Why become a member? ×

Design your own bass

TheGreek

Had a range of feedback, both on the build thread and in PMs, regarding the Psilos build, mostly positive but I appreciate it wasn't to everybody's taste.

So if you were to engage the services of one of our many great builders what would you have built?

I've included an "other" option for the unforeseen things like a tremolo arm, etc. I think I've covered everything, let me know if there's anything I missed and need to add.

[b][u]Style[/u][/b]
Traditional or custom – (e.g. J, P, MM, SG)
No of strings -

[b][u]Woods[/u][/b]
Body (inc finish) –
Neck –
Fretboard –

[b][u]Hardware[/u][/b]
Machine heads/tuners –
Nut (material and width) –
Frets –
Pickups –
Pre-amp -
Pickguard (if any) -
Bridge –
Strings – brand, gauge and type –
Other -

Lets see if there's a consensus or whether we build a bass better than Messrs Fender, Gibson [i]et al.[/i]

[b][i]NOTE: I've amended the list to clarify what traditional style you'd choose.[/i][/b]

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1501693198' post='3346646']

[b][u]Style[/u][/b]
Traditional or custom – Stingray
No of strings - FIVE

[b][u]Woods[/u][/b]
Body (inc finish) – ASH
Neck – MAPLE
Fretboard – MAPLE

[b][u]Hardware[/u][/b]
Machine heads/tuners – CHROME
Nut (material and width) – ANY
Frets – 24
Pickups – S S H
Pre-amp - YES JOHN EAST
Pickguard (if any) - REAR ROUTED
Bridge – HI MASS
Strings – brand, gauge and type – GREEN PACKET EBMM FIVE STING SET
Other - HMMMM

[/i]
[/quote]

So a rear routed Stingray five with two extra single coil pups, nice sparkle finish like a modulus.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Style
Traditional or custom – traditional (don't really understand)
No of strings - 4

Woods
Body (inc finish) – walnut, satin
Neck – maple
Fretboard – burnt maple

Hardware
Machine heads/tuners – schaller
Nut (material and width) – bone 43mm
Frets – fat ones
Pickups – Aguilar DCB
Pre-amp - Aguilar onp3
Pickguard (if any) - none
Bridge – Schaller 2000
Strings – brand, gauge and type – ti flats
Other

great stuff

[b][u]Style[/u][/b]
Traditional or custom – Trad shape
No of strings - 4

[b][u]Woods[/u][/b]
Body (inc finish) – Ash
Neck – Graphite
Fretboard – Rosewood

[b][u]Hardware[/u][/b]
Machine heads/tuners – Chrome Hipshot
Nut (material and width) – ?
Frets – 24
Pickups – Bridge Humbucker Delano Neck Jazz Delano
Pre-amp - no
Pickguard (if any) - yes vintage cream
Bridge – Babicz ( full contact)
Strings – brand, gauge and type – Xlair nano web
Other -

Basically a sandberg body with a Zon Neck

An idea I've been kicking around mentally

[b][u]Style[/u][/b]
Traditional or custom - Precision shape
No of strings - 4

[b][u]Woods[/u][/b]
Body (inc finish) – acrylic
Neck – graphite
Fretboard – composite

[b][u]Hardware[/u][/b]
Machine heads/tuners – Hipshot ultralites
Nut (material and width) – graphite, P width
Frets – 21
Pickups – reversed G&L MFD split coil
Pre-amp - none, and no controls - pickup wired straight to the output
Pickguard (if any) - black
Bridge – Gotoh
Strings – brand, gauge and type – d'addario 45-105
Other -

I think it may sound a little agressive

[b][u]Style[/u][/b]
Traditional or custom - Traditional: Rickenbacker 4001/4003/4004
No of strings - 4

[b][u]Woods[/u][/b]
Body (inc finish) – flame maple & walnut, natural finish
Neck – maple (through neck)
Fretboard – rosewood / pau ferro / bubinga with triangle inlays

[b][u]Hardware[/u][/b]
Machine heads/tuners – Schaller
Nut (material and width) – graphite / tusq, 4003 width (approx. 43mm)
Frets – 20/21
Pickups – Ric style humbucker or single coils with RWRP wiring
Pre-amp - passive
Pickguard (if any) - none
Bridge – 2 piece
Strings – brand, gauge and type – 45-105, Stainless Steel Roundwound
Controls - 2 stacked Vol / Tone knobs, pickup selector switch

Other - Basically, a 4004, but with 4003 inlays & probably the 4003 bridge pickup mounting ring. Neck pickup to have the 4003 style 1" gap between the neck. Maybe have the "Vintage Tone" switch as well.

[b][u]Style[/u][/b]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]Gus G3 [/color][/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5-string (B E A D G)[/font][/color]

[b][u]Construction[/u][/b]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]Body and Neck: Standard Gus construction - carbon fibre exoskeleton over cedar. Metal flake orange finish with chrome for the aluminium tubes[/color][/font]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Fretboard: Carbon fibre fretless colour impregnated to match the body and neck finish. No [/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]fret lines. LED side markers in orange (yellow at the octaves) with chrome surrounds[/color][/font]

[b][u]Hardware[/u][/b]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Machine heads/tuners: Hipshot Ultralites (Y key chrome)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Nut (material and width): Graphite standard Gus G3 5-string 45mm[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Pickups: ACG MC Series (bridge and neck versions) fitted into chrome covers[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Pre-amp: ACG DFM Pre-amp, Gus Chrome knobs[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bridge: Standard Gus G3 bridge in chrome[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Schaller Strap locks in chrome[/font][/color]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]Hiscox Gus G3 hard case[/color][/font]

I don't know about the strings. I'd have to experiment and see what suited the bass but my starting point would be either Warwick Black Label or LaBella Steel.

Edited by BigRedX

I'd just buy off the shelf and spend the change on other things. If I really wanted to push the boat out, I'd get something like a Fodera. An instrument with an established name will always provide a return on the investment - today's "instrument for life" can easily end up in the classifieds because we've seen something else that tickles our fancy. Commissioning a custom build, whilst it can result in something very nice, is too personal - one man's meat is another's poison and all that - and you can struggle to sell it on for a reasonable amount should you want/need to.

Had a range of feedback, both on the build thread and in PMs, regarding the Psilos build, mostly positive but I appreciate it wasn't to everybody's taste.

So if you were to engage the services of one of our many great builders what would you have built?

I've included an "other" option for the unforeseen things like a tremolo arm, etc. I think I've covered everything, let me know if there's anything I missed and need to add.

[b][u]Style[/u][/b]
Shuker Uberhorn Fanned Fret
No of strings - 6

[b][u]Woods[/u][/b]
Body (inc finish) – Bubinga, Heat reactive paint black to white
Neck – Wenge, painted to match body
Fretboard – Maple, painted to match body. Metal inlays

[b][u]Hardware[/u][/b]
Machine heads/tuners – Black Ultralight
Nut (material and width) – Brass
Frets – 24
Pickups – Whatever Dingwall are using
Pre-amp - Whatever Dingwall are using
Pickguard (if any) - None
Bridge – Whatever Jon recommended
Strings – brand, gauge and type – Daddario Prosteels .130 B
[/quote]

I currently have this in mind:
medium scale, all maple neck, 38mm nut, 17mm spacing at bridge, proportionally downscaled Precision body, Quarter Pounder PJ pickups, Fender hardware, amber / natural nitro paint, tapewounds.

Basically a slightly smaller version of my Tony Franklin fretted P. Not sure if anyone makes anything like this, I'm sure there's been a few downscaled P bodies around.

Now that I'm on a one-in, one-out system with regards to basses, it seems to be accepted that I would only expand the armoury for a custom build. The trouble is, the actual build would probably depend heavily on whether or not I stayed with my current band! So: everything to the left of the slash is if I stay...everything to the right is if I go!

[b][u]Style[/u][/b]
Long-scale SG // Early Precision shape, i.e., more "slab" style, a bit like a Mike Dirnt or a Schecter Model T - but with a slightly longer cutaway on the treble side
Four strings in both cases.

[b][u]Woods[/u][/b]
Body (inc finish) – Mahogany "wings", either cherry red or burgundy translucent finish // Ash, either cherry red or blonde translucent finish
Neck – mahogany-walnut laminate, through-neck construction // maple, bolt-on
Fretboard – rosewood // rosewood

[b][u]Hardware[/u][/b]
Machine heads/tuners – elephant ears for my big clumsy hands / ditto
Nut (material and width) – Tusq, 1.65" // Tusq, 1.75"
Frets – 22 // 22
Pickups – Two good T-bird pickups (Lulls, perhaps?) in traditional T-bird IV positions // reversed P-pickup, either an SPB-2 or a Fender '62
Pre-amp - none // none
Controls - VVT, 3-way pickup selector // VT
Pickguard (if any) - black-white-black // black-white-black
Bridge – Hipshot Supertone // BBOT with through-body stringing
Strings – Rotosound Swing Bass Nickel-plated, 45-105 // ditto
Other - trem arm? In which case I'd reconsider those bridge choices...and maybe a Hipshot D-tuner on the fourth string.

As you can see, I'm a little indecisive...

Oooo, great fun - and dead easy for me :) ...and I'd have Jon Shuker do it.

[b][u]Style[/u][/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Traditional or custom – Traditional Thunderbird[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]No of strings - 4[/font][/color]

[b][u]Woods[/u][/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Body (inc finish) – Ash body, figured mahogany drop-top, tobacco burst gloss[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Neck – Maple, wenge stringers[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Fretboard – As highly figured birdseye maple as I could find[/font][/color]

[b][u]Hardware[/u][/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Machine heads/tuners – Hipshot Ultralites with D-Tuner[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Nut (material and width) – Brass, 1.5" Slim neck carve[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Frets – 21[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Pickups – two of those new Dingstrand Nordwells with nickel covers and rings[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Pre-amp - John East U-Retro[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Pickguard (if any) - Normal TBird[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bridge – Hipshot D Style two piece[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Strings – brand, gauge and type – D'Addario NYXL 45-105s[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Other - Dunlop straplocks[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Edit: Right, if Dood's having two, can I have a Dingbird in a traditional tobacco burst with chrome hardware? Ta. :D[/font][/color]

Edited by Muzz

Went through a hugely detailed process when Binky was made. I still firmly believe that no other bass can beat what Fred from Bee Basses made for me, though understandably 10 strings isn't for everyone! His build quality however is insane, makes Fordera look like a Squier.

So yeah, as custom dream basses go, I'm very lucky to already have mine! :)

[b][u]Style[/u][/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Traditional or custom – Custom 7 string Singlecut[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]No of strings - 7, tuned F# to C[/font][/color]

[b][u]Woods[/u][/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Body (inc finish) – Light Ash Body, [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Chameleon Flip Paint Finish (Purple to Green) over the body and all of the back of the neck and headstock topped in wet-look gloss.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Neck – 7 piece Wenge and Maple [i]semi-[/i]through neck, where the Wenge makes up a larger portion of the laminate total.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Fretboard – Master Grade Bird's Eye Maple, custom inlays[/font][/color]

[b][u]Hardware[/u][/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Machine heads/tuners – Gotoh Resolite[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Nut (material and width) – My custom Brass and Graphtec laminate.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Frets – Medium[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Pickups – EMG DC[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Pre-amp - EMG 2 band currently.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Pickguard (if any) -[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bridge – ABM Monorail[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Strings – brand, gauge and type – D'Addario NYXL or FlexSteels for the 6 string set, custom string for the 183 gauge F# string currently, though this may move to a full set soon. Newtone strings are awesome for gauges that D'Addario are unable to cover. [/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Other - . Matching Bird's Eye facing on the headstock. The body shape 'customisations' on this model became standard options in the Shuker line.[/color][/font]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Born early 2006, [url="http://www.ShukerGuitars.co.uk"]ShukerGuitars.co.uk[/url] "Doodle"[/color][/font]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][/font][/color]

[b][u]Style[/u][/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Traditional or custom – Custom 6 string Headless Doublecut [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]No of strings - 6, tuned B to C[/font][/color]

[b][u]Woods[/u][/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Body (inc finish) – Light Ash Body, [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Chameleon Flip Paint Finish (Purple to Green) over the body and all of the back of the neck, topped in wet-look gloss.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Neck – 7 piece Wenge and Maple NeckThrough, where the Wenge makes up a larger portion of the laminate total.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Fretboard – Master Grade Bird's Eye Maple, custom inlays to match my 7 string.[/font][/color]

[b][u]Hardware[/u][/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Machine heads/tuners – ABM Monorail bridge pieces[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Nut (material and width) – Custom Brass head piece.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Frets – Medium[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Pickups – EMG DC[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Pre-amp - EMG 2 band currently.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Pickguard (if any) -[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bridge – as above[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Strings – brand, gauge and type – D'Addario NYXL or FlexSteels 6 string set.[/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Other - The body shape 'customisations' on this model became standard options in the Shuker line. Custom adjustable ramp on both this and 7 string bass. LED inlays, a surprise gift from Jon Shuker!!![/color][/font]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Born early 2007, "Baby Doodle" - or 'Sally', as Rich calls this one :) Chameleon Flip Paint in action:[/font][/color]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"][/color][/font]

I don't need to worry about this anymore. My dream bass is my current (and forever) TRB5PII wich could have only two (impossible) mods: It could be way lighter and it could have some kind of magic active/passive switch that not only bypassed the preamp as also the active pickups...

These days, whenever i'm looking to get another bass i just make sure it has this stamped on the headsotck:

:)

[b][u]Style[/u][/b]
Traditional or custom – traditional, Jazz-style
No of strings - 5, low B tuned

[b][u]Woods[/u][/b]
Body (inc finish) – English White Ash Body, burr poplar 'drop top' facing, finished in a satin tobacco sunburst.
Neck – 7 piece Wenge, maple and flamed maple neck. Profile copied from my old Yamaha RBX765A.
Fretboard – Master Grade Bird's Eye Maple, no front dots. Orange side LEDs.

[b][u]Hardware[/u][/b]
Machine heads/tuners – Hipshot Ultralite
Nut (material and width) – brass
Frets – 24
Pickups – Originally EMG TW, now fitted with Delano SBC quad coil
Pre-amp - Shuker 3-band with coil taps
Pickguard (if any) - n/a
Bridge – ABM Monorail, 19mm spacing
Strings – brand, gauge and type – Elixir 45-130
Other - Matching burr poplar front/back facings on the headstock. Adjustable ramp between pickups. Hand turned ebony control knobs.

Born March 2007, [url="http://www.ShukerGuitars.co.uk"]ShukerGuitars.co.uk[/url]

Annoyingly GAS free at the moment, but...

[b][u]Style[/u][/b]
Traditional or custom – Sort of Traditional - Ripper/Grabber
No of strings - 5

[b][u]Woods[/u][/b]
Body (inc finish) – Basswood - Painted finish, not sure what colour
Neck – Maple with Graphite rods
Fretboard – Ebony

[b][u]Hardware[/u][/b]
Machine heads/tuners – Hipshot
Nut (material and width) – Not sure
Frets – Yes, this time!
Pickups – Nordstrand Big Singles or Fat Stacks
Pre-amp - No
Pickguard (if any) - Big lump of black plastic
Bridge – Hipshot
Strings – brand, gauge and type – Bit of experimenting here - definitely roundwound, possibly nickel
Other - Schaller Straplocks, Neutrick or Switchcraft jack socket. Built by Jon Shuker!

[/quote]

Edited by Mykesbass

However, in terms of a fantasy build...

[b][u]Style[/u][/b]
Traditional or custom – custom double cut, but with a kick-tail á la Zon Legacy
No of strings - 5, low B tuned

[b][u]Woods[/u][/b]
Body (inc finish) – English White Ash Body, spalted facings front and rear, gloss lacquer finish
Neck – Maple, wenge and and flamed maple.
Fretboard – Bird's Eye Maple, no front dots. Purple side LEDs.

[b][u]Hardware[/u][/b]
Machine heads/tuners – Hipshot Ultralite
Nut (material and width) – brass
Frets – 24 plus zero
Pickups – 2× Wal multi coil (told you it was fantasy stuff!) plus built in Roland GK3B
Pre-amp - Wal custom plus built in Roland GK3B bits
Pickguard (if any) - n/a
Bridge – Monorails with piezos
Strings – brand, gauge and type – Elixir 45-130
Other - Matching spalted front/back facings on the headstock. Adjustable ramp between pickups.