Why become a member? ×

NOBD - one that I should never have sold.

TheGreek

About 3 years ago I sold my custom Overwater Jazz bass to Ben in France.

Even as I was doing the deal I knew that I shouldn't sell it but he'd driven all the way from Northern France to collect it and I couldn't bring myself to go back on the deal. First transaction went smooth, Ben was happy with the Bass and took it off. I was suffering sellers remorse but had "too many" basses (5 IIRC) so something had to go.

One of my friends was a big fan of the bass, couldn't believe that I'd sold it and we'd often talk about it like "[i]the one that got away[/i]". I thought I'd never see it again, after all there can't be that many Overwaters in France and if Ben needed to sell it he would surely find a buyer there. As I said, didn't think I'd ever see it again.

Flicking through the "for sale" thread recently ([i]as we do[/i]) I spied an ad for an Overwater Jazz - "[i]interesting.[/i]." I thought and opened the thread to be greeted by photos of a green Jazz - could it be?? surely not! Imagine my surprise when, while reading the ad, I see my username as the previous owner. Quick PM to Ben and the ball is rolling for me to get it back.

At times like this logic goes out of the window - OK, what can I sell to get the money to buy the Overwater back? Now I do tend to hoard a little ;) ;) so there was no shortage of gear, but what?

Two "quick sale required" ads later and I have the required pennies/Euros to buy the Overwater. TBH I didn't expect to sell the two items as quickly as I did, I'd clearly under-priced both but since I hadn't really had the chance to bond with either, [i]needs must[/i].

Next followed a hectic week of packing, arranging deals and couriers to get the sold items off to their new homes - biggest headache is always "[i]did the items arrive safely[/i]", fortunately they all did.

Cash transferred to Ben, he arranges a courier ([i]whose docs are all in French[/i]) and we're raring to go...anxiety levels up to 11, and regular ([i]every 2 hours or so[/i]) visits to their website ([i]in French remember[/i]) for updates on tracking the parcel....

Bass arrives today at lunchtime - I have things I can't avoid doing so playing it isn't an option - so bass in rack, off I go with Shalla to do what must be done ([i]visit my sister[/i]).

The Overwater is still as pristine as when I sold it to him except for a small knock it acquired during a would be trade he'd already told me about. I'd forgotten what a beautiful shade of trans green it is.

At this point I know readers will be heading for the " :useless:" emo but taking photos is the last thing on my mind.

In fact I'm torn - remember that Andy built me the Psilos bass and delivered it recently? I've fallen in love with this and after playing something that weighs just over 7lb the Overwater's 9.5lb (IIRC) feels ludicrously heavy.

So I'm going to grab a bite to eat, then lock myself away from the world and play my new child and the prodigal son....

Many Thanks to Ben for reuniting me with lost child...

I was playing this earlier....you know sometimes things were better when you reminisced?

This isn't....plays like a dream...lovely low action, sleek and silky neck, admittedly heavier than the Psilos Bass but then so is Helium. Like meeting your first school girl friend again after years apart.... :gas: :gas: