Why become a member? ×

Short scale. Hmmmm.

Bridgehouse

[i]But if I got a call to play on a rock gig I'd be more inclined to reach for a Precision or a Thunderbird than for a Mustang.[/i]

Well, that's your call..

I misread your earlier post to imply that a short scale bass was in some way unable to 'make the grade' for certain styles of music; having played Precisions for 25 years before my current squeeze I wondered which styles these were.

If it's a cheapie short scale to try look at the Harley Benton Shorty at Thomann:

[url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbp90bk_shortscale_ebass.htm"]https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbp90bk_shortscale_ebass.htm[/url]

I've owned a handful of short scale basses and enjoyed them all one way or another. Epiphone EB0, Fender Musicmaster that subsequently had a P pickup put into it, a Squier Vista Series Musicmaster (that was very nice), Danelectro Longhorn. But the one I liked the best was surprisingly a Squier VM Mustang. Cost me around £180, it was lightweight, narrow neck, easy to play and sounded fantastic - that real really thumpy growl that Mustangs have. I've migrated to 5 strings now and moved them all on but, if I were looking to buy a shorty 4 again, it would be a Mustang for sure.

[quote name='burno70' timestamp='1502265791' post='3350258']
To the op: I wouldn't say you were missing out - they sound exactly like a regular 34er. But they do feel different at the low end. I've got small hands and I find them way easier to get around the first few frets - they''re very comfortable for me to play. But other than this I wouldn't say it was necessary to have one.
[/quote]

So sell me yours at a vastly reduced price ;)

I wanted to try a short scale so I got a Squier VM Jaguar SS. It is very comfortable to play for a number of reasons. Compared to my other basses especially the E-string might appear to have less definition. But that might be due to other causes than scale itself (strings brand and gauge, pickups brand and configuration, slimmer neck, different materials etc. etc. etc.). But it has a thump or Oomph! not surpassed by any other bass that I have. Many choices available at reasonable prices so give it a try.

Edited by 42Hz