Why become a member? ×

Short scale. Hmmmm.

Bridgehouse

I always regret selling my Fender Mustang. It was easy to play, great for long rehearsals and quite cool to gig with (IMO). Bit of a different presentation to a 34, but well worth trying. When the subject comes up I always end up pointing out that I'm 6'2" and quite comfortable playing a short scale. I'm currently casting a covetous eye over Hofner Club basses... the contemporary version with the centre block.

Just been listening to 1996 re-master of Deep Purple's album Fireball, and inside are 3 pics of Roger Glover toting a Mustang. Here's one:

Took mine out on a blues gig on Saturday and it worked really well, especially as stage room was very limited!

Edited by JapanAxe

I know there are a few helpful shortscale threads on BC - worth a look through. However, to answer directly here, I simply find shortscales easier to use (reduced tension, increased compliance), usually lighter, ergonomically efficient (less stretching for arms and fingers), and the tone lacks nothing - at least with a decently built instrument. I find that shorties are fun - quick and light - easy to pick-up and wander around with

[quote name='three' timestamp='1502184320' post='3349769']
I know there are a few helpful shortscale threads on BC - worth a look through. However, to answer directly here, I simply find shortscales easier to use (reduced tension, increased compliance), usually lighter, ergonomically efficient (less stretching for arms and fingers), and the tone lacks nothing - at least with a decently built instrument. I find that shorties are fun - quick and light - easy to pick-up and wander around with
[/quote]
+1

Years back, in my first era of bass playing, I had a Fender Musicmaster. It was quite old back then (early 80's)
At the time, I sold it to get a 34" scale bass. Now wish I'd kept it. At the time, I felt it lacked a bit of bottom end
Though that was probably due to string choice, set-up and my inexperience with amps / EQ'ing

I've got a SS Jazz that I don't use much - its just nice to have it there lol
It certainly lacks nothing a 34" has. Yes, it's lightweight and I don't have to stretch my left hand as much
But short scale feels a bit odd to me - I can over-stretch or over-shoot notes if I'm not concentrating
I've got a 32" Medium scale P bass, and I find that's an effortless switch from long scale

EDIT: Some of my "problems" re scale length may be due to the fact I also play DB

Edited by Marc S

To the op: I wouldn't say you were missing out - they sound exactly like a regular 34er. But they do feel different at the low end. I've got small hands and I find them way easier to get around the first few frets - they''re very comfortable for me to play. But other than this I wouldn't say it was necessary to have one.

I tried a Gibson SG bass last year.

Owned it for a few months - it was just kind of, well, okay.

The neck dive was ferocious. Never really understood what that meant until I played the SG!

Tone was again, okay....it was nothing special on any level. Maybe I was expecting the massive 60's EB3 vibe, which sadly, this bass did not have.

Best thing was the neck - played very easily. Worst thing was strapping a 'regular' bass back on - it made it feel like I was playing an upright around my neck! :o

Very surprised at the suggestions that a shortscale sounds just like a longscale. Quite clearly YMMV, but every shortscale I've owned (= lots) sounds markedly different to a longscale, with a greater degree of "thuddiness" which works very well for some things (blues, reggae, quite a bit of light jazz) but not so for other things.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1502269142' post='3350296']
Very surprised at the suggestions that a shortscale sounds just like a longscale. Quite clearly YMMV, but every shortscale I've owned (= lots) sounds markedly different to a longscale, with a greater degree of "thuddiness" which works very well for some things (blues, reggae, quite a bit of light jazz) but not so for other things.
[/quote]

I agree. I'm terrible at describing tone, but it does seem a bit different to me. Doesn't put me off, though, just a bit different.

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1502265728' post='3350257']
Years back, in my first era of bass playing, I had a Fender Musicmaster. It was quite old back then (early 80's)
At the time, I sold it to get a 34" scale bass. Now wish I'd kept it. At the time, I felt it lacked a bit of bottom end
Though that was probably due to string choice, set-up and my inexperience with amps / EQ'ing

I've got a SS Jazz that I don't use much - its just nice to have it there lol
It certainly lacks nothing a 34" has. Yes, it's lightweight and I don't have to stretch my left hand as much
But short scale feels a bit odd to me - I can over-stretch or over-shoot notes if I'm not concentrating
I've got a 32" Medium scale P bass, and I find that's an effortless switch from long scale

EDIT: Some of my "problems" re scale length may be due to the fact I also play DB
[/quote]

Part of my original thought re a short scale was seeing an old music master bass and wondering if it would be a fun addition..

My understanding of the lack of bottom end on the original ones was because they used a guitar pickup - you can swap them out and get a lot more low end thump apparently..

[i]"Very surprised at the suggestions that a shortscale sounds just like a longscale. Quite clearly YMMV, but every shortscale I've owned (= lots) sounds markedly different to a longscale, with a greater degree of "thuddiness" which works very well for some things (blues, reggae, quite a bit of light jazz) but not so for other things." [/i]

May I ask which are the musical styles that you consider a short scale to be less suited? - just curious..

My Mustang does a mean P Bass tone and I'm yet to find a musical style where a P bass doesn't work

I've just seriously over-indulged myself in a 1966 Gibson EB2. Short scale, but the neck is pretty much the same length as a standard P - the bridge is roughly where it would be on a "normal" guitar. Semi-hollow body. The sound is quite crisp and light until you hit the bass/ baritone pushbutton which switches it to a seriously deep punchy growl. Much loved by reggae players in its day apparently.

I've been thinking about buying one of the new Mustang basses but the lack of access to the upper frets is a big problem for me, I use that area of the neck a lot. It's really hard to get anywhere near the last 3 frets at the top of the neck. Other than that it felt great, and would have been perfect. Might still get one at some point.

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1502276175' post='3350377']
[i]"Very surprised at the suggestions that a shortscale sounds just like a longscale. Quite clearly YMMV, but every shortscale I've owned (= lots) sounds markedly different to a longscale, with a greater degree of "thuddiness" which works very well for some things (blues, reggae, quite a bit of light jazz) but not so for other things." [/i]

May I ask which are the musical styles that you consider a short scale to be less suited? - just curious..

My Mustang does a mean P Bass tone and I'm yet to find a musical style where a P bass doesn't work
[/quote]

I have no doubt that your Mustang is a great bass, and plenty of great rock songs have been recorded using one. The same is true of Hofners, Mosrites, and any number of shortscale basses.

But if I got a call to play on a rock gig I'd be more inclined to reach for a Precision or a Thunderbird than for a Mustang.

No bass does a meaner P bass tone than ... erm ... a P bass.

:)