Why become a member? ×

Yesterday I played pure cheesey tunes as a dep (loved it)

police squad

As the title says,
I played at an outdoor charity thing yesterday, depping with a band that prides itself on cheesey party tunes.
The Mavericks, Billy Ray Cyrus, Greased Lightning, summer of 69,

Simply the most fun I've had in ages. It was my kind of band. They totally accept artistic integrity goes out of the window. They know the job is to entertain the masses and have fun doing it.

Anyone else managed to have this much fun lately?

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1502095782' post='3349204']
...Simply the most fun I've had in ages. It was my kind of band. They totally accept artistic integrity goes out of the window. They know the job is to entertain the masses and have fun doing it.

[/quote]

No.

Very happy for you just the same.

"cheesey party tunes" has kept food on my table for the last 30 years.
next week al be having pudding also :D

I Wish i could say the same for the music i love which i also play.

One pays for the other, i have to play stuff some of it i would not even listen too to fund my love of the other.
yin yang.
Perfect.

Edited by funkgod

Anyone else managed to have this much fun lately?[/quote]

Every time I gig.

I don't care about someone else's definition of good or bad songs and I don't care who wrote them. If the band played well (and so did I) and the audience loved it then you can't ask for more.

I usually inhabit "old fashioned" music so a recent discovery for me was to find out how good the songs of artists like Jessie J and Beyonce actually are to play and the positive audience reaction you get when you play these songs.

Nothing wrong with that, I've done it for 40 years!
Playing music that people obviously enjoy / dance to is still what it's all about for me. And believe
it or not, I do play / listen to some of it when at home too! Never bothered about confessing my
love of good pop music - just because it's popular doesn't make it sh*te in my opinion.
I did a birthday barbecue on Saturday night - about 50 people in total, all up dancing to
'Sweet Home Alabama' etc etc - happy days.

Every weekend for me too.

currently playing in the best band I've ever been in with 4 amazing human beings as well as great musicians. We're playing weddings most weekends and last night we played Wannabe by the Spice Girls. A first for us all as we hadn't played or even rehearsed it before but that's part of being in a wedding band, playing what the audience want to hear (within reason)

Saturday night I found myself jumping up and down on stage along with the audience when we played Mr Brightside.

Life is good :)

When I was (much) younger I wrote and played in an originals band - all very serious, next big thing, etc. Now, however, my gigs are limited to occasional one-off gigs for weddings of friends and their friends, and that sort of thing, playing in a band with a set comprised entirely of 80s covers. Whilst trying to conquer the world as the "next big thing" in my youth seemed like fun at the time, I am having a lot more fun this time around.

Edited by darkandrew

I played a wedding gig with some friends of mine last week - mostly Everley Brothers stuff. I didn't realise there is was so much more to them than 'Cathy's Clown' Songs like 'Claudette', 'Be Bop a Lula', 'Leave my Woman Alone' and (my favourite) 'Rip it Up' had everyone up in the dance floor. Huge fun.

As the title says,
I played at an outdoor charity thing yesterday, depping with a band that prides itself on cheesey party tunes.
The Mavericks, Billy Ray Cyrus, Greased Lightning, summer of 69,

Simply the most fun I've had in ages. It was my kind of band. They totally accept artistic integrity goes out of the window. They know the job is to entertain the masses and have fun doing it.

[/quote]

It's all about attitude. Every gig I play I make sure I have a blast.

It's about having fun and not taking yourself or your band to seriously. We're not that important.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1502149763' post='3349656']

It's about having fun and not taking yourself or your band to seriously. We're not that important.

Blue
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more!! All we are is dust in the wind, after all.

Well said all these chaps!!!! I completely agree that you can't beat playing to a crowd who are loving it. And like others have said, one man's cheese is another man's beef steak. Some of my favourite tunes (to listen to) are officially "cheesy"!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1502097599' post='3349230']
Every time I gig.

I don't care about someone else's definition of good or bad songs and I don't care who wrote them. If the band played well (and so did I) and the audience loved it then you can't ask for more.

I usually inhabit "old fashioned" music so a recent discovery for me was to find out how good the songs of artists like Jessie J and Beyonce actually are to play and the positive audience reaction you get when you play these songs.
[/quote]
[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1502097784' post='3349233']
Nothing wrong with that, I've done it for 40 years!
Playing music that people obviously enjoy / dance to is still what it's all about for me. And believe
it or not, I do play / listen to some of it when at home too! Never bothered about confessing my
love of good pop music - just because it's popular doesn't make it sh*te in my opinion.
I did a birthday barbecue on Saturday night - about 50 people in total, all up dancing to
'Sweet Home Alabama' etc etc - happy days.
[/quote]
[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1502116804' post='3349387']
Every weekend for me too.

currently playing in the best band I've ever been in with 4 amazing human beings as well as great musicians. We're playing weddings most weekends and last night we played Wannabe by the Spice Girls. A first for us all as we hadn't played or even rehearsed it before but that's part of being in a wedding band, playing what the audience want to hear (within reason)

Saturday night I found myself jumping up and down on stage along with the audience when we played Mr Brightside.

Life is good :)
[/quote]
[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1502117207' post='3349392']
great stuff!

cant beat it when everyone has a great time!
[/quote]

I'm lined up to do something very similar to the OP, a wedding gig in November covering for a bassist who's retired ( I wasn't aware that this was an actual thing!) since the booking was made. The tentative set list as agreed with the singer/guitarist is as follows: -

Summer of 69
My Sharona
Walking on Sunshine
Johnny B. Goode
Caroline
So Lonely
2-4-6-8 Motorway
London Calling
Get It On
Girls Talk
All Right Now

'You want that with extra cheese sir?' Abso-flippin'-lutely!!

:D

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1502097599' post='3349230']
Every time I gig.

[/quote]

This. We added a Shawn Mendes tune to the setlist the other day, and I've got socks older than him, but it's a great tune, people like it, and they get up and dance to it. All good. :)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1502149763' post='3349656']

Blue
[/quote]

I totally agree with you Blue

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1502184443' post='3349771']
New to me, I had to google him!

I'd happily play any of these songs.

Quality music. Great song writing, arrangement and production values on these records.
[/quote]

Yup, new to me, too (we do There's Nothing holding Me Back) - our singist/guitarist has two kids around twenty, apparently they keep him in the loop with what's down wid da kidz...my lad's 12, and couldn't care less... :D

I will echo a lot of sentiments on here, I play a lot of music I would never normally listen to at home and a lot of it I actively despise. However, if the audience is into it, I could play anything and get a buzz out of it, it's their energy that keeps me playing.

I have a very close friend who is a seriously good guitarist and he had always played in originals bands and done the occasional covers band but seriously obscure stuff. He then joined a soul/funk type band playing floor fillers and suddenly realised how much fun it was playing to people who loved the music, danced all night and enjoyed the band, even if he was playing music that was way off his usual tastes. He actually discovered what a phenomenal guitarist Nile Rodgers is after learning his stuff properly.

Keep on enjoying it guys, we all get our pleasure and enjoyment from different things and there is no shame in playing a good chunk of crowd pleasing cheese.

Our drummer this weekend said he was at a middle aged party and the playlist was basically our set list. It's no bad thing, middle aged people can pay bands for their fiftieth, cricket club dinner, etc. Young people stream music for free and face in to the highest cost of living and worst job markets in modern times. I know which market I want to appeal to!