Why become a member? ×

New Yamaha bass price hikes

hookys6stringbass

I'm really liking the new Yamaha BB 734a looks and sounds fantastic...
I was just about to buy one when the price has shot up by approximately £100 ...
GAK had them for £699 last week and now they're up to £803!!!

I've emailed GAK to find out why they have gone up,but so far had no reply...
Anyone out there no now why they have gone up???

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1502298436' post='3350561']
Exchange rate is killing everything at the moment. I was just about to buy another monitor to pair with our other one and it's gone up £50 from the same shop since we bought the last one 5 months ago.
[/quote]

it's even worse down under, if that makes you feel better.

I ordered a second Hartke XL210 to match my existing one. Dude gave me my usual loyal shopper discount, down from $450 to $350. I had to wait for new stock to arrive into Oz. When it arrived about 8 weeks later he embarassingly asked what price he gave me, when I said $350 he said "Sh!t, they've gone up to $600 RRP, I'm gonna have to show the boss the quote I gave you", hehe

I managed to preorder an Ibanez SR1400 for £899 last week when both the MLG and NT variants were at this price for a few days . They are now up to £999 and £1099 respectively with the same retailer - I asked if I could change the bass to the other colour but was told I would have to pay the increased price if I did as the suppliers had increased their prices.

I'm awaiting stock so I hope I actually receive it as it seems I've been lucky getting in just ahead of the hike..

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1502298436' post='3350561']
Exchange rate is killing everything at the moment. I was just about to buy another monitor to pair with our other one and it's gone up £50 from the same shop since we bought the last one 5 months ago.
[/quote]

I'm such an idiot...didn't even think about the exchange rate...
I think I'll hold on until September when they arrive...hopefully the prices come down..

[quote name='edstraker123' timestamp='1502367807' post='3350969']
I managed to preorder an Ibanez SR1400 for £899 last week when both the MLG and NT variants were at this price for a few days . They are now up to £999 and £1099 respectively with the same retailer - I asked if I could change the bass to the other colour but was told I would have to pay the increased price if I did as the suppliers had increased their prices.
I'm awaiting stock so I hope I actually receive it as it seems I've been lucky getting in just ahead of the hike..
[/quote]

Ibanez are exceptionally good value at the moment. I bought a BTB Premium last week and there was nothing else new that compared to it in terms of price/quality/spec

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1502399288' post='3351254']
I think there's also the consideration for CITIES protecting rosewood too, so the import/export of it has also been impacting the price of guitars.
Mostly due to exchange rates.... we need to stop having elections in the UK XD
[/quote]

Lots of rosewood in my BTB, my understanding is that rosewood needs to be licenced but maybe some don't have the licenced stocks to draw on.

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1502399877' post='3351261']

Ibanez are exceptionally good value at the moment. I bought a BTB Premium last week and there was nothing else new that compared to it in terms of price/quality/spec

Lots of rosewood in my BTB, my understanding is that rosewood needs to be licenced but maybe some don't have the licenced stocks to draw on.
[/quote]

It depends if it's old stock, for the store, and whether they'll be importing any more or what strand of rosewood it is.
As far as my knowledge goes, there's different varieties of Rosewood and similar woods like Pau Ferro which Fender have started using on the new mexican Noir models.

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1502399374' post='3351256']
[url="https://blog.andertons.co.uk/guitars/cites"]https://blog.anderto...k/guitars/cites[/url]

Worth a check :)
[/quote]

Thanks that includes some really useful information....nice yo know that you can still travel with your guitar without worrying

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1502400092' post='3351263']
It depends if it's old stock, for the store, and whether they'll be importing any more or what strand of rosewood it is.
As far as my knowledge goes, there's different varieties of Rosewood and similar woods like Pau Ferro which Fender have started using on the new mexican Noir models.
[/quote]
Your right there are lots of different species of rosewood and also ebony and probably lots more. They aren't the same at all really