Why become a member? ×

Nuts and String Gauge

halibut

Hi,

How much of an increase in string gauge can you get away with before needing the nut slots opening up?

I've got a Squier Classic Vibe 70s P and the factory set that came on on it is .045, 0.065, 0.080, .100 Gauges. I have a hankering to try a set of nylon tape wounds and most of them are much larger, but D'Addario do a set (ETB92) at .050, .065, .085,.105

Is .005 thicker on three of the strings something that typically won't cause much of an issue at the nut? Or any permanent opening up of the slots? Obviously it might need a few setup tweaks, but it's the nut I'm mostly concerned with.

I'm not necessarily looking for "100% perfect", just reasonably playable to give them a whirl and see if they sound as good up close as they do in the demos I've listened to online, whilst being able to go back to the factory gauge if I don't. If the tape wounds become a permanent feature I may have the slots opened up a little.

Cheers,

H.

The nylon tape wounds are naturally ' a bit slippy' as regards sliding through the nut slots - which will help, but I would make sure there are no sharp edges or burrs on the plastic nut that may cause damage to the outer wrap - which could lead to unravelling!

I've found that an ETB92 set fits quite happily on my MIM Jazz and Precision with no modification needed to the nut, and I've been really happy with them, particularly for fretless. The bigger .115 E in Rotosound 88s won't fit without tweaking.

Cheers for all the feedback folks.

[quote name='atsampson' timestamp='1502359340' post='3350883']
I've found that an ETB92 set fits quite happily on my MIM Jazz and Precision with no modification needed to the nut, and I've been really happy with them, particularly for fretless. The bigger .115 E in Rotosound 88s won't fit without tweaking.
[/quote]

Great stuff Atsampson. Do you get much hum with them? I've heard nylon wraps can cause hums because they can't ground your fingers via the bridge ground.

[quote name='halibut' timestamp='1502441374' post='3351421']
Do you get much hum with them? I've heard nylon wraps can cause hums because they can't ground your fingers via the bridge ground.
[/quote]

No, but my usual bass rig doesn't suffer from this anyway - it'd be better to fix the cause of the hum rather than relying on being grounded via the strings (you don't want bursts of hum when you take your fingers off the strings!).

Even nylon tape wound strings have a steel core which is attached to the ball end - which makes contact with the bridge = ground!

^*In most cases*^ :happy:

Your body is a great big aerial - hum attractor - so nylons could help stop you introducing hum via the strings! :rolleyes:

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='atsampson' timestamp='1502446250' post='3351471']
it'd be better to fix the cause of the hum rather than relying on being grounded via the strings
[/quote]
Thankfully I don't get any hum currently (not since getting rid of the dimmer switches in the house anyway). I'd just read a few posts complaining of hum when using wraps.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1502447581' post='3351488']
Your body is a great big aerial - hum attractor - so nylons could help stop you introducing hum via the strings! :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Bonus! I hadn't thought of it like that.