Why become a member? ×

NBD Ibanez BTB 1805 content

Pinball

After three different trips to PMT Bristol I decided that I must have an Ibanex BTB 1805 today. I like everything about it. The 2017 BTB's have more sculpting, which makes them feel great both sitting and standing up. It is surprisingly lightweight too and the neck and action are a dream.
It looks like this:
[attachment=250438:BTB1805_NTL_1P_01_CU_Body_Top.jpg]

The Aguiliar pickups give iot a really growly tone all of it's own and it is outstandingly consistant across the strings in terms of sound...it also sounds eually good passive or active.

I tried lots of others e.g. Sandbergs, Fenders and other Ibanez's but after much thought I couldn't really think of anything that I would rather have so snapped it up today.

When I first played it it was like a breath of fresh air. I felt like this guy when he tries it around 9min 30 secs in. It's a very refined sound IMHO, just what I want for recording.
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4u81uannrQ"]https://www.youtube....h?v=o4u81uannrQ[/url]

It is only my 2nd ever new bass and I couldn't be happier. Check one out if you get the chance.

Edited by Pinball

Glad you're enjoying your new bass! I've liked the look of the 2017 Ibanez BTBs since they were unveiled. The extra sculpting makes an already handsome bass shape even nicer IMO. I did wonder how the move to Aguilar pickups would compare to the Nordstrand pickups in the previous generation Premiums...

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1501718427' post='3346918']
Glad you're enjoying your new bass! I've liked the look of the 2017 Ibanez BTBs since they were unveiled. The extra sculpting makes an already handsome bass shape even nicer IMO. I did wonder how the move to Aguilar pickups would compare to the Nordstrand pickups in the previous generation Premiums...
[/quote]

They are totally different beasts. I tried it side by side with an SR with Nordstrands and much preferred the BTB sound. Nords sound very modern to my ear where as this is more of a growly beast, It sounds great played passive or with flat EQ that can then be tweaked as much as you like. The electronic package is something special and very usable IMHO
Note: I always preferred the highend Barts on the Japanese Ibanez my self and rate an ols SR3005 as one of the best basses I have ever owned/played. The BTB is a different sound again and the bass is very responsive to the way I play. I have yet to try this live but bought it primarily to record with so the sound is all important to me.

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1501722930' post='3346927']
I love the contrasting woods. Is it really light, I was always under the impression they were heavy.
[/quote]

Not this one, I'm not sure what "really light" is but it feels lightweight for what is quite a large guitar. I notice in the video at the top the guys weigh theirs in at about 9.7 lbs. This one feels even lighter although I suspect that is due to the weight combined with good balance handing. I was very wary about going back to a 35 inch scale bass but I found it really comfortable to hold and play both when sitting and standing. It feels right for me
I remember picking up one of the older BTB's a few years back and quickly putting it down again. It was an uncomfortable big heavy slab of wood. This is a heavily refined bass that oozes class. Terrific value for money.

Edited by Pinball