Why become a member? ×

How good is your hearing?

ambient

I found this quite good.

I have the hearing of someone under 25.

I do, and always have looked after my hearing though. I try and protect it, avoiding loud noises etc. I've always worn earplugs at gigs and when playing with bands, and I've refused in the past to rehearse with bands that rehearse too loudly.

[url="http://www.classicfm.com/lifestyle/quizzes/how-good-is-your-hearing/?cmpid=classic.email.newsletter.03-08-17.-.crm.londonandsouth&cmp=EMC-SAIL&utm_campaign=playbuzz&pb_traffic_source=facebook&utm_source=facebook"]http://www.classicfm.com/lifestyle/quizzes/how-good-is-your-hearing/?cmpid=classic.email.newsletter.03-08-17.-.crm.londonandsouth&cmp=EMC-SAIL&utm_campaign=playbuzz&pb_traffic_source=facebook&utm_source=facebook[/url]

I think smell has a lot to do with it, if it smells good then it probably is.
Appearance has to be fairly high on the list but I feel not as important as smell.

Sorry, what's that?

Oh, I thought you said "How food is appealing"

:D

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1501778620' post='3347326']
I think smell has a lot to do with it, if it smells good then it probably is.
Appearance has to be fairly high on the list but I feel not as important as smell.

Sorry, what's that?

Oh, I thought you said "How food is appealing"

:D
[/quote]

Hahahaha! :laugh1:

I couldn't hear the 1st one and lost one at 12kHz, funnily enough I got those after apart from the very last one. I have some high frequency tinnitus..and now I know what the frequency is lol
Not bad for 57, although having worked for many years on the railway, I am used to wearing earplugs, so I guess that has helped. mine was 20-30

Quite definitely a duff site and a rotten test. It gave me a result of 'Under 25'..! I'll turn 67 in a few days (no cards, please, just postal orders...) and the tests that were done before I retired showed up what I already knew: very severe deafness, above that normal for my age..! My ears are 'shot' (a technical term...), as can be witnessed by those listening to my mixes for the Basschat Composition Challenge. Under 25..? Don't make me laff ('cos it hurts...)..! Rubbish, I say; rubbish.

61 in ear age,71 in real(?)life.Hmmmm....I wonder how accurate the test is.
I guess all those years of playing in bands,blacksmithing(anvils are loud),chainsaws, lawnmowers and power tools are really getting to me.Maybe I should get rid of everything but the music from now on and save what I have left.

Edited by Staggering on

Any hearing test online is meaningless unless it is ran through properly calibrated equipment - Laptop speakers, hifi speakers and even studio monitors are not, so I'd take any result from the test with a pinch of salt. Then ignore them completely :)

p.s. - I went in to a well known chain store recently who offered a free 'taster' hearing test which they ran in a building, next to a busy set of bus stops and the test gear was a set of DT770's! - I mean, they are great earphones, but not surprisingly the results were way off.

I was listening to it on my phone, it can't even produce half those frequencies!
Without calibration the test is worthless.
Gave me 20-30 btw, I'm 41 with healthy tinnitus. My hearing is more like a 55 year old would typically have, I know this because I test patient's hearing for the ENT and Audiologist in hospital.

20-30 at age 44 - the problem I'm finding with my hearing (despite being mostly careful over the years) is hearing conversations when there's background noise - particularly female voices... though I've read somewhere that this is somewhat normal - as blokes get older they can't hear their wives/girlfriends so well, and vice versa... make of that what you will.

Edited by anzoid

Low frequencies, not good.

Sometime I can't hear the young ladies(baristas)at Starbucks when they take my order.

The few opportunities I get to have a verbal exchange with a young attractive woman and all I can come up with is;

"huh ?"

Blue

Edited by blue

On a serious note, and to be really dull. . . . I don't believe how many of us are still playing Russian roulette (with a fully loaded gun) with our hearing.

For anyone who doesn't like the sound of what they hear through ear plugs. . . guess what. . . that's better than you're going to hear normally if you carry on without hearing protection.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1501836114' post='3347628']
On a serious note, and to be really dull. . . . I don't believe how many of us are still playing Russian roulette (with a fully loaded gun) with our hearing.

For anyone who doesn't like the sound of what they hear through ear plugs. . . guess what. . . that's better than you're going to hear normally if you carry on without hearing protection.
[/quote]

Quite.

It's obviously not meant to be an accurate hearing test, it's a bit of fun, it does say 'lets play'.

I think what it does hopefully demonstrate though, especially if you're younger and maybe struggling to hear the higher frequencies that you should maybe think about hearing protection.