Why become a member? ×

Help required Re Fender MIJ 70's Reissue Precisions

Deedee

Hi all. I'm after a bit of product range knowledge here.

I have a gorgeous 2011 MIJ Fender 70's Reissue Precision in Olympic White with a maple/block board. I absolutely love this bass to the extent that I'd like another 😁.

My question is, what were the other colour options? Did they do a sunburst/rosewood option?

Cheers

The 2011 models were indeed available with the a Sunburst option but not an RW board as far as I know but I could be wrong:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/4786451-fender-classic-series-70s-precision-bass-2011-mij

However, there were older PB70 models that were available from Japan such as OLY and RW, Black and RW with mirrored pick guard (I had one) and also Ash bodied models in either sunburst or natural with RW or Maple boards! You'll see some on eBay if you search PB70, but beware of CITES if you want a Rosewood model when it comes to importing.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1502404810' post='3351301']
The 2011 models were indeed available with the a Sunburst option but not an RW board as far as I know but I could be wrong:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/4786451-fender-classic-series-70s-precision-bass-2011-mij

However, there were older PB70 models that were available from Japan such as OLY and RW, Black and RW with mirrored pick guard (I had one) and also Ash bodied models in either sunburst or natural with RW or Maple boards! You'll see some on eBay if you search PB70, but beware of CITES if you want a Rosewood model when it comes to importing.
[/quote]

Thanks for that.

Do you know if the neck shape is the same on all of the '70's' reissues?

Wow! I thought I had too many P basses Steve Browning! ;)
Re the neck profiles Steve - were the B profile necks the chunkiest?
I had a 70's maple board and it had a really wide, deep neck - too chunky for me....

I'm now GASsing for a Fender Japan RI like your two sunburst ones - what are their necks like?

DeeDee, I played a Japan 70's RI in Gwent Music, Newport - it was black, but not mirror scratchplate
Maple board, blocks & bound. Looked lovely but neck too chunky for me
It was there a couple of years, and hadn't sold - may even still be there
The shop shipped it to their Cardiff branch for a few months.... but it didn't sell there either

Edited by Marc S

The B profile is between a Jazz and the 'regular' Precision. I don't find them to be chunky (front to back) at all. The main reason I have these is to use them rather than the older basses (which are between 66 and 75). They are pretty much identical in terms of the neck size.

I am surprised the maple board was wide. I have a Classic 50s which is a wide neck but that is what I would expect.

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1502463091' post='3351685']
[attachment=251152:DSCN0188.JPG]

The two reissues (with tort plates added) are the one on the far left and the 4th one along.
[/quote]

Very nice 😍. You really ought to thin the herd a bit and sell one of those .................

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1502404810' post='3351301']

[/quote]
Indeed, I have a 'P' serial number (2002 - 2004?) with a natural ash body and a maple neck, but it has dots rather than blocks. It has a 'B' profile neck, somewhere inbetween a Jazz and a traditional P bass shape.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1502528780' post='3351995']

Indeed, I have a 'P' serial number (2002 - 2004?) with a natural ash body and a maple neck, but it has dots rather than blocks. It has a 'B' profile neck, somewhere inbetween a Jazz and a traditional P bass shape.
[/quote]

Yeah I've been searching the web drooling over some of these natural Ash examples. They look stunning.

I think my absolute ideal would be natural Ash but with a rosewood board 😍

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1502471044' post='3351738']
Cotswold Bass Guitars has got a SB/Maple version at £575. Looks nice for the P fans! :)

[url="http://www.cotswoldbassguitars.co.uk/for-sale.htm"]http://www.cotswoldb...uk/for-sale.htm[/url]
[/quote]

Drooled over that a few times, must resist. Had a white one, the neck profile def isn`t too chunky front to back. They`re nice playing basses.

• 1 month later...