Why become a member? ×

P bass pickup.

tom1946

Thanks all for your comments, much appreciated. It seems to depend on the individual ear, I'm going a bit deaf these days :lol: maybe that's the problem.

Ok fitted the tonerider with a spare KiOgon (what does that name mean John?) loom that I had, I found it to be low on output, I had to up my amp gain and volume to get even a moderate sound from it.
The tone is fine, it has clear lows and highs but some of that may be down to John's tone pot. I'm no expert but I know what I like and POWWWEEERRR is one of them. Not that I use massive power but in my experience the more output there is, the better the sound.

Not a waste of money but I will be changing it, maybe a DP127 as recommended above.

Cut the messing about and get the DP127 - you will not regret it I'm sure. They p155 rings around the SDs IMHO. If you've found them both about the same price it's no contest :happy:

Edit: Ki pronounced key is Japanese for Yellow and Ogon is a single coloured Koi, so simply 'Yellow Koi'.
I have kept Koi since about 1975, when they were very few and far between in this country and the Yamabuki name taken from the Flower in Japan '[i][b]Kerria japonica'[/b][/i] (abbreviated to Ki), has always been my personal favourite Koi, almost impossible to find a perfect example.

It's been my nickname for years and the reg. no. on my car; KI0GON :)

[url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerria_japonica"]https://en.wikipedia...Kerria_japonica[/url]
[url="https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=yamabuki+ogon&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiXkcKd3uPVAhVDC8AKHYT3BLUQsAQIJQ&biw=1680&bih=917#imgrc=V4kobqYBCYfRYM:"]https://www.google.c...V4kobqYBCYfRYM:[/url]

Cheerz, John

Edited by KiOgon

Another vote for the DiMarzio Model P here, has serious balls and great tone. I took one out of my old Precision and sold it, replaced with a Wizard Trad as I wanted a more vintage tone. The Wizard sounded great, but wasn't anywhere near as exciting as the Model P!

P.s Just to note though, that aside from the above '81 P (which I never should have sold!), my problem with previous P Basses ('73 and '69) was always the E string being louder than / overpowering the others, even with drastic pick up slant...Interesting that you should have the opposite problem!

Edited by bakerster135

Hmm, thanks for that John, and the koi explanation. I never would have guessed that :happy:

Ok I'm going with the Dimarzio dp127, it's more the top and bottom end for me but thanks for the info. Seems to be a lot of lurv for them here. Thanks to everyone else for their thoughts, it's been very helpful.

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1503171627' post='3356253']
Hmm, thanks for that John, and the koi explanation. I never would have guessed that :happy:

Ok I'm going with the Dimarzio dp127, it's more the top and bottom end for me but thanks for the info. Seems to be a lot of lurv for them here. Thanks to everyone else for their thoughts, it's been very helpful.
[/quote]

Relating to your preferences, i guess i went right with the Tonriders, as i am looking for a more warm and round Vintage Tone. @Your Issue with the Output.... I will see...DC Resistance is 10.6K on the Toneriders and 10.5K on the Fender Pu's ( Original P-Pass & 62CS) wich I like....

Edit: DiMarzio DP127 ...19.16K... :blink:

Edited by AREA

I don't look at things like DC resistance, it's either loud enough or not. Maybe I have a duff Tonerider? My practice amp is a Fender rumble 100w and the volume and gain are almost half way to fill a small music room. The bass previously had a 'duncan designed' pickup from a squier and that was louder by a good margin.

I'll check the resistance when it comes out to see if it's right, or not.

• 1 month later...

Update:

As I've buildt in the Tonerider Pickups in my P-Bass Project now, i have to say i like them a lot. Very vintage sounding. Pretty much as i wanted it. Reminds me of the SD Antiquity PUs.
Of Course, if you're more after a modern sounding Pickup the SD Quarterpunder would be better. Price/Value is absolutely great on these Tonerider Pu's.

my 2ct.

Well after a couple of weeks playing around with the DiMarzio I'm quite liking it, power by the shovelful and the tone is soulful to me at moderate volumes.
To me it's like have a 10 watt hifi, you have to turn it up quite high to get good volume but in doing that you are stretching its sound capabilities a lot whereas a 100w will give you a better low volume sound and have punch too.
I know what I'm trying to say...... :lol:

Jose, I'm loving your purple J, P bass and I'm looking at funds... :unsure: