Why become a member? ×

please remove

Skezza

I have been playing bass about 12 years. The first bass i bought was a 4 string bass collection from a cash converters. I have since owned a number of bass collection basses and now have two 5 string active jazz style bass collections. I have only ever owned or played one other bass the Warmoth jazz in my profile picture which i no longer have.

ok so I know I next to nothing about other basses.

I just bought an aerodyne jazz which I really like but I think needs a bit of upgrading

The pots and wiring look like rubbish

I would like a better bridge and probably a pickup upgrade.

so what i am looking for is suggestions from jazz owners or aerodyne owners as to the best/ most worth while upgrade to perform

and what kit to use

Edited by Skezza

I'e owned a couple of Aerodyne basses. I replaced the pickups with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounds. Not to everyones taste but I like them. So pickup wise it depends on what you're looking for.

I always thought the pots did the job just fine. Never looked at them but they sounded good and worked without issue.

The bridge is a pain though. Since it's a curved top and the bridge is recessed getting a fitting replacement is a bugger. I have seen a couple of different bridges. My Red Aerodyne had a bridge that had a thicker back plate than my blue one. Again I thought the bridges worked just fine but regular replacements like the Gotoh and Badass etc... will require modification to fit rather than just putting it on like a regular bass.

I put a Badass Bridge and Seymour Duncan Hot Stack Jazz pickup in my old Aerodyne. Some of them come with a flat area for the bridge, as mine did, so replacement bridge not an issue. Def worth checking on that aspect first tho.

thanks for the input guys

I stripped cleaned and reassembled the bridge and although its not as good or solid as the gotoh bridges on my BCs it all works fine so will probably stick with it

ditto the machine heads

i will try to listen to some pickups the sd quarterpounders have been recommended by a few people.

Is the sd jazz pickup hum cancelling as that is the only issue with my bass colllections the pickups are single coil and only hum cancel if you have both on at the same time

[quote name='sirmuppet' timestamp='1502398803' post='3351250']
I'e owned a couple of Aerodyne basses. I replaced the pickups with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounds. Not to everyones taste but I like them. So pickup wise it depends on what you're looking for.

I always thought the pots did the job just fine. Never looked at them but they sounded good and worked without issue.

The bridge is a pain though. Since it's a curved top and the bridge is recessed getting a fitting replacement is a bugger. I have seen a couple of different bridges. My Red Aerodyne had a bridge that had a thicker back plate than my blue one. Again I thought the bridges worked just fine but regular replacements like the Gotoh and Badass etc... will require modification to fit rather than just putting it on like a regular bass.
[/quote]

I have the same problem with a recessed bridge for area. It seems a little careful routing is needed to fit a high end replacement. I was thinking of the Babitz.

I have the hot stack in my P-bass special. Currently paired with a SPB-2. The hot stack is a nice pickup and adds a good amount of brightness without hum. Though I have to say I usually end up running just my P pickup as when I have the two on at the same time it's hard to break through the mix. One of the main reasons I'm switching back to my Original P pickup but that's another story.

So... Yeah I think the Hot stack is a good choice though when I used the QP set I had no real issues with bad hum. If I remember the stock jazz pickup has been mentioned to be a bit noisier but I never really thought so.