Why become a member? ×

How good is your hearing?

ambient

I've just got weird hearing - super sensitive to the point where it can easily become overwhelmed. It's great for recording and mixing because I can pick out all the little details but useless when walking around Toys'r'us on a Saturday afternoon. I've had all sorts of tests on my hearing because this can also affect my balance but basically it's just a peculiar "feature" of my particular hearing and I have learnt to put up with it.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1502132880' post='3349525']
Or the alternative title, How Good are Your Speakers.
[/quote]

Very good point, on my laptops speakers I get a hearing age of 60+, when using my extension speakers I get a hearing age of 30 - 40, which isn`t bad as I`m 51.

And seeing as in the last 2 weeks I`ve done a 4 consecutive night tour (hour long sets), then played at a 4-day punk festival, I`m quite pleased with this as my hearing has rather taken a battering recently.

Using a signal generator on my iPad, my ears can detect up to 12kHz (left) and 10kHz (right). But when I listen to music on my rather good stereo (Kenwood amp, Mission speakers) I can't tell that here's anything missing, so I guess the brain adapts pretty effectively.

I've been using hearing protection when performing/rehearsing for quite a few years now, but I obviously didn't start soon enough!

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1502436930' post='3351359']
30 to 40 what a load of bollocks I know I'm deaf this is a far better test, mimics what audiologist use
https://hearingtest.online/
[/quote]
Far, far better DIY test!
Well done for posting that Paul.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1502436930' post='3351359']...this is a far better test, mimics what audiologist use...
[/quote]

Indeed, far more accurate. Here's my result (Yes, I know; I'm deaf :blush: ...)...

Far from the 'Under 25' that the other rubbish test gave. Jokers..! <_<

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1502448325' post='3351496']
Indeed, far more accurate. Here's my result (Yes, I know; I'm deaf :blush: ...)...

Far from the 'Under 25' that the other rubbish test gave. Jokers..! <_<
[/quote]hey congratulations I do believe you're deafer than me, I too have the fall off a cliff at 4K but goes back up for 8K :rolleyes:

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1502451951' post='3351542']
hey congratulations I do believe you're deafer than me, I too have the fall off a cliff at 4K but goes back up for 8K :rolleyes:
[/quote]

[size=5] [/size][size=5]25 to 3, but it might rain. Take a brolly. :mellow:[/size]

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1502490997' post='3351880']
That's why you moved to france then? No need to understand anyone anyway?

Rocking circumaural acoustic enhancement devices?
[/quote]

[size=5]Yes, it's turned out nice again.[/size] :mellow: