Why become a member? ×

New Bass Rig Advice

Bananaman

Hi,
I've recently sold my ashdown 300 watt 2x 10 combo (MAG 210-T-300) & am looking into a cab & head setup.
I've been looking at ampegs as i'm pretty sure that sound will suit me best but wanted some advice on the different ampeg stuff & maybe any alternative brands- its difficult to try all the different types of stuff out as most stores only stock half the lines, if that.

i'm using a rickenbacker 4003. i play in an upbeat rock 3-piece (influences right from 60's stuff through to present- all the classic 3-pieces especially- nirvana, jam etc), rare use any effects (boss overdrive), just looking to get a really good sound but don't need masses of power or a huge stack, as size & weight is an issue as i live on the 2nd floor & we often pack all our bands gear into one car :) (assuming we don't need drums). generally playing pubs, small clubs with occasional bigger gigs (small festival this summer). My solid state 300 watt combo was fine for power, and was DI'd at bigger venues anyway.

For a head i'm looking at 100 watt ampeg all valve head V 4BH ([url="http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/v4bh/index.html"]http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/v4bh/index.html[/url])
I want the valve sound but the 300 watt classic head is too heavy/expensive/way too powerful for my requirements.
I'm not technical at all so am unsure how the wattage of sold state vs valve compare- will 100 watts handle small venues in a 3 piece & be fine for being DI'ed at the bigger places. Is the 100 watts going be enough/how would this compare in sound level to the 300 watt solid state combo?

For a cab i'm thinking a 4x10 will be about as much in weight and size i can shift around easily/fit in the car whilst providing a great sound- so essentially i want the best sound for a 4x10 alone rather than a 4x10 that will be backed up by a 1x15 etc
Was after opinions about which would be better suited to me out of the two classic series ampeg 4x10's- [url="http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/svt410hlf/index.html"]ampeg SVT 410hlf[/url] or the [url="http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/svt410he/index.html"]svt410 hle[/url] .
from reviews i've read the view seems to be that the hlf is a better stand alone cab, but it can often be too bassy.

Any advice/opinions on this greatly appreciated :huh:
and if anyone has any ampeg stuff they want to sell PM me! ;-)

I've got a V4BH & USED to own a SVT410HLF so PM(message) me if U want any more info.....
The V4BH IS 100w BUT the 100w is probly as loud as yr 300w Mag. into the right cab anyway. Good amp-not too heavy , loud enough for MOST gigs-has a line out anyway.. BUT IMHO DON'T get the SVT410HLF!!! if U live on 2nd floor! It's a HEavy MF!!! It's heavier than my Bergantino NV610-which has 2 more 10"s, is 12lb (abouts) lighter, is EZ'er to move, thinner(410HLF is THICK-19") & EZ'er to pack & SOUNDS HEAPS better IMHO. If U can get the Sadowsky SA410 cab. it's been discontinued but U can still find a few about, or look at a Bergantino cab. They're KILLER cabs & are FAR easier to move than the HLF. The SVT410HLF was a great cab-don't get me wrong- BUT just SO bulky & heavy-IT injured me a few times in the 2 yrs I had it!- Usually thumb or fingers squashed under 'towel rack' handle. It's a HARD cab to move up stairs too-harder than my NV610!!! Even 2 ppl moving it isn't as EZ as 2 ppl with my Berg! Just the shape-Loved the sound tho!
Bottom Line- if getting the V4BH, U NEED an efficient cab-to get the volume outta the amp. So look at a cab with 100db sensitivity-I think MY Berg is 103 or 102db.... Makes a LOT of difference!
as u r in UK what about the Orange AD200 valve bass amp- s'posed 2 b a beauty!!!

Edited by rodl2005

thanks so much for the info, much appreciated.

after much researching i've ordered an ampeg head - V4 BH! the orange ones are too far out my reach.

thanks for confirming my suspicions about the SVT410HLF Rodl2005. just not that bit too heavy & cumbersome for my circumstances right now as i thought. would be nice to get an ampeg cab to match but am worried about volume now. am thinking the svt410 hle will be a good bet if i can find one second hand. 20 pounds lighter than the HLF & slightly smaller, although this is only 98db sensitivity i think?

Edited by Bananaman

Yep good thinking... & CONGRATS on getting a V4BH- nice amps IMHO. Keep an eye out - U may find the cab U R after & would even be a good idea-as U R on 2nd floor- to invest in a trolley- this will help save yr cabs rear from the stairs. keep us posted as 2 how U go!

[quote name='rodl2005' post='4222' date='May 22 2007, 11:16 AM']Bananaman- what sorta cabs have U got at the mo'- just want to get a feel 4 what U got & may like![/quote]

i haven't got any!! i sold my ashdown 2x10 combo a few weeks back. that's the only amp i've owned so this is my first foray into head & cab setups. i've just been looking at orange 4x10 cabs. the sensitivity on these is one of the highest i've heard so would certainly help with volume. has anyone got an idea of how an ampeg valve head would sound with one of these??

[url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/14332"]http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/fl...roduct_id/14332[/url]

AFAIK it'd sound great - I've not heard the Orange bass cabs tho I've heard they're good. If the price is OK & the weight, wheels etc- go 4 it! If not- keep looking- Schroeder cabs are LOUD cabs -bit $$$$ but even the 1210L(one 10" & 1 x 12"-neo's) is a LOUD amp & sounds FAR bigger than many 4x10's ..........check out Schroeder.com & I'm pretty sure there are dealers in UK!

[quote name='rodl2005' post='7949' date='May 28 2007, 08:40 AM']I used my V4BH in my big band-8 piece-soul/funk/etc- sounded GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!! No PROBS with volume- opposite actually! HAd plenty- I only used it on about 1/2 vol. so NO dirt added either! Just sounded GREAT!!!!!SAT in the MIX BEAUTIFULLY![/quote]

well that certainly confirms they've got some power then if it cut through in an 8 piece!! :)

Hi, Are you still looking for a cab? I have 3 ampegs, which I have hardly used, sitting in my back room which may be of interest.

Ampeg SVT410HE 8 ohm 500w very good cond

Ampeg SVT15E 8 ohm 200w good cond

Ampeg SVT210HE 8 ohm 200w ok cond

I use 2x10 and 1x15 Mesa Boogie cabs which are very heavy. I brought these cabs when I was trying to get lighter gear but decided to stick with the Boogies as I like the sound. You can mix and match any two of these cabs to get a great stack.

BANANAMAN- get the 2x10 & 1x15 AMPEGS CHRIS B. has 4 sale if they're a good price- hard to beat matching this head with these cabs-just with the 15" would be a killer OLD SCHOOL SOUND but the 2x10" would give a modern (& louder) option. IMHO!!!!!!!!

[quote name='chris_b' post='8433' date='May 29 2007, 01:06 AM']Hi, Are you still looking for a cab?[/quote]

Yes I'm still on the lookout, just PM-ed you Chris!

[quote name='rodl2005' post='8439' date='May 29 2007, 01:50 AM']BANANAMAN- get the 2x10 & 1x15 AMPEGS CHRIS B. has 4 sale if they're a good price- hard to beat matching this head with these cabs-just with the 15" would be a killer OLD SCHOOL SOUND but the 2x10" would give a modern (& louder) option. IMHO!!!!!!!![/quote]

Am I right in thinking that the 2x10 twinned with the 1x15 would give a more varied sound than the 4x10 alone? also how would those two combinations differ in volume?

i'm thinking i'd want the 4x10 alone (maybe with 1x15 as well for bigger gigs) OR the 2x10 with the 1x15. The 2x10 & 1x15 would obviously be much more portable but then i want to get the best sound mainly. :)

Edited by Bananaman

I don't know if this helps your decision, but I've got an HLF -- and a three-wheels-on-each-side trolley from Machine Mart like [url="http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/csl2-industrial-stair-climber"]this[/url]

It makes the rather bulky cab a one-man job on stairs. That's just as well because we rehearse in a cellar :) .

I tried the HLF side-by-side with a 2x10 and 1x15. I liked the two-cab route slightly better for sound, but not enough to pay more for them new.

Cheers

Mark

Edited by misrule

IME a 2x10" & 1x15" combo IS one of the BEST spkr combos U can get! 4 small gigs U can just take the 15"-or the 2x10"- I used a 1x15"EV for 13yrs with GREAT results. Then for bigger gigs take 'em both! Sound wise this combo- as stated above- IMHO- sounds better by far than a single 4x10. The 15" gives a WICKED old school thump & 10"s give U punchyness & modern snap( tho a 15" will give plenty of punch, snap too). But this set up IMHO- is Perfect 4 U. 1. would match PERFECTLY with the V4BH( V4BH & SVT15= basically an old B15-as used by J.Jamerson on Motwn recordings) 2. covers a LOT of sound spectrum/versatility of sound. 3. IS extremely portable. 4. when put together the 2 cabs really do become greater than "the sum of their parts"!!!! A single 2x10" is great, a single 1x15" is great, but comining 'em = BLISS!!!!!!! 5. VERSATILITY(again) but U can leave the 15 on the floor-or on a crate- pointing straight out, & angle the 2x10 up 2 yr ears to hear really well!!!! Without having to 'drown out' the others in band. I could go on!!! If I was U & they're a good price & condition- NO QUESTION- I'd grab 'em! -IF U like the sound!!!!!!!!! Good luck. Let me know how U go!
Rod.

[quote name='misrule' post='8567' date='May 29 2007, 12:54 PM']I don't know if this helps your decision, but I've got an HLF -- and a three-wheels-on-each-side trolley from Machine Mart like [url="http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/csl2-industrial-stair-climber"]this[/url]

It makes the rather bulky cab a one-man job on stairs. That's just as well because we rehearse in a cellar :) .

I tried the HLF side-by-side with a 2x10 and 1x15. I liked the two-cab route slightly better for sound, but not enough to pay more for them new.

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

Cheers Misrule, those trolleys sound handy, looks like the just roll up the stairs! thanks for the opinion on the 2x10 + 1x15 sound :huh:

[quote name='rodl2005' post='8943' date='May 30 2007, 02:15 AM']IME a 2x10" & 1x15" combo IS one of the BEST spkr combos U can get! 4 small gigs U can just take the 15"-or the 2x10"- I used a 1x15"EV for 13yrs with GREAT results. Then for bigger gigs take 'em both! Sound wise this combo- as stated above- IMHO- sounds better by far than a single 4x10. The 15" gives a WICKED old school thump & 10"s give U punchyness & modern snap( tho a 15" will give plenty of punch, snap too). But this set up IMHO- is Perfect 4 U. 1. would match PERFECTLY with the V4BH( V4BH & SVT15= basically an old B15-as used by J.Jamerson on Motwn recordings) 2. covers a LOT of sound spectrum/versatility of sound. 3. IS extremely portable. 4. when put together the 2 cabs really do become greater than "the sum of their parts"!!!! A single 2x10" is great, a single 1x15" is great, but comining 'em = BLISS!!!!!!! 5. VERSATILITY(again) but U can leave the 15 on the floor-or on a crate- pointing straight out, & angle the 2x10 up 2 yr ears to hear really well!!!! Without having to 'drown out' the others in band. I could go on!!! If I was U & they're a good price & condition- NO QUESTION- I'd grab 'em! -IF U like the sound!!!!!!!!! Good luck. Let me know how U go!
Rod.[/quote]

Cheers again Rod, that does sound like the best option for me, will wait to hear back from Chris about it. deffo sounds good in terms of being more portable/adaptable than just getting one cab too.

[quote name='rodl2005' post='8943' date='May 30 2007, 02:15 AM']IME a 2x10" & 1x15" combo IS one of the BEST spkr combos U can get! 4 small gigs U can just take the 15"-or the 2x10"- I used a 1x15"EV for 13yrs with GREAT results. Then for bigger gigs take 'em both! Sound wise this combo- as stated above- IMHO- sounds better by far than a single 4x10. The 15" gives a WICKED old school thump & 10"s give U punchyness & modern snap( tho a 15" will give plenty of punch, snap too). But this set up IMHO- is Perfect 4 U. 1. would match PERFECTLY with the V4BH( V4BH & SVT15= basically an old B15-as used by J.Jamerson on Motwn recordings) 2. covers a LOT of sound spectrum/versatility of sound. 3. IS extremely portable. 4. when put together the 2 cabs really do become greater than "the sum of their parts"!!!! A single 2x10" is great, a single 1x15" is great, but comining 'em = BLISS!!!!!!! 5. VERSATILITY(again) but U can leave the 15 on the floor-or on a crate- pointing straight out, & angle the 2x10 up 2 yr ears to hear really well!!!! Without having to 'drown out' the others in band. I could go on!!! If I was U & they're a good price & condition- NO QUESTION- I'd grab 'em! -IF U like the sound!!!!!!!!! Good luck. Let me know how U go!
Rod.[/quote]

I currently own an Ampeg SVT-4PRO and I run it through a 1x15 and 2x10 cab just as you said - what a monstrous sound! Much more portable and versatile than buying one big single cabinet. Highly recommended!

DITTO/+1 or - I agree!!!
Sure I've got a NV610, but I also have a Aggie GS112 & a EV1x15" So depending on access & needs etc sometimes I just take the GS112, Or just the EV115, or both! OR just the NV610, OR the NV610, the GS112 AND the EV115}=2ohms & all these cabs with the Fender 300PRO = SONIC SLAUGHTER!!!!!! 8)

I used to run a 4x10" + 1x15" setup and then I switched to an 8x10", and the key will always be 15" vs 10" if you're choosing.

15" speakers tend to develop their full wallop quite far from the speaker, maybe about 5 rows in, whereas 10"s develop much closer, probably onstage, so what you hear is generally what the audience hears. 15"s tend to scoop mids slightly and 10"s have more mids and tend to growl a little. 15"s are better for super lows obviously.

If it were me, I'd go for the 4x10" + 2x10" setup, because all the advantages of flexibility are there but the low end would be a little tighter and more subdued, and you can coax lows from a decent 4x10"(which the SVT410HE is).

However, the 2x10 + 15 setup is definitely more old school and will rock like a bitch, great for one guitar bands or bands without heavy guitars wailing everywhere. A 15" cab will be lighter than a 4x10" as well.

Edited by Dan_Nailed

oh been busy, not been on for a while. yeah i tried out the 3 cabs chris had going (cheers chris) & in the end i went for the (ampeg SVT) 15he & SVT 210he as they're both really easy to move & give a good mix of options. not actually gigged with it yet so can't report on how its sounding but the 2x10 alone is sounding really good so looking forward to trying the full rig out at a gig on saturday!
really pleased with the ampeg V4BH head, really nice tone. hard to tell about the power playing alone but its sounding pretty capable.

cheers for all the advice :)

Good to hear Bananaman.Glad 2 hear U got the 15 & 2x10- gives U plenty of options-just make sure U set the impedance selector correctly!!!!! Should sound WICKED with the V4BH. Let us know how U go after the gig SAT. This Fri I'll be gigging the V4BH at a club we regularly play at-I've not used the V4BH there tho. We have P.A. support there-so be interesting to see what the DI'd sound is like out front!! Will ALSO get back 2 U here re my impressions of the rig(Ampeg V4BH/NV610) after gig.
Rod.

• 3 weeks later...

just an update on how i'm getting on with the new rig! played a small festival gig couple of weeks back & it sounded ace, really loud & big sound. didn't need to push the volume much at all. then played a gig in fairly small venue (200 capacity) last week but only used the 2x10 cab with the head (due to lack of room in the car) & it was lacking on volume i thought. had the gain and master volumes set to about 7 and 10 respectively. in fairness, it probably wasn't helped by the other band insisting the amp be further across the stage and not by the drums, nearer to where i was to sing, so i wasn't playing that close to it. think i'll generally always need both cabs by the look of it, which is a pain as i have two floors to negotiate at my house, plus a long alleyway before i can get it in the car!
the full setup is sounding really amazing though. my indecisive nature is just thinking maybe i'd be better off switching the 1x15 & buying a 4x10 for most gigs and keeping the 2x10 as an add on for bigger gigs and practicing with at home. okay i'd lose out on that extra bottom end from the 1x15 but less lugging around would even things out!

any opinions on how much louder a 4x10 would be than a 2x10 (with an ampeg 100 watt all valve head)??

Edited by Bananaman

Hi BANANA, yeah a 4x10 would be louder & more punchy than the single 15, But IMHO the V4 LOVES 15"'s why dontcha try taking just the 1x15 instead of the 2x10 B4 getting any different cabs. But in answer to yr question-yeas a 4x10 will push more air than a single 15 & therefore be louder -if it's an efficient spkr & cab design. What I'd do- keep the 15 & 2x10 & either put removeable casters-wheels- on bottom of em, &/or buy a -not very expensive- trolley with the 3 wheels in a triangle set up-for going up & down stairs. I'm tempted 2 get one meself & I don't have ANY stairs I regularly have to go up. But when I do come to some - I know I'm set! They're NOT expensive either-would be less than 40 british lbs IME.
Good luck with it...keep me posted.
Regards,
Rod.