Why become a member? ×

What 6 string bass under 400

Elfrasho

I'm thinking about going back to a 6 string. I had an Ibanez one for a while as my main bass but got rid as it it didn't really fit the image of the band I was in at the time.

So what is worth checking out? I'm not a brand snob at all. I'd prefer a thin and small neck. Dont mind it having a small string width. And I don't want a pointy body.

But apart from that I'm easy... what have you all got?

https://www.thomann.de/uk/harley_benton_bz_6000_nt.htm

https://www.thomann.de/uk/ibanez_gsr206b_wnf.htm

If you can handle the 35" scale I would go for the Harley Benton- it sounds really good (sometimes a bit heavy). If you are in for a 34" scale bass, I would go for the Ibanez. It does not have as much character as the Harley Benton but it is still a good bass.

I had a Brice Six string years back and didn't get on with it. They're very cheap and you can get some interesting designs but I found them lacking in almost every respect. The body was far too thick and heavy, the neck was not easy to get around and the overall quality of components was not up to standard. The issues with the body meant it wasn't a candidate for upgrades. I would personally avoid these, though in the years that have passed (ten maybe?) I would hope they have improved somewhat. It hasn't put me off six strings but I would definitely want a good trial with one before buying, considering I am not used to six strings.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1502139732' post='3349598']
S/h Aria pro 11 six string.

Cheap, reliable, sound good and easy to play with a 34" scale and 17mm at the bridge
[/quote]

Doesn't seem to be to many about but I'll certainly keep an eye out

[quote name='DangerDan' timestamp='1502183583' post='3349758']
I have the ibanez that BaconCheese mentioned. Its my first 6er, its very comfortable and light, its a joy to play. Not a massively versatile pre amp, but it just so happens that the sound it does make is kind of the one i like. Would recommend.
[/quote]

It'll be likely what I go for in the end bit it's good to hear another opinion on it