Why become a member? ×

My P's

Handwired

From left to right:
Fender 78
ESP Vintage Four (Bare Knuckle 65)
Fender Custom Shop 57 Journeyman (Bare Knuckle 65)
ESP Vintage Four (Lollar)
Fender 60th anniversary (Bare Knuckle)
Limelight 65 (Lollar) is across the top.

Any guesses at which one's the best sounding/playing/all rounder?
[attachment=251060:P Collection.JPG]

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1502370117' post='3350998']
What does the Bare Knuckle pick-up give you that the custom shop pick-up didn't? I have an '57 journey man too & love the sound so interested to hear what I'm missing?
[/quote]

I have the Bareknuckle in my '61P (installed by previous owner) and it's an excellent pickup. I'm getting a '64 restored at the moment and that's getting a Nordstrand NP4v put in - quite looking forward to seeing how they both compare actually.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1502370117' post='3350998']
Nice collection!

What does the Bare Knuckle pick-up give you that the custom shop pick-up didn't? I have an '57 journey man too & love the sound so interested to hear what I'm missing?
[/quote]Everything! tone, power, clarity but most of all punch. However, I blame the staggered poles on the Custom shop pup, especially the 'A' as it's height dictated how low the action could go.

Come on - tell us which one sounds best.... I can't bear the suspense! lol ;)
Given my current, and rather sudden onset of GAS for a 62 RI,
on seeing the photo of your collection - perhaps I CAN justify one more P bass?

Ok, in sixth place, the Limelight, but still plays and sounds better than most US standard Precisions I've owned/played (pickup change is a must on Limelights).
Then the 78, no pickup change necessary, a fine example.
Next is the sunburst ESP, a great player. these basses have a lot of bottom end but the stock SD vintage hot enhanced the lows even more, hence the Lollar to tighten up the basement.
Third is my 60th anniversary, This is a very special bass, the best player out of the bunch, the vintage Fender pup wasn't too bad, but lacked in fundamental lows due to the ash body I suspect. The Lollar didn't make any difference but the BK 65 did. The BK 58 with it's thicker bottom may have been a better choice, but sometimes it's good to have the option to use a less overpowering instrument in a difficult room.
Equal first, the maple necked ESP vintage four, (very similar to the other V4 but I prefer the maple neck).and the Fender CS Journeyman. The Lollar didn't improve the tone much but the BK 65 made this guitar very special, not the best player as the neck is a monster but the tone is awesome, excelling in the upper mids.
I've tried quite a few high end pickups in all of these basses and found that different basses suit different pickups, however, then there's the BK 65's which seem to bring out the best in any bass they're put in.
My main amps are a Ampeg V4-B and a Genz Benz STR 900, both through a Barefaced Retro Six10. I mostly use DR Lo-riders.

[quote name='Handwired' timestamp='1502380913' post='3351122']
Everything! tone, power, clarity but most of all punch. However, I blame the staggered poles on the Custom shop pup, especially the 'A' as it's height dictated how low the action could go.
[/quote]

Interesting. Yes I could do without the A-poles too, they're annoying - I don't use super low action anyway so have got it to nearly where I want it but it would be so much easier if it just had normal height A-poles - I do really like the tone of the bass/pick-up though!

Anyway - glad you're enjoying the Journeyman, I think they're awesome playing instruments - once you get used to that chunky neck it's just so comfortable to play!