Why become a member? ×

Learning scales at last

bonzodog

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1502034099' post='3348866']
Your thoughts are well placed, especially if you've been playing and you haven't had to use theory yet. With a good teacher, something of a rarity, the concepts become easier to understand. As I said it's all about the context as well. [b]It's worthwhile learning the theory in something you already know[/b], then branching out to a song you've always wanted to learn. I was fortunate enough to study this stuff at Uni and college where I had some amazing teachers, especially my lecturer at college. He really lit the fire of understanding and wanting to be "clever" in music in me, and since then I've gone ahead and taught myself an awful amount, building from my basic knowledge through books and songs.
[/quote]

I meant to quote this point too. Again, totally agree. In our formative years learning how to speak, it wasn't from a book, it wasn't from a formal lesson, we picked up language from those around us and manipulated those familiar phrases to get what we needed. Learning a song and extracting the theory from it I suppose works the same way.

A while ago, one of my students called me up after a drive home from work one day and told me about a song that came on the radio. He asked if the track's main riff used the Minor Pentatonic scale. I wasn't familiar with the song myself but yes, indeed it did. He was able to identify that in a relatively early lesson because we had 'reverse engineered' a song, extracted, then learned all about said scale in and out of that context.

oh and yes, I also like that you have mentioned that learning doesn't stop just because you have learned something. That's what I really love - you can learn something new from everyone, even if they have never picked up the instrument before. Indeed, they can be the most interesting to teach!

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1501956235' post='3348494']
Agreed. A slow blues is one of the hardest things to play.
[/quote]

I HATE bass players who insist on going "ger-DIT ger-DIT" along with the guitar player on slow blues. Walk it smooth and it sets off the guitarists chug perfectly.
Not saying do that to the exclusion of everything else though....

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1502091864' post='3349162']
I HATE bass players who insist on going "ger-DIT ger-DIT" along with the guitar player on slow blues. Walk it smooth and it sets off the guitarists chug perfectly.
Not saying do that to the exclusion of everything else though....
[/quote]

When I mentioned "slow blues" this is what I was what I had in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2FR1HYod44

Learning scales is great, I always suggest [b]not[/b] playing them in a linear 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 way though. For instance, if you're practicing C major, start with your open E string, then, F, then G etc, and work your way all along the fretboard as high as you can go. That way it's the scale that you're playing, not a series of notes in a pattern.

This also helps with improving your knowledge of the fretboard.

It's good too, to see how bass lines are devolved from scales, examine a bass line you can play, and see how it's constructed.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1501924966' post='3348227']
If you are having fun and enjoying yourself..best of luck to you. :) It will certainly help with ear training. However, while there is no doubt that scales are important, IMO it would be more beneficial to concentrate on chord tones, as this is what the bassist plays 90% of the time. Learn how chords are derived from scales and how to harmonise the major scale. This, IMO would be better than playing modes, which are generally left until the basics are under the belt.

Check out this lesson from "Studybass".

https://www.studybass.com/lessons/bass-chord-patterns/chord-tones-are-primary/
[/quote]

I would also recommend the OP look into learning chord tones as it'll give you a full system of familiarity with the notes on the fretboard, as well as an understandable way of applying what you learn to music. Scales are great fun, but knowing how and where to apply something other than a major or minor scale can be tricky. But, most importantly, keep experimenting and find out what appeal to your ear.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1502212596' post='3350045']
Some great tips thanks. Will look at the chord tones too.
[/quote]

Even if you are not really into jazz, learning walking bass lines is an interesting and fun way to get to grips with chord tones. In the link below, Dave Marks gives a series of lessons starting with the basics and working up.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dave+marks+walking+bass+lesson