you like the best and that sounds the best. If you want collectibility then buy the most complete and original example. If you have the money I'd plump for the '65, but there were awful basses in all eras and wonderful ones.

If you like the 65, it feels good and sounds good, and you can get it for a decent price, it has to be worth getting. In all likelyhood it will only increase in value if it`s all original, so as well as having a great instrument you also have an investment. And really, a P-Bass is Motown, and will certainly cover Floyd and REM as well.

If you've tried both, which do you prefer?
Buy that one!

I have a '71 Precision, and I've preferred that to a number of 60's Ps I've played over the years. No mine probably isn't 'the best' in terms of era or collectability etc etc, but it's the best sounding and playing I've come across. Date has nothing to do with it, your opinion on which works best for you matters.

Si

I've always been a fan of early 70's (that said I'm thinking of springing for something 60s in the future).

Differences... apart from cosmetic (tuners, decals, colours etc.) the big difference will probably be neck profile, with the '71 probably (but not necessarily) being chunkier front-to-back.

I had to make a similar decision. 62 or 74 (birth year) the 74 was absolutely outstanding. The tone was incredible, it played like nothing else, it weighed 7 metric tonnes. The 62 sounded amazing, the C neck was harder to play but it sounded better than anything I'd heard before apart from the 74, it weighed very little.

In the end I chose the 62 as it was for gigging not recording. If I was looking for something that I didn't have to hold for 2 hours it would have been the 74 no doubt at all.

[quote name='william' timestamp='1501659998' post='3346216']

My question is, what are the differences between the 2?? Is there any difference sound wise, how does the low, mids and highs compare..
[/quote]

You'll find some sound clips of 60's and 70's basses here http://www.andybaxterbass.com/guitars.php?pc=1&cat=1

[quote name='Burns-bass' timestamp='1501661659' post='3346229']
The first thing you've done properly is play the guitar - many people don't, particularly with imported guitars.

As the owner of a few ridiculously expensive guitars, I'd suggest buying the one you like the best and that sounds the best. If you want collectibility then buy the most complete and original example. If you have the money I'd plump for the '65, but there were awful basses in all eras and wonderful ones.
[/quote]

Agree. If you are going to buy a collector instrument, and can afford a '65, you might as well, so long as it has the original finish, pickups and only very minor changes, if any. If it plays and sounds really well and is very light you won't regret it.

I have two P's that are similar: a 64 and a 74.

The 74 is a year of birth, and so special for that reason.

I lucked out on both to be honest. In fact, I've probably used up all of my bass buying karma on them!

Differences as far as I am concerned:

- Neck profiles are very different. 74 has a standard 70's nut width (1.65") and a rounder C, the 64 is wider at 1.75" and slimmer front to back.
- The 74 is maple, the 64 Braz Rosewood, and the 64 feels slicker, smoother and easier to move around on
- Weight difference is negligible - the 64 is a touch lighter, but like I said, I lucked out getting a light 70's P..
- Finish feels different, with the 64 being nitro and the 74 not..
- Sound wise, the tone pot is more usable on the 64 and gives a more pleasing rolled off tone, and I'd say the 64 is generally a bit more 'refined' - it's a woodier sound. The 74 is clearly a hotter pickup and has more heft, but they both sound like classic P basses (duh!)

They are both all original. They both make me very happy, for slightly different reasons. And the crunch question - which do I prefer? Well, only one gets hauled to rehearsals, used for recording, writing new bass lines and practice.. and that's the 64.

The simple answer is buy the one you prefer (playing wise).

If it's a toss up, get the 72 and enjoy spending the change. The pre-CBS era is the hallowed time, supposedly, but my 66 is far better (for me) than any of the earlier basses I have owned. The period 66 to 73/74 is, as far as I am concerned, the period to look at. Every bit as good as pre-CBS (body weight etc) but at far less cost.

Yes, back in the day there was a massive stigma against anything 'post CBS' - and whilst I agree that when the accountants moved in to slash costs in the early '70's quality took a dive, to suggest that quality went downhill the very day CBS took over is clearly nonsense.
From an investment point of view, I guess the pre CBS would be a better bet. But if it plays like a worn out old dog and you're planning on buying something to actually use rather than hanging on the wall then choose the '72.

I bought a recent USA `62 reissue P bass a while back & while it isn`t a patch on "how I remember" my original 62 being, it is still a great bass, very comfortable to plays, sounds wonderful for the old rock and roll and soul stuff I have been doing.
But anything more contemporary and I am back to my old pal the hybrid Explorer P/J.
Horses for courses, so unless you really are going to buy the older one and wrap it in cotton wool, go with the one that you like playing best. I am seriously considering moving my `62 on as my bass gigs dwindle, especially since the singer in my rock and roll relic band passed on recently. But that would reduce me to one baritone, one e-bass and an electric upright, so I suspect I would have an immediate attacl of GAS...

Edited by ivansc

The question is how you view your instruments: as a working piece of machinery or an appreciating asset. It can be both, but the former will (in time) affect the latter, with wear and tear and inevitable changes needed affecting the value of your instrument. I have the jack socket of my 66' re-soldered for example, which now renders it slightly modified, but I couldn't be doing a gig with a crackly bass or my bandmates would have killed me!

It's also worth considering how liquid that asset is. The market for vintage guitars is buoyant at the moment, but it crashed after the last recession and with consumer debt currently at huge levels, it could happen again. Then your prized bass may be worth a lot less than it currently is. Markets being dynamic and all that. If you've bought the best player (that suits you) then you should be in a good position.

As someone who spent their 20s and early 30s recklessly wasting money this realisation is slightly jarring, as I now recognise that I sound a lot like my dad.

I take great pleasure in sounding like a Dad. Buy the bass that you like the most, as long as it doesn't ruin your finances. If you are a collector/investor then the older and most original wins, but probably not if you are a working musician. One of life's nicer dilemmas 😜

[quote name='Bridgehouse' timestamp='1501716712' post='3346913']
I have two P's that are similar: a 64 and a 74.

The 74 is a year of birth, and so special for that reason.

I lucked out on both to be honest. In fact, I've probably used up all of my bass buying karma on them!

Differences as far as I am concerned:

- Neck profiles are very different. 74 has a standard 70's nut width (1.65") and a rounder C, the 64 is wider at 1.75" and slimmer front to back.
- The 74 is maple, the 64 Braz Rosewood, and the 64 feels slicker, smoother and easier to move around on
- Weight difference is negligible - the 64 is a touch lighter, but like I said, I lucked out getting a light 70's P..
- Finish feels different, with the 64 being nitro and the 74 not..
- Sound wise, the tone pot is more usable on the 64 and gives a more pleasing rolled off tone, and I'd say the 64 is generally a bit more 'refined' - it's a woodier sound. The 74 is clearly a hotter pickup and has more heft, but they both sound like classic P basses (duh!)

They are both all original. They both make me very happy, for slightly different reasons. And the crunch question - which do I prefer? Well, only one gets hauled to rehearsals, used for recording, writing new bass lines and practice.. and that's the 64.

[/quote]is the guard on the white one original?

Oh wow, that white Precision is beautiful :wub:

The only 70s Precision I've been lucky enough to play weighed so much it could double as a boat's anchor, and you could pilot said boat through the neck pocket gap. Sounded incredible though, and the neck was perfect.

[quote name='Bridgehouse' timestamp='1501788131' post='3347420']

Yeah I couldn't find one that matched!! It's close enough for a player tho
[/quote]they do do reissue 70's guards with correct truss rod access or if you are lucky you sometimes see original ones on eBay