Why become a member? ×

Hi from Derbyshire!

flaxholmelis

Hello there! Another newbie from Derbyshire. Been playing for a year now and also the wrong side of half a century - seems to be quite a few of us (hmm) 'late starters'. I started playing a Washburn Force 4 ABT with flatwounds and a few months ago went for a complete change with a Fender P-Bass with roundwounds. Finding that quite a challenge as it couldn't be more different to play than the Washburn, but it sounds great when I get the muting right. Would love to hear about events/goings on in the Derby area.

Good evening, flaxholmelis, and ...

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167528]

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share. 'Late starter', eh..? Maybe beyond youthful fugue, but maybe it's made up for in wisdom, no..? :D

Hi and welcome :)

There are a few of us Derby and District members here. I'm Duffield, Len_Derby is Allestree. Spondonbassed is, well, Spondon, Chris Sharman is Belper and, no doubt, there are probably many more. You'll find yourself in good company whatever your age, genre or ability level :)

Andy

Welcome sir...

I'm not from Derbyshire but like you [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I played a Washburn Force 4 ABT I thought they were quite good basses. I liked the neck profile and the balance - they don't seem to get much recognition these days....[/font][/color]

Welcome Flaxholmelis. Good to have another Derbyshire lad onboard. Now you've boosted our number I reckon we're only a prune short of a movement.

You been to any Open Mic nights yet?
[url="http://openmikefinder.com/UK/England/Derbyshire/"]Derbyshire Open Mike Nights - Open Mike Finder[/url]

Thanks for all your replies. Andyjr1515 you probably have an idea where I am from then.
I've been having lessons and had a chance to play with a band a couple of times when I was working away. Where do people around here go for jam sessions etc?
TheGreek - yes, I like the Washburn, but I would like to try it with some roundwounds. The flatwounds are a bit dead on it - but of course that could just be my playing. They seem to need a bit of hammer though.

Edited by flaxholmelis

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='flaxholmelis' timestamp='1501696641' post='3346716']
...Where do people around here go for jam sessions etc?...
[/quote]

That's the eternal question. You may want to post it in the main forum.

I have had to do the Open Mic thing to get any practice playing ensemble. It's also stage time which is good experience always. Another member here who has a two-piece side project wanted to see the Horse and Groom in Derby so he sent me links to some of their tunes for me to practice with. We performed them a week later at the Open Mic before they went on with more of their set.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

If anyone is in the south of the county there are some good nights in Lichfield, two stand out in particular. My mate runs one of them, it's a bit variable on turn out but always a good night as he fills in if it's quiet. The other is busier and a good pub with appreciative crowd.

Edited by T-Bay

A late welcome to Basschat.
As mentioned above I'm in Allestree.
Being a true local yokel I know where Flaxholme is. I'm glad you're using the name, as it doesn't appear on any signs and hardly any maps anymore. I play regularly with a guitarist/singer who lives just up the A6 from you by the traffic light junction for Wirksworth. Daz Kelly.
I'm long overdue to have a meet-up with Spondonbassed, would you be interested in an evening get-together of all three (or more) of us? Maybe an open-mic or similar.

Edited by Len_derby

Yep, sounds good Len_derby.

As for the place name, last time I went on the bus - which was a couple of years ago at least - they still called it Flaxholme. Other than that there's not much mention of it any more. Both me and my OH have lived all our lives in this area and we both used to buy home made ice cream from The Oak Stores as children.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1502615506' post='3352415']
A late welcome to Basschat.
As mentioned above I'm in Allestree.
Being a true local yokel I know where Flaxholme is. I'm glad you're using the name, as it doesn't appear on any signs and hardly any maps anymore. I play regularly with a guitarist/singer who lives just up the A6 from you by the traffic light junction for Wirksworth. Daz Kelly.
I'm long overdue to have a meet-up with Spondonbassed, would you be interested in an evening get-together of all three (or more) of us? Maybe an open-mic or similar.
[/quote]

Great suggestion Len. I'm interested.