Why become a member? ×

Chicken or egg?

ivansc

I am sort of at a crossroads and wondering what to do.
The singer of my long - time 60s band died a few weeks ago and the rest of us have sort of slid into doing other things.
In my case, a couple of friends who form the basis of most of the house bands around here said they wanted to do some gigs with me and went so far as to actually get us a couple, which went well enough that I now have the likelihood of more if I let the promoters & landlords involved know I am up for it.
The bad news is that the guys have said they will always play for me "whenever they are available".

So - obviously if I decide to do this seriously, I need some regular musicians who aren`t already booked out to wazoo.
Bearing in mind the comments on here about auditions, what do you think?
Do I book a bunch of gigs so I can say I have work waiting before recruiting players or get the " new " band personnel sorted out first?
What I do isnt the usual 3 minute 12 bars so I will need people who are prepared to learn songs.

Edited by ivansc

Get the gigs. If these guys will honour the first gig in the diary then you might be OK.

As long as these players are around for long enough to get the band off the ground it will give you enough time to build up a list of good deps that might become permanent members at some time.

Ambient - this is all very new to me. I have never been the front man in a band before. Hence the reason I asked for opinions, but with 3-1 in favour of getting the gig first, looks like that may be what I need to do.

I may well be recruiting a bass player as I will be singing and giwristing, so anyone on here in the Cambridge area that's interested give me a shout.
But I have a feeling that getting a good reliable drummist will be hardest.

:D