Why become a member? ×

Switching between fingerstyle and pick

TomRandles97

When switching between using a pick and fingers during a set, how can I keep a consistent volume? I've noticed a drop in volume when switching to a pick, which I suppose make sense due to the inherent characteristics of the two different styles, but it's still inconvenient. Compressor? EQ? Boost pedal?
If anyone can give me some input before I splash the cash, that'd be grand

[quote name='TomRandles97' timestamp='1501706835' post='3346838']
When switching between using a pick and fingers during a set, how can I keep a consistent volume? I've noticed a drop in volume when switching to a pick, which I suppose make sense due to the inherent characteristics of the two different styles, but it's still inconvenient. Compressor? EQ? Boost pedal?
If anyone can give me some input before I splash the cash, that'd be grand
[/quote]

I have this issue but the other way around - I'm far louder with the pick. I make use of the active/passive switch on my head but obviously if you don't have one...... 🤔

Someone with a little more knowledge will come along im sure, but a compressor seems like a good choice. It will level out everything.

Other than that, just use your ears and your hands. Those are your best effects imo.

Edited by bubinga5

I'm generally louder with a pick, but I like a 3mm pick. To balance it, I palm mute a touch and just generally try to play with a lighter touch. If you're quieter with a pick, try using a heavier gauge and playing a bit harder. Otherwise, a bit of a boost on the EQ if using an active bass?

All the above are good choices, it's difficult as some songs just lend themselves to either style.
If you can't do it via compression or simple vol turn on your bass then I may have a boost pedal spare if you want.

Volume knob is probably your best bet cheapest bet, after all guitarist do it for solo's, so just set up your ampnwith it rolled off for your loudest modality and then crank it.

If you get your technique down to show no difference eventually then you have spent no money

On my P bass I use finger or a pick for the sound they give so I want the difference. I don't find the volume really changes for me, just the tone and attack. For a driving rock song or if I want the bass to just out of the mix the pick does the trick.
But if you do need to adjust the volume then an eq, compressor or clean boost such as the MXR micro amp would work. If you use a compressor be careful not to over compress, unless that's the sound you want.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1501707972' post='3346855']
Someone with a little more knowledge will come along im sure, but a compressor seems like a good choice. It will level out everything.

Other than that, just use your ears and your hands. Those are your best effects imo.
[/quote]

This ^.

Left to my own devices, I sound louder with a pick but that's partly because I have so much more attack and I'm therefore more audible. Whether or not I'm actually "louder" is debatable.

I've just joined a new band where I have to switch from fingerstyle to pick and back again repeatedly within each set. For the first time in years, I'm running through an always-on compressor pedal, which I'm using as much as a Limiter as a Compressor.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1501749489' post='3347021']
An EQ pedal will also give you volume control and a way to redress any severe tonal differences (say, a very deep finger tone which dissapears with a plectrum for some reason, like on my T-bird!).
[/quote]

This is pretty much the problem I'm having. The deeper tone disappears when I switch to playing with a pick (which I suppose is natural) but I find I drop way down in the mix.

Thanks everyone, I think I'll spend some time working on my technique and see if that makes much difference. I've also got a couple of different pick sizes so I'll experiment with that too.

As others have said, due to all the variables with my bass, hands etc it's probably just going to be a case of trial and error.

Rather than pick [i][b]sizes[/b][/i], I find it's pick [i][b]hardness [/b][/i]that makes the biggest difference.

I always use picks made of Delrin and I have two types - similar but different. Switching from the orange (thicker) to the red (thinner) has a surprising amount of impact on my sound and my playing style.

Tom

It's a great journey, I now play mainly pick, because I injured my knuckle on my first index finger playing rugby (it's fine no need for violins) but it just gets tired playing for a long time.

What I am trying to do is learn to do either style without dropping the pick, or incorporate the two.
I can just about use my middle finger in a co-ordinated fashion and go 1 finger james Hamer son, but I am trying to train the ring finger as well so I have this option, although I am not slapping I can pick and pop.

Not a lot different to the geetar chicken picker players you see out there.

If it's that noticeable (which I don't think it is with me) how about you do the old school thing of just rolling the volume back on your bass a bit when you need? As has been said where you play and attack is maybe also something you might want to check

I'm generally louder with a pick too. Or is it that in certain songs, pick playing means some frequencies cut through better?
But I just tend to use my ears to judge, and tweak the volume control on the bass to suit....

Helps if you can sound check both options too

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1501752972' post='3347074']
Rather than pick [i][b]sizes[/b][/i], I find it's pick [i][b]hardness [/b][/i]that makes the biggest difference.

I always use picks made of Delrin and I have two types - similar but different. Switching from the orange (thicker) to the red (thinner) has a surprising amount of impact on my sound and my playing style.
[/quote]

^ This

Try experimenting with different picks, even picks of the same thickness, but made of different materials, like nylon (flexible) or wood/metal (not flexible).

When I played with a pick, I always preferred a softer material, as they gave a slightly softer attack on the strings. Well, I liked it anyway. Just play fingerstyle these days, sounds far better to my ears.

To even out volume I would suggest a compressor or maybe a bit of EQ to adjust certain frequencies in either of the styles that you play.

A pick takes away some low end from your tone but gives you more mids and attack in the high end spectrum, fingers normally tend to roll off highs and give you a rounder tone. At least that is the way I have always felt it.

As others have mentioned before, check other pick choices and see what works out for you as it will make a massive difference in sound. I find that even a simple switch between Tortex 0.60 and Tortex 0.73 my tone characteristics alter drastically and affect on how I approach my playing and that is in the same model, the moment you move across series and manufactures things get very interesting.

I only rarely use a pick, and when I do it is way quieter. I'm going to suggest something completely different to all the above. You are, like me, probably playing too hard fingers style. I dig in big time. I know I'm not supposed to, have read up on the theory, and have even practiced turning up and playing more gently. I just can't stick to it, and quickly get back to digging in.